Slim pc case question

#1 Edited by hyperbertha (30 posts) -

What is the slimmest case that would fit the following specs:

Radeon R9 280x , Intel Core i7 2600 (with 8 gb ram), 650 Watt Antec vp650 psu

I'm looking for something like the Alienware X51 case.

#2 Posted by MB (12741 posts) -

You didn't list what kind of motherboard you have.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -

@mb: I think he might be asking because he is planning a build, not got one already?

If the Radeon R9 290x is a full size card, I believe the BitFenix case will work for you. I think it takes a Mini ITX motherboard, but I'm not 100% sure as I just built using a MidTower and dont know much about AMD GPUs.

#4 Edited by MB (12741 posts) -

@bollard: I dunno... the i7 2600 is several years old, it's hard to tell.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -

@mb: Oh yeah, I glossed over that.

#6 Edited by hyperbertha (30 posts) -

@bollard:It's R9 280x. Looks full sized. Can you suggest something a bit more slim and console like? Like the X51 from Alienware? Or is that impossible with my card?

@mb: My motherboard is DH67BL. I already have this build on a Coolermaster mid sized tower.

#7 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -

@bollard:It's R9 280x. Looks full sized. Can you suggest something a bit more slim and console like? Like the X51 from Alienware? Or is that impossible with my card?

That card won't fit in the X51. The card is approx 15cm high and that case is only 10cm thick.

@mb: My motherboard is DH67BL. I already have this build on a Coolermaster mid sized tower.

That board is a Micro ATX board, but I don't know enough about small PC builds to say if that will fit fine in a little case.

#8 Edited by Brendan (7845 posts) -

I don't know if this is too big for you but it's console shaped and designed to be in a media centre: Silverstone Black Aluminum Micro-ATX Media Centre

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163239

It fits a Micro-ATX board which should work perfectly for you. I saw it in a build with a large video card earlier this year.

#9 Edited by MonetaryDread (2078 posts) -

It depends on the motherboard (Edit: Ooops, its a Mircro ATX board). I would always recommend a Corsair case, the 350D is the best Micro ATX case I have ever seen. It is slim, quiet, durable, lots of cable routing options, and it does not look gawdy - PC cases are generally ugly and I hate the fact that even this has a clear plastic window on its side.

This case is listed at $110 msrp, but I see it all over the place for around $90.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.