Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam reaches over 30 million active accounts.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JP_Russell
     http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/18/thirty-million-steam-accounts/     

"Valve send us the news that their digital download service has proven rather popular.

During the past 12 months the platform had year-over-year new user growth of 178%, pushing the total number of active accounts to over 30 million, with over 1,200 games now offered. Peak simultaneous player numbers were also up to over three million, with over six million unique gamers accessing Steam each day.

In addition to new user growth, Steam sales during the trailing 12 months increased by more than 200%, putting it on track for a sixth straight year of realizing over 100% year-over-year growth in unit sales. To meet this demand, the Steam infrastructure has been increased and now has ability to run at 400Gps, enough bandwidth to ship a digitized version of the Oxford English Dictionary 92.6 times per second.

Six million unique users each day being the crucial fact there, fact fans. If you’re one of those companies that says there’s no market for PC games, well, the chances (are) you were just doing something wrong." 

Very cool.  I love that a service that tries to gain favor by treating its consumers, well, favorably, can become popular like Steam has.  So much else out there is so concerned with forcibly controlling everything, and consistently nickle and diming consumers to the limits of their tolerance levels, that it's nice to see a big business in this industry can be successful and continue to grow at an exponential rate without being so dirty and unfriendly.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Good for them, and their crazy deals.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jasta

Thats impressive. I love Steam, it has never done me wrong.

Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Food

just bought tales of monkey island for 5 bucks.  would do it again.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Been a member of Steam since the day it launched as an open beta and I love it still. Over 200 games owned on it, and I'm mostly a console gamer.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

The Illuminati own Steam.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jayjonesjunior

that's alot of dictionaries.

ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ReefTrigger
    If only all 30 million played TF2 lol.  I have to admit that I am slightly worried about the amount of control valve has over the market, though so far it seems that valve is being more than generous with it's services.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By agentboolen
    @ReefTrigger said:
    " If only all 30 million played TF2 lol.  I have to admit that I am slightly worried about the amount of control valve has over the market, though so far it seems that valve is being more than generous with it's services. "
    If there ever is a company to take video gaming away from consoles and make it bigger on PC it would most likely be Valve at this point.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64

:D

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That good news for pc gaming and digital distrubution.

ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReefTrigger
    @agentboolen said:
    " @ReefTrigger said:
    " If only all 30 million played TF2 lol.  I have to admit that I am slightly worried about the amount of control valve has over the market, though so far it seems that valve is being more than generous with it's services. "
    If there ever is a company to take video gaming away from consoles and make it bigger on PC it would most likely be Valve at this point. "
    I'm not saying that Valve is worse than any other distribution controller (Just look at apple and the iDevice), in fact, I think they're probably one of the best.  In general I'm a more laissez faire type of guy, though that tends not to work that well on the internet (android marketplace) due to the high concentration of dooshbags.  (not to mention the anonymity)
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

I'm still curious about sales data, and whether they counted my friend that lost his old Steam login.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Diamond said:
    "I'm still curious about sales data, and whether they counted my friend that lost his old Steam login. "

I take "active accounts" to mean all accounts that have ever been made that were not subsequently deactivated (i.e., banned) at some point in the future, whether still in use or not.  So as long as his account was never actually deactivated, they probably did.

As for sales, it's my understanding that the data from Steam's top sellers list is based on revenue, not copies sold, so I presume that's also the case for the sales increase percentage they've given.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Driadon

Interesting, only 8 million less then the current PS3 install base. considering this is only for the Steam service, this is damn impressive.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShockD

Good. I'm not one of them :P

ComradeLarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ComradeLarko

Proud Steam user right here. Best thing to happen to PC gaming.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By unchained

Yeah, Steam's okay! 

It is a great service, and I'm glad they are receiving such massive success. 

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo7676

I wish I could skip work and get some Fallout New Vegas steam achievements right now.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By meteora

Steam's pretty awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.