Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

so i need a new pc, but i dont have alot of cash...

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By NickL

so i figure i have about 500 bucks to spend to get a new pc, is it even possible to get an adequate gaming pc for this price?
    i have researched alot and come across alot of "800 dollar gaming pc builds" but rarely see anything lower, so is 800 bucks the barrier of entry to pc gaming? 
    maybe some suggestions would help also, i can get my brother to help me put it together since he has built a few of his own computers, so im looking at a DIY setup

follow up question, is there any downside to using an old 22 inch lcd tv as my monitor as long as i get the right cables? 

i tried to include all the necessary info, but if you need something else to answer my questions, just let me know

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#2  Edited By Valkyr

The problem when building a pc  is that there is a barrier that maybe 100 bucks could differenciate between a crappy and a good pc, for example  if you are already spending let's say 800 and you the performance leap is at 900, you have to go with it. That leap is usually given by the money you spend in the VGA, most pc games are more gpu bound thant cpu bound, but a cpu is something that you rarely upgrade on a pc while a VGA is constantly being changed so buying a good cpu is also important if you want to forget for at least 2 years about recommended pc requeriments on your games.
    The problem of using that lcd tv is that the resolution is low for pc gaming and a pc in general (assuming your lcd tv is only hd-ready), you are going to have a lot of trouble reading text, it won't be crisp and will make your eyes hurt, a lot, so if you are planning to write code or any kind of time consuming work on it, forget it.  I recently got a Full HD samsung that has a lot of inputs and it even comes with a remote control, it's the p2370ms (I think NA has the improved version, the p2370HD, for the same price), it's really good if you want to hook up all your gaming devices, it should be around 250 in your country.

PD: The monitor I recommended to you is 23'', it will be crisper than a 22'' with 1650x1080 and it will suit your gaming needs better because of the aspect ratio.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Coombs

Get more money or wait until you can get more.
    If your getting it for gaming, Just pick up a console,
    Or wait until you get a little more money for a decent gaming rig

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By McPaper

It depends on what you want from your PC. I believe you can play most if not all the games on the present market now with a pc of around £400. This is if you build yourself. When you buy a prebuilt machine its usually a £100 at the minimum addition to the cost of the parts.  On the subject matter of playing games, I would assume that most people are content with good performance and a medium level of graphic ability on most games.

If you want high performance and high end graphic fidelity the cost usually goes up about £200. I recently purchased a high end computer for £620 and its able to play all the games I have thrown at it with good peformance and good visuals.  The other pro to a high end purchase is its longevity. Of course, the concept of longevity is relative to what you think is suitable for a gaming PC. I believe the current price of £620 on high end spec will last you a year or two before you have to start tweaking down graphic sliders to save some performance. But even then, I am sure you will be still content with the games you are playing. Definately more so when compared to a console.

My personal reccomendation is to get a high end machine. It saves you money in the long run, as you dont have to keep repurchasing a graphic card. 

Reccomendations regarding actual specifications would be 4gb memory is the minimum now and dont cut savings on a good power supply. Your LCD tv's resolution leads me to reccomend a beefy graphic card. At the moment ATI is leading the market as they have the only DX11 cards out, this is their HD5800 series. You probably will be saving your money so you can wait for Nvidia's new launch of cards which will also be DX11 compatible. Not saying they will be better but will give you more choice and will drive down prices in the ATI HD5800 line perhaps. You can always look at performance benchmarks.

I've given you my price in pound sterlin, I would imagine the currency conversion would provide a more or less accurate scope.

Regarding the monitor question. No there isnt really a downside to using that that I know of. Be sure to research the right ports. A lot of modern graphic cards come with adapters.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Th3_James

Prostitution is always an option 

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jmrwacko
    @NickL said:

" so is 800 bucks the barrier of entry to pc gaming?  "

$800 is typically the magic number for best price performance as far as gaming goes. That's because you'll want to pick up a Radeon 5770 or GeForce 260 so you don't get bottlenecked on the GPU end, and those go for $170 to $200, and the case/heatsink/mobo add up to $200 or so, as well. CPUs actually come really cheap if you go the AMD route - you can get an AMD Phenom II x2 black edition for $90, and pray to God/Darwin/Spaghetti Monster that you're one of the 30% with a working Core 2 and 3, else get the x4 equivalent for $70 more.

If you're only willing to spend $500, you can build a really nice media rig that will let you play high definition movies/blu-ray, that sort of thing. But you'll only be playing older or more optimized games, like WoW and Call of Duty. More recently, many games are released on PC as console ports, and are optimized quite poorly, so you'll need a monster rig to play games like Bad Company 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla on high settings.

