Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam & Vista compatibility question

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I sent this question to Steam's technical support, but while I'm waiting, I'm throwing it up on a few gaming websites to see if anyone has an answer. 

Last night, in a futile attempt to try to fix a loading bug in Elder Scrolls III, I clicked the compatibility button to run it as an administrator and compatible with Windows XP.  Shouldn't have been a big deal, and it really wasn't.  But now whenever I start my computer and Steam tries to start up, it tells me that Steam shouldn't be run in compatibility mode, which I never did in the first place.  The same message also said to check Steam.exe to uncheck the compatibility options.  I checked the file, and I was right - there are no compatibility options selected.  Steam runs all right, but I'm curious as to why it would give this compatibility message whenever I try to start it up.  Any thoughts or tips? 

I've also had some issues with Morrowind on the PC.  Has anyone ran into trouble getting save files to load areas?  I play the game for a while, save, and then try to load only to have the game freeze when it tries to load areas.  Really frustrating.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Darkstar614

Did you make sure you didn't set compatibility options for "all users" ? there's another set of check boxes for All Users if you click the button near the bottom with the shield icon. Those options may still be set, which is why it's giving you the message

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Darkstar614:
    That's just it though - I never set ANY compatibility options for Steam, just for Elder Scrolls III.  And no, those weren't set to all users.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Darkstar614
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: That's weird... I'm not too sure why it would be giving you that message with Steam launches.

I remember having problems with Mass Effect 1 on steam and it was because you needed to run it as Administrator. But I didn't know it meant run STEAM as admin, not Mass Effect. You could always try taking Elder Scrolls off of compatibility mode, and try setting Steam as admin instead. I'm just throwing stuff out there at this point.. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

Did you set compatibility on the .exe of the game, or just the one in the steam games list? I think if you set compatibility on the offline version (The one that starts up without opening the steam client.) of the game then the issue should stop.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Mikemcn said:
    "Did you set compatibility on the .exe of the game, or just the one in the steam games list? I think if you set compatibility on the offline version (The one that starts up without opening the steam client.) of the game then the issue should stop. "

The compatibility was only set on the desktop shortcut to Morrowind.  Nothing more or less.  I turned off the compatibility settings after both the Morrowind and the Steam problems continued regardless of the compatibility settings. 

@Darkstar614:

Hey, that's all right!  It's a strange problem, no question about that.  Thanks for the assistance.  I think that worked at least as a temporary workaround - it still asks me upon my initial start-up of my laptop, but when I close it out and start Steam again with it running, it works just fine.  Weirder and weirder, but hey, I'll take it until I can get the Steam techs to take a look. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.