Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

SSD as boot drive and HDD for games storage, performance improvement?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Hey all, i finally took the plunge today and ordered a 250GB Samsung evo 850 SSD. I was planning to utilize the SSD as my C: drive (OS primarily) and install my games to a seperate HDD. I know the SSD will speed up my boot and OS but was wondering if i'd see any performance improvement in games as my games are all installed to a separate HDD. i'm just uneasy about installing games to it as games eat up a ton of space and i've also heard they don't like to be written to and deleted from over and over as i tend to do with my games install drive.
    Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup?

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrotherBran

You actually wont see any improvement from the in game load times if you do it that way, however you also shouldnt see any dip in performance from where you were

i also have the 250 GB and have been putting games on it and i highly recommend making the space, especially for open world games

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@oldmanlight: You won't see any speed boost in games unless the game is actually on the SSD. The SSD is still worth it, and you'll probably have enough room to install a game or two here and there. Don't worry about the limited number of writes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

As a consumer, you really don't need to worry about SSD performance degradation due to writing to it too many times. It would take thousands and thousands of terabytes of write cycles to reduce performance by even a percentage point or two, nothing you would even notice outside of synthetic benchmarks. Just use your SSD and enjoy it.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Oh, that's good news. it would be nice to keep whatever game i'm spending the most time on on the SSD for faster load times. Thanks for the input all!

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By audiosnow

@oldmanlight: I have an SSD for my OS and a slower RPM HDD for my media and games, and I use SteamTool to move the handful of games I want to play between the drives. It creates an NTFS junction so that Steam and Windows both see the moved game as if it was still within the Steam folder, so updates and playability aren't affected by moving it.

http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As for games on an SSD, I've noticed slightly shorter load times, and in games with a lot of pop-in the SSD seems help a bit too. Keep in mind this is pretty minor to the point where I wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't installed the game on a regular HDD first before switching over.

Personally I'd just use the SSD as a boot drive with your OS and for all of you apps and then just use a regular HDD for games and storage.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

When you're worried about SSD vs HDD degradation from storing games, just remember that the HDD involves actual mechanical movements to read and write.

The tip about performance I'd give is if a game you play often has pop-in and/or loads/streams a lot of content throughout playing, put it on SSD to improve the performance. If it's a game that loads almost all of ton of content at once, and you have other stuff that might better benefit from the SSD, put that on HDD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.