Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

So I finally bought a gamepad for my PC

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NobodyHIFI

So, after months of hesistation, my bout with Bastion made me feel like my Xbox 360 controller (OEM) felt kind of out of place with all my Razer brand PC inputs. 
    so, I bought this 

No Caption Provided
    Razer Onza Tournament Edition, 

and .. wow, what a gamepad, the cable is like 30ft long, and could be used to moor a small sailboat. the buttons also light up and it has an extra set of customizable sholder buttons, 
    oh, and the buttons light up, the analogs can be adjusted for tightness, and the d-pad is the best dpad i have ever seen 

compared to OEM wired 360 gamepads, it is also the same price or in some cases cheaper, I really can't say too many good things about this gamepad.  
    I'm usually the first person to shit on people using gamepads for games that are obviously better with M&K,  but I do agree that some games are much better with a gamepad, and this little bugger is the perfect! 

The only thing that takes some getting used to is the way alll the buttons click , which feels a little odd at first, but I understand why they chose to do so, whether the button is pressed or not is very obvious, and it is much easiler to 'rapid fire' the button. 

If any of you have considered this but have been hesistant like I was for so long, just take the plunge, it is an awesome piece of hardware  (I do not own a 360 either) 

Batman will be pleased.
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By JCTango

Hey man!  I actually have a similar version... it's the one without adjustable analogue sticks.  Other than that it's the same - I agree it's a good controller =).

I don't use it for all my games though - I still use keyboard or keyboard+mouse for some games (even nba2k11 and mlb2k10)!  Sometimes I just get better control on those than on the controller.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NobodyHIFI
    @JCTango said:

Hey man!  I actually have a similar version... it's the one without adjustable analogue sticks.  Other than that it's the same - I agree it's a good controller =).  I don't use it for all my games though - I still use keyboard or keyboard+mouse for some games (even nba2k11 and mlb2k10)!  Sometimes I just get better control on those than on the controller.

me niether, I would slap myself if I even considered using it for a shooter /RTS 
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jetsetwillie

i have no problem with playing games on my PC with my 360 controller. works just great. currently playing The Witcher 2 and i think its better with a controller than M/KB. 

its great having the choice though.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JCTango
    @NobodyHIFI: How are you finding the ergonomics of the controller?  So far, I haven't had much discomfort using it, but after say... an hour or so of playing with it, my hands get tired xD.
    NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NobodyHIFI
    @JCTango said:

@NobodyHIFI: How are you finding the ergonomics of the controller?  So far, I haven't had much discomfort using it, but after say... an hour or so of playing with it, my hands get tired xD.

hmm, you know i couldnt connect on that, I do find that the sholder buttons can feel a little high up after some use, thou..   

@CaLe said:

30ft. cable? That seems a bit excessive. Looks nice but I don't think it offers anything worth buying when I've got a perfectly good 360 pad.

it is over the top, i couldnt imagine using all this cable, but hey, better too much then too little. 
    and yes I agree, if you are happy with your OEM gamepad go for it, like anything Razer, its not really NEEDED, but is still a nice addition to the collection. 
    KosmoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By KosmoK
    @CaLe said:

30ft. cable? That seems a bit excessive.

But do keep in mind that the gamepad was mainly designed to be used with an XBox360 and sitting on your sofa or whatever. Plus it's "only" 15 feet, says so right on the box.

And the controller is great, especially the Tournament Edition. Love it on the XBox, love it on the PC. Now if there only were a PS3 version...
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By warxsnake

Still waiting for a left-hand-only true analog controller with dozens of keys or buttons, like the G13 but also not like the G13, so that I can still use my mouse in third person games designed around the controller and analog movement.

Jakobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Jakobi

I like having my controller, but I just bought a used 360 wired controller for like $10. The only game I use it for is Arkham Asylum. I tried using it for Deus Ex recently, but the mouse and keyboard is still superior. 

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@NobodyHIFI said:

the cable is like 30ft long, and could be used to moor a small sailboat.

