Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam vs. Gamespy vs. Games for Windows LIVE

• 109 results
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By JJOR64

DUDE, XFIRE IS THE BEST!!     j/k  Steam easily.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By Eisen

Steam is the best overall.  The download service is top notch as well as the overall marketplace.  The community features are quite nice as well. 

Gamespy was good during the 90s for playing Quake and Quake II back in the day, but those days are long over.  Gamespy did help bring PC gaming to where it is today, but not the current version which I find to have a terrible interface. 

Games for Windows LIVE is exactly what PC gaming shouldn't be.  It has a terribly cumbersome interface with very limited marketplace.  I honestly did not find my experience with it to be a pleasant one.  If they could have it mimic steam, then it could evolve into a better platform that puts the gamer first.  I feel while using this software that microsoft intenionally crippled it to make people want to buy games on the Xbox only.

I personally will never buy a PC game going forward unless I can get it on steam.  I am tired of disc clutter and the possibilities of damaging discs.  Also, the use of copy protection can be damaging for hardware.  I recently had a DVD drive killed from the DRM on Mass Effect.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By JoeH

You say about the DRM in disc games, but I find the Steam protection far more infuriating. Since I usually set up a couple of old PCs together in my room so me and my mates can play LAN, with games like Crysis Wars and Universe at War they have copy protection but allow LAN play for free. But with steam it's impossible to get it working LAN. 

Though I do Like The Steam download service, especially if I want to order a game on a Saturday and I don't want to wait till Monday.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By CL60

I don't see how Games for Windows LIVE is crap..the only thing I  see wrong with it is not many games use it yet.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Been on steam since 2003 and i still love it

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By phrosnite

Steam sucks, GfWL sucks too. I haven't tried gamespy so I don't know.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Brutopian said:
    " Steam all the way. It's really good stuff.Right now, I hate GFWL as much as I used to hate steam back in the 1.6 days. Which is to say with a feverish passion. "
    That 1.5 to 1.6 switch was almost unbearable to me..lol that and steam killed my computer when i first installed it...still though steam is the best
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    Steam.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By CL60

Seriously...somebody explain to me what is so super terrible about games for windows live other then not many games use it yet...because I see no problem with it at all other then that.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @CL60 said:
    " Seriously...somebody explain to me what is so super terrible about games for windows live other then not many games use it yet...because I see no problem with it at all other then that. "
    There is nothing really wrong with it...its still pretty new just have to give it a chance to grow up a little. Steam wasn't all that great when it first came out

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.