Oh and that $800 pricetag doesn't include the monitor or any peripherals. Monitors can cost quite a lot - I'd suggest buying one in January or at a blowout sale.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jmrwacko
    @McPaper said:
    "
    Reccomendations regarding actual specifications would be 4gb memory is the minimum now and dont cut savings on a good power supply. Your LCD tv's resolution leads me to reccomend a beefy graphic card. At the moment ATI is leading the market as they have the only DX11 cards out, this is their HD5800 series. You probably will be saving your money so you can wait for Nvidia's new launch of cards which will also be DX11 compatible. Not saying they will be better but will give you more choice and will drive down prices in the ATI HD5800 line perhaps. You can always look at performance benchmarks.
     "
    5700 series is also directx11 compatible.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

General rule of thumb is if you have less than $1k to spend on a gaming PC you should just buy a console instead. The differences will be marginal but you will be spending a lot more. 

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NickL

thanks for the input everyone, im just gonna keep saving until 800 dollars i think

@Geno i already have a console tho i want a pc that can play games that are obviously designed for a pc (dragon age is the first example i can think of)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If your using an old 22" lcd, your videocard must have hdmi out, or else you need to buy a dvi to hdmi cable. The reponse time of hdtv's are sort of slow, you might notice a bit of ghosting. Look pc gaming is sort of expensive and a luxury, maybe it's not for you, or save up a bit more.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If you already have a desktop, you can modify the one you have and save some money.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoeyIA
    @Bellum said:
    "If you already have a desktop, you can modify the one you have and save some money. "

This. 

If you already have a PC and can re-use the tower, power supply, optical drive, keyboard, mouse, and hdd (and you sound like you're going to use a tv as a monitor) then you'll save a ton of cash.  You'll only have to replace the mobo, grafix card, cpu, and maybe the ram (depends on how much you have vs. want and if it'll work in your new mobo).
    McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McPaper

" @Bellum said:
    "If you already have a desktop, you can modify the one you have and save some money. "
    This.  If you already have a PC and can re-use the tower, power supply, optical drive, keyboard, mouse, and hdd (and you sound like you're going to use a tv as a monitor) then you'll save a ton of cash.  You'll only have to replace the mobo, grafix card, cpu, and maybe the ram (depends on how much you have vs. want and if it'll work in your new mobo). "
    Re using the hard drive, optical drive, keyboard an mouse is a fine idea.

Unless his power supply and case are good at heat and power management I would reccomend getting them new however.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I always re-use my old PCs when I upgrade the mobo, cpu, & memory.  Everything else will tend to remain the same, or I'll upgrade the sound, video, or hard drives at a later time...Space out the upgrades a little.

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By wosifat
    @jmrwacko said:  
    " @NickL said:

" so is 800 bucks the barrier of entry to pc gaming?  "

$800 is typically the magic number for best price performance as far as gaming goes.  
     Oh, well.  I was hoping to get away with a configuration costing under $500, but I wasn't gonna use it for heavy duty PC gaming, anyway.
    My current PC is an old Compaq.  The motherboard only had PCI slots and maxes out at 1GB RAM, and I'm pretty sure the power supply won't take much more, either, so it probably makes more sense to buy new than upgrade, and I figure I can make a computer with more upgradability than I can buy with my budget.  I plan on getting a new motherboard, CPU, case, RAM, and hard drive and seeing what I can do with that.  I may get a cheap graphics card, but now I figure I'll deal with the onboard graphics and put that money into a beefier card. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:
    " General rule of thumb is if you have less than $1k to spend on a gaming PC you should just buy a console instead. The differences will be marginal but you will be spending a lot more.  "
    That's a pretty silly rule then because if you plug said PC into a TV it'll look a whole hell of a lot better due to proper 1080P, the differences are far from marginal.  I'm not sure why people think that a PC needs to uber expensive to play the latest games at 1920x1080 because it just isn't true. My Core i5 750/4GB RAM/P55-UD4P was cheaper than 500 and that's because I reused my case, drives and my 9600GT.  If I'd opted for a case, 1TB drive, DVD burner and 5770 it would've ended up a smidge over 650.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wosifat
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Geno said:

