Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

SO I'm now a Vista hater... will this be a problem?

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kamolahy

I just got a new PC sent to my house.. I used Vista for the last year on my last PC and ran into enough issues to make me crazy. I wanna go back to XP on my next machine, but will it be fully supported for all my gaming needs? Have people moved on from PC enough?

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Stick with Vista damnit

You may miss some XP features, but guess what, you'll miss more Vista features than you can think to remember

And of course games will support XP for at least the next 6 years....Over 200 million businesses use XP, therefore software will almost always be comp.

Avatar image for vash_the_stampede
    Vash_The_Stampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vash_The_Stampede

XP has still plenty of support for games, i actually believe that they will run a lot smoother since most Vista-running PC's are equipped to run XP at blazing speeds...so I would go for the OS downgrade

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona

I still don't get why so many people are claiming to have so many problems with Vista. I've had far less problems with Vista than I did with XP.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    Kazona said:
    "I still don't get why so many people are claiming to have so many problems with Vista. I've had far less problems with Vista than I did with XP."

Yep. Yep.

I love Vista...Almost no crashs with games and when I do video editing
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By KamasamaK

Windows XP should still be supported by games for a while, but you won't get native DirectX 10 support so don't expect to get the best experience.

I've been using Vista for over a year and a half and have had minimal problems. I'd have a hard time going back to XP at this point. Unless your problems with Vista are fundamental issues, I'd recommend running it on your new PC for a while to see if these problems persist before downgrading.

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kamolahy

Here's one example... I play FFXI.. you can tweak the graphics beyond their capabilities with some registry fixes in XP.. not in Vista..

ya know.. stuff like that.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hexpane

I have vista at home, it was crap at first but now w/ the service pack it's a wee bit better

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

XP is fully support except by alot of windows live games and most of those games have hacks and patches that make them XP supportable, Microsoft extended the support period for XP by another 6 months and all the news points to one simple fact

Microsoft will literally skip the Vista gen as much as possible and release Windows 7 as soon as possible, So i wouldn't worry about using XP.
    P.S: I love vista i've had no problems whatsoever with it i cant understand how people have such problems with it when i dont.

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By jangofett88

I got vista at launch and ran dual boot for a while due to some compatibility problems with older games (RA2 and FS2004). After SP1, I moved to Vista only and the only problems I've had (at no fault to Vista) are SecuROM crashing Windows Explorer and preventing it from starting on boot.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Virago

The real problem is having a PC.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kazona
    Virago said:
    "The real problem is having a PC.
    "
    Touche!
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PureRok
    kamolahy said:
    "Here's one example... I play FFXI.. you can tweak the graphics beyond their capabilities with some registry fixes in XP.. not in Vista..

ya know.. stuff like that."
    You can do that in Vista. I know, I have Vista and FFXI. Don't spread bullshit. Most people who bash Vista either
    1. Have never even used it (or haven't used it for more than ten minutes)
    2. Are idiots (fact! I've noticed the people who have the most problems with it are the stupidest people I've ever met.)
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Absurd
    PureRok said:
    "kamolahy said:
    "Here's one example... I play FFXI.. you can tweak the graphics beyond their capabilities with some registry fixes in XP.. not in Vista..

You can do that in Vista. I know, I have Vista and FFXI. Don't spread bullshit."
    And I wouldn't call that an "issue" either...I have XP by the way, not by choice though, I just have an older laptop.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane

even microsoft admits vista was a giant mistake.  It's not the worst OS ever, (Windows ME) but it's an epic phail

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Black_Raven

I've mainly being using windows XP but recently I've started using vista and have had no problems yet, some of my games are even running significatly better. I split my HDD into two identical partitions for an XP installation but to be honest if vista keeps performing without any real issues then I might just stick with it. Most of the bad stuff you hear about vista is coming from people who havent properly used it.

Voldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Voldy
    PureRok said:
    "kamolahy said:

You can do that in Vista. I know, I have Vista and FFXI. Don't spread bullshit. Most people who bash Vista either
    1. Have never even used it (or haven't used it for more than ten minutes)
    2. Are idiots (fact! I've noticed the people who have the most problems with it are the stupidest people I've ever met.)
    "
    Agreed, I was the idiot once who had never used it but still hated it, until I got it. Vista is great, but I do have 4GB RAM, it runs smoothly and I think its much better than XP.

