Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam games always act like its the first time running

OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OrfBC

Many (not all) of my games on Steam always want to do their initial installation stuff like checking Directx installation etc every time I run them. This triggers UAC, so I have to type in my admin password every time I want to play. Up until now, this has just been mildly inconvenient, but I would like to put the computer in the living room and run Big Picture mode at some point in the nearish future, which means it will be more of an issue since I won't have a keyboard easily accessible. Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

morello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morello

The old solution for this is to go into your games folder (steam\steamapps\common\<gamefolder>) and delete any vdf files (installscript.vdf, 12345.vdf etc), which are installer files which should have been deleted after the first launch. That should probably fix it, unless they've changed how that is handled. Other than that perhaps running the Steam Cleaner tool - http://steamcleaner.tikione.fr/en/ - to get rid of all the extra redistributable packages for each game, which may stop the games from trying to run the installation files again as they won't be there. Failing that I guess you'll need to get a wireless keyboard...

OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OrfBC

Thanks, I'll give the .vdf thing a shot!

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jack268

Run as adminstrator

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

Unplug your router then plug it back in.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Turn off UAC?

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By mscupcakes

I have this exact same problem too. It's a small annoyance but it only takes like 3 seconds and then the game launches anyway. Not a huge deal.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

This might help:

• Close Steam and make sure it's not open in your task manager. If it's still in task manager after you close it, force-kill the process.
    • Open up your Steam installation directory. It's most likely C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
    • Delete the files appupdatestats.blob. Doing this will force Steam re-check all your games for updates and hopefully solve the problem.
    • Restart Steam and let it update itself.
    • PROFIT!

Cheers!

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Run as adminstrator

This, I've found that I can eliminate games doing what you say if the first time I run them is as an administrator
    OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OrfBC

Thanks for the helpful ideas and the troll posts! I will definitely try unplugging my router and plugging it back in. , that is absurd and I will absolutely not be trying that next.

No Caption Provided
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravenlight
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor

@Ravenlight said:

This might help:

• Close Steam and make sure it's not open in your task manager. If it's still in task manager after you close it, force-kill the process.
    • Open up your Steam installation directory. It's most likely C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
    • Delete the files appupdatestats.blob. Doing this will force Steam re-check all your games for updates and hopefully solve the problem.
    • Restart Steam and let it update itself.
    • PROFIT!

Cheers!

Oh thank God - I didn't know this was a common issue but it's been driving me mad for the past year. Guess I'll find out if it works next week once Dishonored and Xcom are released...

OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OrfBC

Your sarcasm detector is broken. Or my sarcasm generator is. I will, in fact, be trying that next, and thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@OrfBC said:

Your sarcasm detector is broken. Or my sarcasm generator is. I will, in fact, be trying that next, and thanks for the suggestion. :)

It's been a long day apparently :/

My post only listed appupdatestats.blob file, but the Steam support site says to delete clientregistry.blob both of these files can be safely removed without breaking anything and 90% of the time deleting and reacquiring them fixes issues with Steam or Steam games.

Cheers!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.