" General rule of thumb is if you have less than $1k to spend on a gaming PC you should just buy a console instead. The differences will be marginal but you will be spending a lot more.  "
    That's a pretty silly rule then because if you plug said PC into a TV it'll look a whole hell of a lot better due to proper 1080P, the differences are far from marginal.  I'm not sure why people think that a PC needs to uber expensive to play the latest games at 1920x1080 because it just isn't true. My Core i5 750/4GB RAM/P55-UD4P was cheaper than 500 and that's because I reused my case, drives and my 9600GT.  If I'd opted for a case, 1TB drive, DVD burner and 5770 it would've ended up a smidge over 650. "
    THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME HOPE!  I LOVE YOU!!!!!!
    So, what would you say would be a reasonable point of entry?  How much RAM?  What GPU?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @wosifat said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Geno said:
    That's a pretty silly rule then because if you plug said PC into a TV it'll look a whole hell of a lot better due to proper 1080P, the differences are far from marginal.  I'm not sure why people think that a PC needs to uber expensive to play the latest games at 1920x1080 because it just isn't true. My Core i5 750/4GB RAM/P55-UD4P was cheaper than 500 and that's because I reused my case, drives and my 9600GT.  If I'd opted for a case, 1TB drive, DVD burner and 5770 it would've ended up a smidge over 650. "
    THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME HOPE!  I LOVE YOU!!!!!! So, what would you say would be a reasonable point of entry? "
    Are you able to build it yourself?  Where are you located?  I'm happy to put together a parts list for you or even recommend a reseller who can build you a pretty decent system for the dollars you want to spend.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wosifat

Central Virginia.
    I got a couple wishlists on Newegg, but I'm wondering what are some other good sources for parts.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Geno
    @SeriouslyNow:  Very few people plug their computers into their TVs. It costs over $500 for a barebones PC. $100 power supply, $100-150 mobo, $50-100 for a case, $50 for memory, $100 for hard drive, and $100 for OS and that's for a mid-end PC (LGA 1366 mobo and DDR3 mem will cost extra, so will a larger case or power supply). Decent mid-end processors and graphics cards start at $200, increasing your total cost to about $1,000. A mid-end gaming PC will not run games like Crysis at appreciably high settings, and will have trouble with antialiasing at 1080p with most games, but will run at 720p just fine (like consoles). You'll indeed be getting only marginally better performance, at triple the price of a console if you're getting a new PC from scratch at that price. That's why for PC gaming the general philosophy should be to go big or not to go at all, since you're only adding value after going past the barebones price, if you're only spending a little over the barebones price you're just wasting your money. 
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By roofy
    @wosifat said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Geno said:

THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME HOPE!  I LOVE YOU!!!!!! So, what would you say would be a reasonable point of entry?  How much RAM?  What GPU? "
    i really hate to be that guy but...

thought of an afterlife brings hope too, doesnt make it any more valid

i would buy the rig this minute if you can piece together one with a 1TB drive, 5770, Core i5 750, 4GB of Gaming RAM, DVD Burner and Case for 650
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:

" @SeriouslyNow:  Very few people plug their computers into their TVs. It costs over $500 for a barebones PC. $100 power supply, $100-150 mobo, $50-100 for a case, $50 for memory, $100 for hard drive, and $100 for OS and that's for a mid-end PC (LGA 1366 mobo and DDR3 mem will cost extra, so will a larger case or power supply). Decent mid-end processors and graphics cards start at $200, increasing your total cost to about $1,000. A mid-end gaming PC will not run Crysis at appreciably high settings, and will have trouble with antialiasing at 1080p with most games, but will run at 720p just fine (like consoles). You'll indeed be getting only marginally better performance, at triple the price of a console if you're getting a new PC from scratch at that price. That's why for PC gaming the general philosophy should be to go big or not to go at all, since you're only adding value after going past the barebones price, if you're only spending a little over the barebones price you're just wasting your money.  "

I disagree.  Firstly, if you're going to compare a console to a PC on equal footing then we have to have an equal display output and a 1080p capable TV is a good common denominator as they are easily available and many people have them these days, for those who game on LCD monitors, the PC too could be just as easily connected to one as well, so apples with apples ok?

Factoring in games like Crysis and features like AA @ 1080p makes for a different argument as the majority of console games do not reach the fidelity of Crysis at max levels and there are very few PCs which can even run the game maxed @ 1080p @ 60fps, nor do the majority of console games have true AA (XBOX 360's 10MB eDRAM AA is not via a rotated grid for example) or any form of AA at all as is the case with almost every PS3 title so I see both of those as a kind of red herring which console purists tend to bandy about as some measure of PCs not offering value for money gaming experiences, which isn't true at all.  Recent games like Dragon Age : Origins, Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 all look and play best on PC and none of them require a really beefy machine to achieve best performance @ 1080p with the exclusion of AA of course, but at 1080p you barely need it and the fidelity of those games on PC far oustrips what the console versions provide in terms of textures, effects and LoD.