To the people who cannot run it: Get some more RAM!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the hell does everyone hate on Vista?

it runs fine, I've never had any problems with it, and I've been using it for just over a year.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By atejas

If you can tweak it enough(look up the youtube guides), and have a beast of a machine, it's supposedly better.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lunarbunny

I'm an XP Pro holdout but for the most part I hear Vista's got its wrinkles out. Plus if you're hoping for 64 bit computing (unlikely) or at least more than 3-3.5GB of RAM (since XP PAE is gimped), then get Vista 64-bit.

EDIT: to clarify, I mean see more than 3GB of RAM. I'm running 4GB in my desktop running XP, but I can only see 3GB of RAM.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#21  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    atejas said:
    "If you can tweak it enough(look up the youtube guides), and have a beast of a machine, it's supposedly better."

This is true.  I've got Vista on my laptop, which is a pretty beastly machine.  With enough tweaking, I've had no trouble whatsoever with games running on Vista, and certain older DOS based games actually run better on Vista than XP.  You will have to do tweaking with certain old school games in your compatibility options - for example, I couldn't get Fallout to work properly with its default color scheme in Vista, but with a few options changed up, it works great.
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Will1Lucky

I love Vista and intend to upgrade to Windows 7 when that is released.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Gunner

If you already have vista, there is no need to spend $100 to go back. Just stick with it and get windows 7 when it comes out if it bothers you so bad. No need to spend money to downgrade your computer.

Arramol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arramol

To the reasons already given for sticking with Vista, I'd add that you're not actually going to get all that great of a framerate boost by switching to XP as long as your machine meets the sysreqs for Vista.  Benchmarks for Vista SP1 and XP SP3 actually show Vista as close to or even faster than XP.  Make sure you have at least 2gb of RAM, and you'll be fine.  I've found Vista to be fairly nice since SP1.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By KamasamaK
    Arramol said:
    "To the reasons already given for sticking with Vista, I'd add that you're not actually going to get all that great of a framerate boost by switching to XP as long as your machine meets the sysreqs for Vista.  Benchmarks for Vista SP1 and XP SP3 actually show Vista as close to or even faster than XP.  Make sure you have at least 2gb of RAM, and you'll be fine.  I've found Vista to be fairly nice since SP1."
    Here's one such benchmark. Be sure to look at the next page for actual games.
    Avatar image for altered_confusion
    Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

I think the OS experience really depends on the person. I personally don't mind Vista, on most days, but I feel the same way about it as I did with XP. Now as for gaming, I'm pretty sure going back to XP isn't going to make your games stop working. Its not like you're trying to change to a competitor's OS. So I say if you feel the need for XP, and want to give Vista the finger, go for it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Snail

I advise sticking to Vista.

1. It doesn't give me any problems
    2. Have the service pack installed
    3. Downgrading will give you even more problems... Big time problems.
    BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I got Vista Home Premium on my Alienware. I upgraded it to 64-bit, and I love it. Honestly, I have less trouble on my Vista machine that I have had on any XP machine I've ever owned. The above posters are correct: it can be as big a memory hog as XP was, but with tweaking, it's a slick OS.

Oh, and about those PC/Mac slights. I'd love a Mac, but I can't justify paying Apple's prices just to get an Intel rig to dual-boot Vista on anyway. It's kinda funny how the biggest thing to hit the Mac was being able to run Windows :)

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Cirdain
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By super_machine

believe it or not, vista is running my work computer way better than XP did. The key I think, is stripping down all the hand holding and baby sitting features. I even have it setup to look like classic windows xp style.

PLanter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PLanter

Vista is a good OS ive been using it for atleast 1 year and I havent had any real problem that I coudlt resolve with it.

People saying vista sucks are just sheeps that follow wath ever they hear
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hexpane

Vista is 10X better than when it launched now  that it finally has a decent service pack

Microsoft basically charged people to beta test for them, as per usual

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#34  Edited By Cirdain

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.