Steam vs. Gamespy vs. Games for Windows LIVE

• 110 results
#1 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

Pick which one you think is the best.

I pick Steam because of it's great distribution, system, and community.

But Windows LIVE may get more into it since it's now completely free.

#2 Posted by DavidLeeRoth (137 posts) -

Steam, but I've never used Windows Live.

#3 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Steam, by far. Gamespy second, Live is crap on the PC

#4 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Steam is slow for me, otherwise it is by far the greatest.

#5 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Steam offers a great service that isn't match right now.

#6 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

steam is awesome, gamespy is unneccisary and liv is utter crap

#7 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

Glad to see a bunch of Steam fans here.  I'm thinking about getting Garry's Mod because I have Half-Life 2 for the PC and definitely want to mess around with it.  Would it work for CSS because I'm thinking of getting that. 

#8 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

Steam by far I get annoyed when gamespy is in games and i have yet to try GFWL

#9 Posted by Ghil (231 posts) -

Steam, by far.

#10 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

Steam... no competition lol.... and gayspy is awfull..... nothing like getting yourself ranked up nicely on a game like Battlefield 2, and then wake up next morning to find all your stats purged coz of a server issue lol

#11 Posted by marbig (90 posts) -

I've only tried GFWL, and only once. I liked it though, because I have an Xbox 360. It was cool to be able to see all my 360 stuff, and talk to my friends that were playing on 360s.

#12 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -

steam

#13 Posted by staxontoplyon (18 posts) -

Steam, too easy.  When a virus infected damn near everything on my HD I had to reformat and reinstall everything, my DVD drive was borked so I thought I'd be screwed for reinstalling HL2 for awhile, but I sign into steam and it started downloading everything I owned, pretty cool.

#14 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

Steam does about everything, I've used Gamespy before but that's pants and there's no way i'm going anywhere near LIVE.

#15 Posted by Cowman (675 posts) -

Games for Windows LIVE is premature, it has the potential to be something. Gamespy is just plain archaic. Only Steam seams to work like you'd want it. Steam has a lot more to it though, it seams that's a little unfair to compare it to other services.

#16 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Steam i think.

#17 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I think out of those Steam is the only one that will thrive on the PC and its the only one I like.

If I had things my way, I wouldn't have any of them as a *requirement* (only if you want buddy lists and chat and stuff like that) but its important in stopping piracy.

I like games that I can just start up (without any background programs like steam), click on a server browser, find a game, done.

#18 Posted by thebrassthief (70 posts) -

Steam, no contest.

I didn't know Gamespy used digital distro, and Games for Windows...does anyone use that besides the people who bought Shadowrun?

#19 Posted by Hellbizzle (11 posts) -

Steam is the natural choice for me, never had an issue with it, works perfectly for me, i dont use neither Gamespy nor GFW.

my only wish is that more major upcoming games would make it into steam, Fallout 3 or the future GTA IV release, here's hoping.
#20 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

STEAM because...

- it has a lot of older but awesome games for sale that i can't find easily in retail outlets.
- digital delivery is the way forward for both PC and Console games, STEAM is one of the best services allowing pre-loads for games hours before release.
- the community feature has allowed more clan matches and players to keep in contact easier and more organised.
- the VAC security feature is really good at keeping the hackers out and far better than what most games use.
- its free to download and use.
- auto updates your games without the need for you to go download the right patch etc.
- allows you to re-download games unlimited times which is great if you buy or have multiple PC's.
- customer support is great, if but a little slow at times.
- its owned by Valve and what they touch turns into gold :P

#21 Posted by SlimDogg (159 posts) -

Steam , by a landslide. Hamz.. those are all great points.

#22 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

STEAM...this really shouldn't be a hard question

#23 Posted by Major (506 posts) -

imo GFWL has a lot of potential but MS has their hands full with XBL.

Steam hands down.

#24 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -
mrhankey said:
"STEAM...this really shouldn't be a hard question
"
It never was a hard question.
#25 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

I still use Xfire more than Steam though.

#26 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

Only problem i have with steam is that its slow... it takes hours to install half life 2 or decrypt it rather...  I think games for windows live like someone said before, has the potential to be something good, its just not there yet....

#27 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

Steam all the way! It has a great lineup of games and a much more unique community.

#28 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Steam. Nothing beats it on PC.

#29 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Steam, no contest.

#30 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Steam Wins!

#31 Posted by Locke (330 posts) -

Steam.

#32 Posted by Jaconius (145 posts) -

Steam > GFW Live > GameSpy

#33 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

Steam is hands down the best to date but I think everyone would win if an steam implementation was done for Games For Windows.  Microsoft has the userbase and the resources to market it worldwide.

#34 Posted by Nemesis (317 posts) -

Steam hands down, I doubt anyone would say otherwise and really mean it.

#35 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

Steam hands down

#36 Posted by Jay4321 (71 posts) -

Steam, No Question

#37 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

Games for Windows Live., easily.  That being said, only a few games support it.   GWL is the best, but it feels like it lacks in content really.  Not much support.

In reality, it feels like Xfire and Steam are essentially glorified friends lists, actually just friends list, but with a selecion of patches, demos, and games to download.  Not really so much a online gaming platform thingy, but more so a gaming organizer. 

#38 Posted by Hangid (104 posts) -

Steam, for now. Gamespy is utter crap and GFWL is still in it's pre-mature days but its getting there.

#39 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

yep Steam is the only way to go

#40 Edited by Dib9394 (57 posts) -

Steam, by far.

#41 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

I remember when steam was released and it became the largest object of hatred the internet has ever seen :)

I do love it now tho

#42 Posted by blizzvalve (128 posts) -

Steam is the best there is. It's the most reliable and it's faster

#43 Posted by demonbear (1876 posts) -

Steam.

#44 Posted by pause422 (6216 posts) -

Window's Live is terrible,thats why they tried to make it more appealing by having it become free. Its not even a contest though,Steam is top and has been for a long time. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

#45 Posted by Knibbly (107 posts) -

Steam in general but GFW because I already have plenty of 360 achievements and would rather just add to that.

#46 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

I'm going to have to go with just about everyone and say Steam.

#47 Posted by GumbieuK (120 posts) -

Steam, with ease.

#48 Posted by UpMax (35 posts) -

STEAM, dont even think twice

#49 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

I would say steam, though i havent tried the other two, from what ive heard i probably wont either.

Gone back and checked out many older titles for pretty reasonable cost.

#50 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

OFF COURSE steam, microsoft trying to make the PC platform a crappy version of XBOX 360 is just wrong!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.