Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

So dell customer service is.... actually pretty awesome.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Edited By insanejedi

Dell was usually on the butt end of customer service jokes for a long time, but I got one tech support heaven story to share.

A shift key on my M11x R3 that I posted a review on several months ago broke. The fittings that held it in place completely gave way and I was left with one of the most used key on a keyboard half-functioning. I called up dell to see if they could just ship me a new key, and they couldn't; So they just decided to send me a whole new keyboard for the m11x for free. After a 30 minute tech support conversation which is actually typical (actually I had to hang up and they contacted me again to continue the conversation) they said they would send a technician + Keyboard within 3 days. I said to myself "okay, it makes sense, a day to get the part and 2 days to send someone over. that's actually pretty fast."

One hour later

I get a call from Dell asking if I would be available tomorrow. YES. In the same day just one hour later and the they promised to have someone over to fix my laptop with the desired part tomorrow morning. That is insanely fast.

The next day they called me up at 9:00 AM and said that he would be there in one hour. Came by my door, was very nice, replaced the keyboard and hinge in less than half an hour. I found out the panel gap between my hinge and the laptop. Before he left, he was able to fix it for me right outside my house.

I didn't even have the extra warranty care plan or anything, all I had was just the basic 1 year warranty and they treated me better than almost any product service I know of even outside laptops.

What company can send you same day support and drive a person all the way to your house to fix a single key on a god damn keyboard and do all the fitting for you for free? Even Apple loses because you have to go to an Apple store your self, they don't send a guy to your house.

So Dell I salute you for excellent (even best-ever) customer support and hope that the new direction of customer care nets you many profits in the future.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By insanejedi

Dell was usually on the butt end of customer service jokes for a long time, but I got one tech support heaven story to share.

A shift key on my M11x R3 that I posted a review on several months ago broke. The fittings that held it in place completely gave way and I was left with one of the most used key on a keyboard half-functioning. I called up dell to see if they could just ship me a new key, and they couldn't; So they just decided to send me a whole new keyboard for the m11x for free. After a 30 minute tech support conversation which is actually typical (actually I had to hang up and they contacted me again to continue the conversation) they said they would send a technician + Keyboard within 3 days. I said to myself "okay, it makes sense, a day to get the part and 2 days to send someone over. that's actually pretty fast."

One hour later

I get a call from Dell asking if I would be available tomorrow. YES. In the same day just one hour later and the they promised to have someone over to fix my laptop with the desired part tomorrow morning. That is insanely fast.

The next day they called me up at 9:00 AM and said that he would be there in one hour. Came by my door, was very nice, replaced the keyboard and hinge in less than half an hour. I found out the panel gap between my hinge and the laptop. Before he left, he was able to fix it for me right outside my house.

I didn't even have the extra warranty care plan or anything, all I had was just the basic 1 year warranty and they treated me better than almost any product service I know of even outside laptops.

What company can send you same day support and drive a person all the way to your house to fix a single key on a god damn keyboard and do all the fitting for you for free? Even Apple loses because you have to go to an Apple store your self, they don't send a guy to your house.

So Dell I salute you for excellent (even best-ever) customer support and hope that the new direction of customer care nets you many profits in the future.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

Dude, you got a Dell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Dude, people still buy Dell?

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MethodMan008

Dude, you... damn. too late.

HPs customer service has always been very pleasant to me, as well.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeanFoster

I bought a 27 inch Dell monitor directly from Dell around the holidays and had a fairly nice experience.

Sgykah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sgykah

I always thought that Dell was terrible. Then my fiancee had a problem with her laptop, they sent someone over to replace the motherboard of the laptop at no charge. Pretty solid stuff when it comes to customer service. That company really did a 180 with customer service (terrible in the late 90s).

Edit: Also, their laptops have always been very decent. And then they got a hold of Alienware. Seriously, don't think of Dell the way you thought of them in the 90s. Their high end laptops are really above and beyond a lot of competition at this point.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

It's been a looong while since we had a Dell in the house. I don't like what they sell, but I'm sure they could have good customer support... Don't intend to find out though.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bybeach

Dell as I understand it is decent. Used to have lousy costomer support, but maybe that changed, should look it up.(ALWAYS). The only thing is, if it still holds, you are locked in w/Dell in some ways. I bet they build way cleaner machines, and I did not know much at the time(a 500 Mhz I seem to remember) but it was a jumble of wires. But I would buy a Dell for a working computer except I can build my own now. I still dream of buying their Ultra sharp(?) 27" monitor, I hear it is quite good. But I am probably going to invest in a nice tv instead well in the future.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By insanejedi

@bybeach said:

Dell as I understand it is decent. Used to have lousy costomer support, but maybe that changed, should look it up.(ALWAYS). The only thing is, if it still holds, you are locked in w/Dell in some ways. I bet they build way cleaner machines, and I did not know much at the time(a 500 Mhz I seem to remember) but it was a jumble of wires. But I would buy a Dell for a working computer except I can build my own now. I still dream of buying their Ultra sharp(?) 27" monitor, I hear it is quite good. But I am probably going to invest in a nice tv instead well in the future.

You should get the 24 inch U2412m from them if you are considering an alternative. It's an entry level IPS monitor with 1900*1200 16:10 ratio monitor, and I got it on sale for $280 including shipping. Unfortunately the default price is $370 but in this realm where TN monitors are usually the only option, having an IPS photoshop quality monitor blows away absolutely everything in that category for the price. Actually I think the 2412m is what the Giant Bomb offices uses when the moved in to CBS.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mosdl

@insanejedi said:

@bybeach said:

You should get the 24 inch U2412m from them if you are considering an alternative. It's an entry level IPS monitor with 1900*1200 16:10 ratio monitor, and I got it on sale for $280 including shipping. Unfortunately the default price is $370 but in this realm where TN monitors are usually the only option, having an IPS photoshop quality monitor blows away absolutely everything in that category for the price. Actually I think the 2412m is what the Giant Bomb offices uses when the moved in to CBS.

I am running two U2412M and loving them. Note that the resolution is 1920x1200 actually. Works great for design work and gaming (no ghosting) and they come with the rare height adjustable stands included.

Dell used to be a consumer focused company and their support wasn't good. Then they started focusing on enterprises and business customers, where support is king.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By scarace360

People buy Dells really?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By insanejedi

@scarace360 said:

People buy Dells really?

What other laptop is better than the m11x that costs $1000?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kidavenger
    insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By insanejedi

@Kidavenger said:

@insanejedi said:

@scarace360 said:

People buy Dells really?

What other laptop is better than the m11x that costs $1000?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246324

That laptop is 60% bigger than the M11X. Weighs 45% more, and has 1/3-1/2 of the battery life. There is more to buying a laptop than just the GPU and the CPU.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kidavenger
    insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By insanejedi

@Kidavenger said:

@insanejedi: Sorry didn't know you were a little girl.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

Yeah cus only real men buy laptops that weigh 6 pounds and require 1 pound powerbrick + a wall socket wherever you walk around makes you real cool brah. Having your gaming laptop not fit on your university desk or airline tray is the only real test of your manliness.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ben_H

I haven't had any warranty work done but Dell did ship me a monitor in 2 days when it was supposed to be 7-10 during the busiest shipping time of the year. They make great monitors. Both of mine are Dells and one is 6 years old and is still going strong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.