Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

So I am looking for a new computer...

wafflesrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wafflesrok

And I figured some giantbomb peeps would be able to help me out. I'm off to college and have a little(not alot) of money to burn on a decent rig. While I would like to build one I am clueless as to how to do such a thing thus I have been looking at other options. 

My plan is to buy a decent desktop for my dorm then a netbook for class and what not. The desktop is the fun part so heres where I need help

1.  Theres this gateway  and it has gotten decent reviews and its a lotta bang for the buck
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5625772&pagenumber=2&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#ReviewStart

2. There is an AMD rig off of iBUYPOWER that I can build for around the same price, not as beefy as the gateway but I can purchase a netbook for cheap through the site and get free games with the computer, the draw backs are smaller hard drive and so other minutia. 

3. Whatever you think would be best as you guys would know much much much better than me. I'd like the thing to be useful for the next couple years and I'd like it to run most things at high settings at a decent resolution. So games like DOW 2, Alpha Protocal, DA: O, and Age of Conan are games I'd like to run.    
    Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Msi 890GX motherboard,

AMD Phenom II 965 rev C3

get the 8 gb (4x2gb) DDR3 corsair dominator set with 7-7-7-20 timings (or get  a slower 2x2gb set) 
    corsair 750HX psu 
    cooler master HAF 932 case 
    msi frozr II 5850/5870 (either one) 
    seagate 7200.12 1tb HDD 

That should come very close, and with that mobo, when you get out of college or something you can upgrade to a faster x6 Phenom II cpu. 

If you want pre-built, go to cyberpowerpc, they aren't as intel-sided and pricing the same exact hardware on both sites, there is a 50 or so dollar difference before shipping and tax.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.