Steam trading policy

#1 Posted by zauce (5 posts) -

I thought this would be a great place to get some feedback on my issue I am having with steam and trading for games. I traded a friend three tf2 hats for Max Pain 3. Which proceed without a hitch. Only to get this message

"Game Not Available In Your Territory"

When I tried to install. I do not think steam should let you trade for a games that are not available in your territory. What do you all think?

I am currently waiting on a reply from steam to see what they suggest.

I also noticed in steam's policy it says

What restrictions are there on trading Steam Gifts?
Trading a Steam Gift is very similar to sending a gift to someone; just that once it is traded that user can then either trade it again, or open it for themselves. There are no restrictions on territory.
#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Didn't mean to bust your balls too hard in the other thread, but your topic will get more exposure this way ;)

Your situation definitely sucks because you probably wouldn't have known about the region restriction prior to trading. Since the Steam policy you dug up seems to indicate that you shouldn't be in this mess in the first place, I wouldn't be surprised if they just added the game to your account or reimbursed you in some way.

I definitely am interesting in hearing what Steam support tells you because it may set a good or bad precedent for my future trades.

#3 Posted by zauce (5 posts) -

I finally got a reply.

Message by Support Tech Brian on Wed, 1st Aug 2012 4:03 pm

Hello Chris,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

While there are no restrictions on trading games between regions, some games do you have territory restrictions on redeeming them. Unfortunately, you will need to trade this item for a U.S. version of the game.

If you have any further difficulty, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

If they do not honor my trade I might be selling this account. I am finding that they do not support there products very well and I try to stay away from doing business with companies like this. Anyone looking to buy an account 150+ games http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963153778

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4703 posts) -

Your gonna sell your account because of one game? That you traded virtual hats for? Am I correct?

#5 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

They are under no obligation to allow game trading at all. Suck it up. Or sell your account. I don't care.

#6 Posted by Darkslayer16 (5 posts) -

It's your fault. Most if not all region locked games say they are, example being "Max Payne 3 (RU)"

#7 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Just stick with the steamgifts site, had no problem getting a game gifted to me (in the US) from someone in Europe.

#8 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

It sounds like you're interested in getting your account banned and making off with some money (unless Valve changed their policy on selling accounts) rather than seeing your situation rectified.

It seems like whatever version of the game you own that the answer is probably to find someone who can use it (as you cannot as it is not a US copy of the game and Rockstar have a policy about grey imports that blocks you using this traded item) the version you have and exchange it for their unused US version (or maybe trade it for some hats, if you'd rather some hats).

#9 Posted by zauce (5 posts) -

I will just proxy in to install the game instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.