@wosifat

said:

" Central Virginia. I got a couple wishlists on Newegg, but I'm wondering what are some other good sources for parts. "

Well sure, Newegg seems to be the most competitive online in the US.  Post the wish lists and I'll see what I can do to make em fit your budget.  In the meantime, have you looked at Cyberpower for a prebuilt machine?  They have one based on the Core i5 going for 579 which includes ASETEK LCLC Watercooling:-

• Intel Core i5-750 CPU 
    • EVGA P55 TR 
    • Intel P55V MB
    • 2GBDDR3/1600MHz RAM
    • 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM HDD
    • ATI HD 5450 1GB Video
    • LG 22X DVD±/±RW Drive
    • High Definition 7.1 Sound

If you change the graphics card to an EVGA 9800GT 1GB, up the RAM to 4GB and the PSU to 600W SLI capable then it comes in at $701, which is a pretty good deal if you don't want to build it. 

Personally I would recommen building the PC because you can find better prices on parts and so get better parts for the same money.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Geno
    @SeriouslyNow: My point with games like Crysis and 1080p AA is that they offer appreciable difference over what is available on consoles. A ~$1,000 mid end PC will not be able to attain that level of performance, and thus the difference over console is minimal. Obviously there is some difference, 1080p and a better framerate, but I think that money would be better spent on games. Most games nowadays are cross platform anyway meaning they will look somewhat similar on consoles and PC unless you push max settings, but a PC that can do so is beyond the mid-end budget (Batman Arkham Asylum with 16xQ AA and high Physx is an entirely different experience from the console version, but it also takes a hefty PC to deliver that at 60fps). I think the money would be better spent on games, or even just a better TV, because I don't think the gains that he will be getting from a PC on that budget will be worth it. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: My point with games like Crysis and 1080p AA is that they offer appreciable difference over what is available on consoles. A ~$1,000 mid end PC will not be able to attain that level of performance, and thus the difference over console is minimal. Obviously there is some difference, 1080p and a better framerate, but I think that money would be better spent on games. Most games nowadays are cross platform anyway meaning they will look somewhat similar on consoles and PC unless you push max settings, but a PC that can do so is beyond the mid-end budget (Batman Arkham Asylum with 16xQ AA and high Physx is an entirely different experience from the console version, but it also takes a hefty PC to deliver that at 60fps). I think the money would be better spent on games, or even just a better TV, because I don't think the gains that he will be getting from a PC on that budget will be worth it.  "
    Nah.  It's more than just just res and framerate.  Look at Bioshock 2 or Mass Effect 2 for example, both of those games textures, particle effects and shaders look remarkably better on PC, let alone the smoother playing experience even on my piddly 9600GT.  Just because the console offer the same experience by brand or name, it doesn't mean the fidelity is the same.  Also 16xQ AA is a crazy level of AA, why not 4XAA and 16Aniso which no current console game provides for at all.  I think the latest shots of Halo : Reach show higher levels of aniso then I've ever seen on XBOX 360 game.  Aniso is practically free on PC these days.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wosifat

As I learn more, the wishlist is changing.  At present...
    Rosewell R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case with 350W Power Supply - Figure it's cheap, but not too cheap.  Was gonna go with a separate power supply, but I figure starting with a case with one gives me a bit of time to get a decent one, and give me an idea of where to start looking for a replacement.
    MSI 760GM-E51 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - 16GB RAM max and a Radeon 3000 onboard  may hold me for a bit playing the games I bought on Steam for my current system.
    AMD Athlon II X2 Regor 2.8GHz  Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - The plan is to start here and eventually replace with a Phenom II X4.
    Patriot 2GB 240-Pin DD3 SDRAM DDR3 1033 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Module - Don't know if I'll start with one or two of these.
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380215AS 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/S 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - The idea being to have a small hard drive with just Windows and a separate, larger drive for data.
    Haven't chosen the data drive, GPU, or optical drive yet.  If I can use the DVD-ROM from this system, that'll be it until I replace the PSU, add ram, get a video card and replace it with a Blu-Ray.  Don't feel like blowing thirty bucks on a DVD burner when I don't burn any DVDs.  As for an OS, I don't know whether I'll go retail or OEM, and while I don't have over 4GB RAM, Tiger Direct has xp OEM for $90  If I go Win7, I go 64 bit.
    This is where I stand at present, subject to change.  And yeah, I plan to build.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Geno
    @SeriouslyNow: There are technical benefits but I don't think the overall experience is significantly different with a mid-end PC compared to a console. You can't enable super high AA to fully eliminate jaggies, you don't get perfect 60fps with even  4xAA at 1080p with most games and you can't enable Physx for impressive environmental effects. With games like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 even impressing me, a PC graphics whore with a relatively high-end system, it just seems that a PC at that budget wouldn't be worthwhile, and it would be better off for him to spend it on good games.  

