Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Software for learning electric guitar from the start?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Its been a while since I first began learning guitar and I am basically back to square one at this point after a year hiatus. But I've decided to give it another go. I need something that works, not some guy in a video explaining things at his pace.  

Are there any programs or software out there designed to teach electric guitar from the start that actually work?    It doesn't need to take input from my playing, but something other than a video I need to rewind every 5 min would be a great help.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Tordah

I wouldn't say it's designed for teaching, but Guitar Pro is an excellent and super easy program to use if you want to learn songs quickly. Basically, what it does is play a midi version over scrolling tablature and/or sheet music.  

When I first started playing guitar I had trouble getting the timing down when I tried learning stuff from tabs. It's much easier when you can actually hear the parts you're trying to learn as you're playing them. In Guitar Pro, you can also slow the tempo down if you're having trouble with the speed, or put a certain bar on repeat 99 times if that's what you need to do in order to nail it. 

However, it doesn't tell you anything about how to play something. If you're unfamiliar with techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, tapping, pinch harmonics, etc. then I suggest you look elsewhere. Another thing that the tabs usually lack is finger positions, i.e. what notes to play with which finger in a chord or melody. This is not a big deal if you have some basic skill level already, but beginners can often pick up bad habits trying to figure that stuff out on their own.  

Although, if you're looking for pure lessons and exercises then most of those tabs actually do have finger positions annotated. It's just that most people who tab songs for their favourite bands don't care/are too lazy to write down all that stuff.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy
    @MrOldboy:
    Firstly I wouldn't even recommend using software. Some of the major things to do first is to: 

1. Learn which notes are which on the guitar - the main thing to know is that there is nothing in between B/C and E/F. Every other note has a sharp/flat. A# and B flat are the same note and it's the same for all others, except B# (which is a C), Cflat (Which is a B), E# (which is F) and F flat (which is E).  
    3. Guitars are standardly tuned to E,A,D,G,B,E. Knowing this you can discern any note on the neck using step 1, then eventually memorize them. 
    3. Know the major chords, how to make them sharps and flats by shifting, and how to make them minors. Many songs just go by these simple chords. Also, the individual notes in a chord is great for comprehension
    nintendmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nintendmoe
    @MrOldboy: It's probably worth getting a teacher in the long run; he'll be able to tell you little things that go a long way to improving your ability. 
    If you have a Mac, there's this software called Capo which lets you slow down songs and make tabs for it, which is nice if you're trying to learn songs from an artist that isn't that popular. You can find it here ( http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/Capo/). The trial limits you to 5 minute stretches. 

Do what  xyzygy said aswell, learning the notes on the fretboard will prove very useful in the long run
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McGhee

As someone who has made the mistake of being self-taught before, just find a good teacher and take lessons. The only self taught musician I've known that was any good just so happened to be a musical genius. So he could get away with it. :P

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac: What's so wrong with being self taught? It's not so bad if you read up on musical theory and actually want to learn it.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee
    @xyzygy said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac: What's so wrong with being self taught? It's not so bad if you read up on musical theory and actually want to learn it. "
    I'm only giving my experience, which is that learning from a teacher is better. If you can do it, then great.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By tourgen
    @MrOldboy: I don't know if you know the fundamentals of music and guitar technique yet, but if not please check out the books by Bruce Emery.  Guitar From Scratch and Guitar From Scratch: The Sequel are good but definitely aimed at an acoustic guitar player.  Two of his other books in the Music Principles for the Skeptical Guitarist - volume 1 and 2 teach basic music theory as it pertains to the guitar, all the important chords, scales, chord substitution, chord families, and generally just teaches you how to move around the neck and sound good.

Sorry I haven't found any good pieces of software.  My only luck has been with just listening along and looking at tab for songs I know.  Youtube has some decent videos on different techniques too.  If you just want to learn songs and solos that probably all you have to do after learning the basic playing techniques.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Ultimate-Guitar.com has beginner tabs and articles on everything concerning guitar playing, so read their articles and download their tabs (which you can play in the best program Guitar Pro 5)

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrOldboy

I've used Guitar pro whenI first started learning a while ago, learned intros to a few songs, but thats it. Ultimate-guitar is where I learned the basics and got recommendations on my first amp/guitar so I am aware of them.

I should have said that I have a music background. I played the baritone and trumpet for a while and still play the trumpet now. My music reading skills are a bit rusty, but I understand the basics of how music works.  

I own a few books. Did nothing for me. I need to see and hear in order to learn. I guess my best option is a combination of videos and something like Guitar Pro. I guess thats what i was looking for. Something that was built like a course that ran you through the basics and when you were ready, move onto the next class. I guess that's what a book or dvd would do anyways so maybe I should try that again. A teacher is frankly not an option. I'm not looking to spend much more on this, my little hobby on the side.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By neozeke
    @MrOldboy: Dude, lessons. It's impeccable that you learn proper technique. This year I went back and fixed many of my short comings as a guitarist (thumb over the top, lazy fretting, lazy trem picking etc. etc.) and overall it has given me a much cleaner articulate sound and made playing 16th note runs way easier, it really makes me wish I learned it right first. Honestly, you probably can get away with a month at most and be fine. just save up some cash and go out and get some. 
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrOldboy
    @neozeke: yes I understand, but I am not a musician. I am student about to enter a master's program in the fall. I dont have the time to devote time/money for a teacher. This is just a side hobby for now. I need something that I can use ot self teach myself when I want to.
    neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By neozeke
    @MrOldboy: Well fellow, you're not going to find that. Get a video or a (good) book, you can just do it I suppose. Or, just put it off until you're down with your program. It's as simple as that. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.