Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam freezes ALL THE TIME!

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kohe321

Steam freezes all the time. I start it up, and if I click on anything (say, the link to a new game) it loads for 1-2 seconds and then stops responding and I have to ctrl-alt-del to shut it down. The only thing that doesn't cause it to crash all the time is just launching games from the desktop. Since launching games sort of works, I've not bothered trying to fix it... Until now

So I finally decided to try and fix this crap yesterday and started googling. What I have tried:

- (Re)installed Steam the "correct way" using instructions from valve.
    - Updated my graphics drivers (removed the old drivers correctly using driver sweeper)
    - Tried 3 different Antivirus programs since Steam reportedly doesn't run well with some. The problem persists even with no antivirus program installed...
    - Reinstalled Internet explorer (read this is some thread I found through google, apparently Steam uses IE when browsing through the store?)
    - Defragmented the disc Steam is installed on

No luck yet, it still freezes whenever I click on anything. My system is fairly new (4gig ram, HD4850, intel 9550) and doesn't have problems running any other programs than Steam. This really sucks... Anyone got any idea how to fix it?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio

Woah, sorry bud. What's your OS?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I get similar freezes when I've recently reinstalled steam. After I transfer my game files back into the steam directory, when I start it up it seems to run fine, but when I click on anything it freezes. I always assumed it was due to the huge numbers of game files it had to process. But after leaving it on it's own for a while (usually about 10 mins) it unfreezes and works fine and starts up fine the next times I run steam. Are you sure just leaving it after it has frozen won't work? It might need leaving for longer if you have more/larger game files.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kohe321
    @Emilio said:
    " Woah, sorry bud. What's your OS? "
    I use windows XP SP3

@MattyFTM said:
    " I get similar freezes when I've recently reinstalled steam. After I transfer my game files back into the steam directory, when I start it up it seems to run fine, but when I click on anything it freezes. I always assumed it was due to the huge numbers of game files it had to process. But after leaving it on it's own for a while (usually about 10 mins) it unfreezes and works fine and starts up fine the next times I run steam. Are you sure just leaving it after it has frozen won't work? It might need leaving for longer if you have more/larger game files. "
    Ah great hearing that it isn't just my system.. :P I have never tried just leaving it frozen to see if it starts responding again. I think the longest I ever waited was a minute (maximum)... I'll test and see if I leave it for 10 minutes now. :)

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kohe321

Nope it's still stuck after over 30 minutes... It just stops responding if I click ANYTHING in the Steam store. Bah...

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xelloss

Uh this might sound weird but I had this problem a really long time ago, apparently there is a bug with a Linksys WRT54G router, just update there firmware and steam is working.  Thats of course assuming you have a WRT54G router.  You might also consider updating your routers firmware if you don't have that one.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By tekmojo

I can't believe Steam using Internet Explorer, just wow. This explains why I can barely travel through simple web pages throughout the store. Sometimes it will just sit there acting like it will load but in fact it stalls out, I think my IE is corrupt so that explains a bunch. Unfortunately I can't uninstall IE. Great huh?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PureRok

I've never had Steam freeze. I've had it crash once, but that might because I like to dick around with memory addresses on occasion...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yup it does freeze alot and i cant stand the idea that if i need to play a game i need to have Steam on  =\

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kohe321
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? "
    Internet Explorer 8, fully updated.

@Xelloss said:
    " Uh this might sound weird but I had this problem a really long time ago, apparently there is a bug with a Linksys WRT54G router, just update there firmware and steam is working.  Thats of course assuming you have a WRT54G router.  You might also consider updating your routers firmware if you don't have that one. "
    I do not have a linksys router, but updating the firmware is a good idea. I can test that later today.

It's weird, though, I haven't done anything different to my PC today and suddenly Steam works. I'll try to reboot and see if the problem is back, I have a feeling I'm just very lucky right now...
    foff_esso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By foff_esso

Had the same problem. Go into your router, deselect/uncheck NAT (do NOT use NAT, Network Adress Translation).

That solved it for me. I thought. Then it was back again. But now it's gone for good! I hope...

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though...disableing NAT typically disables all the hardware firewalls your router has. Probably why it works better. I sometimes have steam freeze on me, but more importantly- i can't buy anything from it. Its like the latency times out or something. Program isn't patient enough. Oh well. Beyond my original copys of half life 2, I don't really use steam.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheHumanDove

My steam never freezes. My steam is so hot it melts any freezing etc. Maybe your computer sucks. I dont really know. Just throwing out the suggestion

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

Does it freeze in offline mode, too?

Check your processes during the freeze, how much % memory is Steam using?

Does Steam freeze in Safe mode with Networking?

If you're still stuck, try opening a support ticket. Steam Support is really good, they just aren't the fastest.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ShadowSkill11

It does that if your internet connection is really slow or unstable. Leave it alone and don't touch anything if you see the border look wierd.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bio595

TBH the service is fantastic, the program is a pile of shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.