@wosifat: Anything under 4GB RAM is suicide. Also, go quad core, it's only a little more expensive than dual core and provides significant performance benefits in most games. You will also need at the very least a 600W power supply for stability. And what is your approximate budget again? SeriouslyNow and I can help you choose a good list of parts if you want but in my personal opinion you're better off going the console route.  
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Azrail

i spent 500 on an ibuypower computer 1.5 years ago, ahd to spend 100 for 9800gt video card 

got 3.0 dual core, 2 gigs ram (easy to upgrade later), 200 gig harddrive

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wosifat

I already have a 360.  Just getting into Steam after finding games my current system will run, but more often than not, my video card won't handle them, and the motherboard only has PCI, which inspired this build.  I'll probably start off with the above list (maybe changing out the processor for quad core) and upgrading incrimentally, but I probably won't overclock, watercool and dual GPU it.  My budget WAS $500, but it's naive wishful thinking.  I'm getting my tax refund in the next week, but I don't want to blow the entire refund on the computer.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By DCFGS3

Four gig RAM is pretty much needed, I would recommend Quad core, I have an i7 920, although I think the i7 range goes lower. The three major things you need to be concious about is your cpu, your amount of ram, and your graphics card. For the graphics card I have an ATI 4890, but will upgrade when the new Nvidia range comes out and drives down the price of the 5870s, if you can get a Graphics card in the 5000s range, I would do that. Then again, there's also Nvidia, but I'm not sure about their models, I know they're generally more expensive for performance, and also cost more to run than ATI.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @wosifat: 

Well if you can safely stretch that budget to around 700 dollars, that should get you a pretty damn fine machine as long as you use the TV for output.  That Cyberpower system looks pretty good considering its components are all pretty top notch for the dollar.

@DCFGS3:
    Umm no.  Unless you're talking about the upper end Nvidia cards, the GTS250, 9800GT and 9600GT are far more lower wattage in power demand terms than their ATI equivalents.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wosifat

Have an old CRT that I'll use until I get an LCD, and I probably won't go too large with it.  The big mystery is choosing a GPU, with the cryptic alphanumeric gumbo that is the chipset names, and figuring out which is better, and which will give reasonable performance, and which isn't worth bothering with (and that's before dealing with the different brands of cards.)  Like I said, I'm looking for more bang for the buck than biggest bang.  Thinking of ATI.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Geno
    @wosifat said:

" I already have a 360.  Just getting into Steam after finding games my current system will run, but more often than not, my video card won't handle them, and the motherboard only has PCI, which inspired this build.  I'll probably start off with the above list (maybe changing out the processor for quad core) and upgrading incrimentally, but I probably won't overclock, watercool and dual GPU it.  My budget WAS $500, but it's naive wishful thinking.  I'm getting my tax refund in the next week, but I don't want to blow the entire refund on the computer. "

DFI Lanparty Blood Iron Elite (LGA 775 mobo):  
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136053&cm_re=dfi_lanparty_dk_p45-t2rs-_-13-136-053-_-Product    ($100) 
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz 4MB L2 Cache:  
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115207 ($150) 
    G.Skill 4GB RAM 
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122 ($85)  
    Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073 ($55)  
    OCZ 600W + Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case 
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.330933 ($110) --> $85 after rebate  
     Samsung Optical Drive/DVD Burner 
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175  ($25)
     Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857&cm_re=5850-_-14-102-857-_-Product ($310) 

Total:  $810 after rebate. All brand name, quality parts. A lot of emphasis on the graphics card because that is by far the most important performance factor in most games. The Radeon HD 5850 is actually rather high end, and I made sure not to bottleneck it by getting you a fairly good quad core as well. You should get very good performance in most games with this. Note that you will still have to provide the monitor and OS, but this is basically the best bang for buck you can get at the moment.   

You can get a good idea of the performance here:  http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5850/. Take the fps values and take off about 33% to compensate for the processor speed and memory speed (they are using oc'd i7 and 6GB DDR3). You would still be getting 80fps avg in games like COD4 at max settings (1080p, 4xAA, 16AF, highest settings) so I would say that's very good for the price. 

24" 1080p LCD's are only $200 now:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wosifat

I was thinking about sticking with AMD processors, and that motherboard only takes 8GB RAM max.  Do appreciate the input, though.
    But I was wondering, has any of this helped the OP?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By captain_clayman

save more money

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.