Do it.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By matthias2437

I bought one of those a while ago, I am M&K all day but some games undeniably control better with a gamepad. That one delivers, works so well.

planeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By planeta

I have a saitek P2600 gamepad, and i've yet to encounter a game that is better with a gamepad than M&K.  Call of duty, Gothic, Mass Effect, not to mention all the RTS games just don't cope well with my saitek. I can only imagine its superiority in NFS-like games, but i play those rarely so my 80$ gamepad is just laying and dusting somewhere

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roughneck117

Hey man, bro, dude, homie...I dunno if youve heard, but using a controller with your PC is like taking your supermodel girlfriend out for dinner to McDonalds. Just letting you know dude, bro, man, homie...

Also, how much did it cost? Ive seen one at the local BB for about 50 bucks.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArcLyte

@roughneck117 said:

Hey man, bro, dude, homie...I dunno if youve heard, but using a controller with your PC is like taking your supermodel girlfriend out for dinner to McDonalds. Just letting you know dude, bro, man, homie...

Also, how much did it cost? Ive seen one at the local BB for about 50 bucks.

dude, bro, man, homie, bro, bro, bro, dude, homie, man, dude, bro, homie, homie, bro, dude, bro

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By gamb1t

well this controller definitely is on my to buy list cause micosoft cant get shit right!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel

I ordered that control with a SSD HD should be here by the end of the week, I have only heard positive stuff about the Onza..

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sjosz

The actual controller grip and overal use is actually better than the regular 360 gamepad, though within 3 months of getting mine the right analog stick started showing signs of degradation (could not center properly anymore). Luckily Razer made no problem of replacing it with a new one, which should be coming in this week.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SSully

I think every PC gamer should have one for certain games. Whenever I play games like Super Meat Boy, Bastion, or any decent third person shooter I think a gamepad is better then mouse and keyboard.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Starfishhunter9

@SSully said:

I think every PC gamer should have one for certain games. Whenever I play games like Super Meat Boy, Bastion, or any decent third person shooter I think a gamepad is better then mouse and keyboard.

Yeap consoles ain't all bad

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SSully said:

I disagree.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Sooty

I don't mind M+KB for some third person games, for stuff like Just Cause 2 where you switch between driving and on foot a lot I definitely preferred the pad.

I've been using a 360 pad on my PC for a long time now. Definitely worth having around, even if I don't use it that much.

I'm thinking of buying Skyrim on PC and sending the window for that game over to my TV, then I get the increased eye candy, better loading times and modability, plus Bethesda games always seem to be more PC focused. Since I'd be using my TV I might use my 360 pad for the game but it's gonna depend on how annoying I find the 360 designed interface, it looks like a lot of menu hopping to switch between powers where as I'm sure M+KB will provide a much more fluid hotkey system.

I'll probably end up playing on my monitor like normal with M+KB.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PatchRowcester

That looks like an amazing gamepad. I am using my Saitek Rumble Pad, been using it for over 5 years now. Once it breaks, I will get this gamepad. Thanks for sharing the information.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Jams

I just bought it myself a couple days ago. The tension controls for the analog are a joke. It's pretty comfortable, but I don't think it really surpasses the official Microsoft one...

jt1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jt1080

Whenever my wired 360 pad dies I'll probably pick up the Razer gamepad...probably soonish since my sticks are feeling really loose lately.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By david3cm

I wanted to try my xbox controller for super meat boy because i find the keyboard controls somewhat awkward. I have a wireless controller so i bought a play and charge kit and plugged that in, and havent been able to get my controller to sync with my computer, have you ever run in to this issue, any help would be appreciated!

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By byrjun
    @david3cm
    It's a burn of Microsoft design stupidity/proprietary genius? You see, you can't. I'm in the exact same situation.
    We either have to get a Wireless Reciever (fuck that) or use a wired controller. Currently, I'm looking for used ones, since I don't want to support getting a new controller when I have a thousand already.
    david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By david3cm

@byrjun: wow, i bought that piece of hardware for that purpose, that is extremely stupid. Oh well i guess I will find a wireless receiver.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

been meaning to get a gamepad for my PC so i could play SF 4 and other more gamepad centric games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.