Steam Big Picture - Questions in this brand new gaming world

#1 Posted by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

Hi guys,

Up until now I have gone to my Xbox360 for certain experiences namely FPS games (I like playing these from the couch/living room and prefer a controller), action games and first person style RPG's (Fallout, Skyrim)

The recent purchase of a high performance gaming PC and the introduction of Steam big picture has turned this on its head and I have now moved my big TV upstairs to my PC and linked it via HDMI. I am now going to make steam purchases more often for the genres mentioned above. The questions are :-

• Are PC ports from console always a good option these days or should I still be wary of this?
  • Are others starting to ditch the current gen consoles and follow this way of doing things?
  • Do you guys miss the achievement/ friend integration from Xbox live?
  • Is there a place I can go or a community that is catered for this kind of thing? I'm talking about a PC focused on using it as a console/controller oriented setup
#2 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -
  • Are PC ports from console always a good option these days or should I still be wary of this?

The PC port is almost always the better option and almost always has controller support.

• Are others starting to ditch the current gen consoles and follow this way of doing things?

Yeah, this sort of thing seems to have been going on for a while now. A lot of people have switched, myself included recently.

Not in the least. You know what I don't miss? My $60 per year, 'cause it's still in my wallet. It's worth mentioning that a decent number of Steam games still have achievements that pop up so if achievements were your thing then you can still go after them.

• Is there a place I can go or a community that is catered for this kind of thing? I'm talking about a PC focused on using it as a console/controller oriented setup

Not that I know of, but the issues at hand are being talked about a lot.

#3 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

My take on your questions:

I'd still be wary. Generally speaking, the PC version is always better, just by virtue of running on newer/faster/better hardware. But every once in a while, you'll run into a bad port. My latest experience has been Trenched Iron Brigade. As far as single player is concerned, it's a better version of the original 360 version. But I've had hell getting three other friends into the same game to shoot things. Still, this is definitely an off case, and I'm hoping that my issues with multiplayer are isolated to just a few people (although the Steam forums for that game seem to indicate otherwise).

Not really? There are still games I'm looking forward to playing on the PS3, but there's pretty much nothing I'm interested in playing on the 360. So if I can have a better experience on the PC, and if my friends are playing games on the PC, I'll play on the PC.

Nope. But again, I never really cared for achievements. And if you play a game on Steam that uses GFWL, you'll still get that integration. Although that might be buggy. The guide button on the 360 controller maps to the overlay on Steam Big Picture, and also maps to the menus for GFWL. So I have no idea how that works.

Not off the top of my head. There are a few threads here on Giant Bomb. There are also probably some threads open on the Steam forums. Someone should really just open a thread for this on GB, though. One massive, all-encompassing thread for PCs with TVs with gamepads.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

Pretty sure friend integration is much better on Steam than xbox. I can just hit join friend and it will put me in their game from the desktop.

#5 Posted by Amafi (651 posts) -

Yeah, friend/group stuff in steam is fantastic.

Join the GB pc club on there, they run games fairly regularly that I'm never able to join because of my work schedule.

#6 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

The best part is that now you can go to your window, rip your upper vests out and yell "PC MASTER RACE HO!" at passing people.

#7 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Even bad ports are better than console versions.

and I don't miss Xbox Live at all, it's an overpriced service that has failed to evolve.

#8 Posted by Kazona (3063 posts) -

Barring the occassional bad one, pc ports are almost always better now. @Sooty

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.