Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

So I just got off playing Halo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I'm about halfway through which is where I got to when the game first launched and I can see why I quit the game back then because I just don't find it interesting. The story is pretty generic sci-fi and you even have the 3 races like Protoss, zerg and marine and this trend always seems to happen in sci-fi. I find the characters to be weak too like Masterchief just looks like some Fisherprice toy I would have had as a kid like Action Man or GI Joe is the American version? He just looks like a toy and he animates like one in cut scenes too and I don't get why jumping is so floaty with him. I also don't get why he is so elite...... cause the friendly AI is just dumb.

It became tiresome for me though around this half-way point when the levels started to pattern out like it was all pre generated and they copied and pasted it over and over again and really I've had enough of it. Just the same esact room layouts over and over but the enemies are in a different spot each time.

There are some good points though like the Graphics are great for their time, sepite the generic and child like art style. The enemy AI is fantastic even now and would have been even greater for it's time and really that has been the highlight because they arn't giving me an easy time. The only problem is however they never seem to chase you so you can exploit that like they seem to have a hard time working out that you just ran behind the pillar. My only dislike towards the enemies though is they all feel like they were made for kids like Ewoks in Star Wars or something.

The game also reminds me of Crysis with the optional paths and linear but rather open ended gameplay. Just makes me wonder if Crytek were inspired by Halo when creating Crysis and well obviously alot of FPS these days were aswel as Half-Life so probably a stupid question to ask.

I'm finding Halo pretty boring from a level design and story standpoint but I do respect that for it's day it ws very ground breaking for the Consoles and open ended FPS gameplay with vehicles.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

you're still playing Halo???

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I'm sorry.
    I read the thread title entirely wrong.
    I'm so, so sorry.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I really like the style of Halo most of the time.  I don't find it horribly generic, but it is derivative, but so are most games for that matter.  Covenant and Flood are nothing like Protoss and Zerg though.  Big jumps used to be big in action games, now all games have releasing jumping heights.

I do agree about Crysis, I'm sure they were thinking about Halo in most of the design.  Even the original Crysis box art is an exact copy of posing from the Halo 2 box art.

The points of Halo were really good AI overall (don't tell me you're playing on Legendary), vehicles in gameplay, offhand grenades (a big deal at that time), the only-2-weapon carrying system (most games used to let you hold thousands of pounds of weaponry at all times).

Personally I think Halo is one of the best FPS of all time, not just for consoles but all platforms.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By prinny_god

towel off

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK
    PapaLazarou said:

You're 7 years too late
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

Damn, I could never get my self off playing Halo! I mean, Master Chief is great, but he's certainly not that sexy. But hey, whatever gets ya off!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Karmum
    crunchUK said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

You're 7 years too late"
    There are still people playing the original Halo online. Maybe not in single player, but definitely somewhat of a group of PC players still online.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
    Karmum said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

You're 7 years too late"
    There are still people playing the original Halo online. Maybe not in single player, but definitely somewhat of a group of PC players still online."
    It is a PC game, after all.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karmum
    Jayge said:
    "Karmum said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

You're 7 years too late"
    There are still people playing the original Halo online. Maybe not in single player, but definitely somewhat of a group of PC players still online."
    "
    I kind of thought that is what I just said.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Milkman
    I just got off playing Halo

I know it's a great game but you need to calm down

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Jayge said:
    "Karmum said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

You're 7 years too late"
    "

Yeah, and Starcraft is a console game.

My ass.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    Bellum said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Karmum said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

You're 7 years too late"
    "
    Yeah, and Starcraft is a console game.My ass."
    There's a PC version of Halo, and this, too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I know. :P

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I still really enjoy the original Halo's split screen with my friends. I've never like playing it online with people I don't know though, can't stand the annoying twelve years old racists. :p
    I remember when I first played Halo on my friends Xbox, I thought that the story and setting were really interesting, and the level design was great as well. Unfortunately, my fascination with the story subsided once Halo 2 rolled around. I really did not like the direction they took with the story and level design. With Halo 3, the story continued to take it's lame direction, but the gameplay improved over Halo 2, and the addition of the Forge and Theater was the big redeeming quality of the even worse level design.

xploded1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xploded1

yeah.. rewind 7 years and play it.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By atejas
    PapaLazarou said:
    obviously alot of FPS these days were aswel as Half-Life so probably a stupid question to ask.
    I hope I'm misunderstanding this.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK
    atejas said:
    "PapaLazarou said:
    obviously alot of FPS these days were aswel as Half-Life so probably a stupid question to ask.
    I hope I'm misunderstanding this."
    I'm not understanding it at all

Karmum said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

You're 7 years too late"
    Yeah but if you just crawled out from under your rock and played it in 2009 OF COURSE THE AI AND GRAPHICS ARE GOING TO SUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, the game was pretty meh back when it was first released.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AnimZero said:
    "I'm sorry.I read the thread title entirely wrong.I'm so, so sorry."
    LMAO
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Pie

The first halo was awesomenes to the max.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By RichardLOlson
    The first Halo game was really good, but I don't see how you or anyone could ever get off on a game like that....I myself would like to get off on a game like "Goldeneye" for the 64.  Now thats a FPS to get off to.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK
    RichardLOlson said:
    "The first Halo game was really good, but I don't see how you or anyone could ever get off on a game like that....I myself would like to get off on a game like "Goldeneye" for the 64.  Now thats a FPS to get off to.
    "
    natalya amirite?!?"!
    Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Computerplayer1
    crunchUK said:
    "RichardLOlson said:
    "The first Halo game was really good, but I don't see how you or anyone could ever get off on a game like that....I myself would like to get off on a game like "Goldeneye" for the 64.  Now thats a FPS to get off to.
    "
    natalya amirite?!?"!"
    Oddjob?
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You're playing the crappier pc version 8 years after.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    RichardLOlson said:
    "
    What's with the heavy use of italics? 
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#27  Edited By strangeling

I'd be surprised if the TC returns to comment in this thread.

And if he's playing it on pc, he probably hasn't paid for it (especially if he doesn't like it).
    Remember: he pirates games, so what.
    He makes it sound like he tried it before and didn't make it through.  Does this mean he keeps games he's downloaded, or did he redownload it?
    It's not like you can't pick this game up for cheap now.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Sorry I was really drunk when I made this thread and can't be bothered to edit it.

I'm going to finish Halo but the levels are so poorly designed that they're like a Pattern and you see the same thing over and over again and end up getting lost.

+ I bought this game in 2003, I just don't see the big deal in pirating games when they cost alot and you want to see if it is worth your purchase. I only buy games now that I enjoyed playing.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crunchUK
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Sorry I was really drunk when I made this thread and can't be bothered to edit it.I'm going to finish Halo but the levels are so poorly designed that they're like a Pattern and you see the same thing over and over again and end up getting lost.+ I bought this game in 2003, I just don't see the big deal in pirating games when they cost alot and you want to see if it is worth your purchase. I only buy games now that I enjoyed playing."
    i thought you were a 1337 hardcore PC guy and you get LOST IN HALO 1. LOL go back to call of duty 4 noob
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#30  Edited By strangeling
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Sorry I was really drunk when I made this thread and can't be bothered to edit it.I'm going to finish Halo but the levels are so poorly designed that they're like a Pattern and you see the same thing over and over again and end up getting lost.+ I bought this game in 2003, I just don't see the big deal in pirating games when they cost alot and you want to see if it is worth your purchase. I only buy games now that I enjoyed playing."
    Cool, you actually came back.
    Glad to hear you didn't just download this one.  Unfortunate that you don't like it much though.
    Are you just playing it now, because you feel you have to get your money's worth?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.