Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Soft Crackling in PSU?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hello friends. I recently built my first PC due in large part to the kind people of these here forums (a billion thanks for your help). However, I had to send my first PSU back as it made a loud crack sound on first startup, then continued to make a quiet, high-pitched but soft crackling noise while occasionally just shutting down. I just finished setting up with my new PSU (Corsair TX750M) and though none of the major issues from the last PSU are present, the crackling noise is still there. It's erratic, and seems to be most noticeable when the system is under load. Right now it's not even happening, but it is there more often than not. Is this normal? I can't bring myself to believe two PSU's in a row could have the same problem (though they are the same brand...). Help me Giantbomb!

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's not normal at all.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it stopped... After I installed all my drivers and updates. Hmm.....

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devildoll

are you talking about coil whine?

Loading Video...

it can sound in a couple of different ways, but here is an example, search for more on youtube , "coil whine"

it can happen when the graphics card is under load, you'll get one little chirp per frame rendered.

so the sound will change as you look around and your fps changes.

it doesnt have to be the psu that makes the sound btw.

its not dangerous, but some people find it anoyying.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devildoll: Hmm no, haven't heard that one. But a new sound has taken the place of the crackling (actually, the crackling is still there.. Just super light). I think it's the fan because it sounds more physical, and only happens when playing a game or installing something. Not sure why the fan would make that much noise. Just as long as the risk of this thing taking out my entire build is super low, I can deal. Not sure how warranty would even handle that...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@killacam said:

@devildoll: Hmm no, haven't heard that one. But a new sound has taken the place of the crackling (actually, the crackling is still there.. Just super light). I think it's the fan because it sounds more physical, and only happens when playing a game or installing something. Not sure why the fan would make that much noise. Just as long as the risk of this thing taking out my entire build is super low, I can deal. Not sure how warranty would even handle that...

That sounds likes a hard drive thing. What kind of hard drive do you have? If it's an SSD, this won't happen, because there aren't any moving parts. But if there's a standard HDD in your system, you should back all your stuff up from that drive, because it might fail sooner rather than later.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By killacam

@ubersmake said:

That sounds likes a hard drive thing. What kind of hard drive do you have? If it's an SSD, this won't happen, because there aren't any moving parts. But if there's a standard HDD in your system, you should back all your stuff up from that drive, because it might fail sooner rather than later.

Well I have both, but I'm running games off the SSD. It's definitely coming from the PSU though.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@devildoll: I'm pretty sure that's the worst sound in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.