SteamTool not working on Windows 8.. Any suggestions?

#1 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

Hey duders,

So I just got windows 8 for some reason SteamTool doesn't work anymore...

It says it needs .NET framework 3.5, so I try to download and install it but every time it will search for the files, and try to download them but it says they can't be installed..

So i'll try to skip that step and it doesn't load at all...

My SSD is small so a program like SteamTool is kind of necessary, anyone know how to fix this or any other programs like SteamTool that can work?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by MB (13103 posts) -

@MethodMan008: You can do it yourself with symbolic links...all the Steam Tool program is is a GUI for sym links.

You're looking for mklink /j

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

@MB: Can you link me to a tutorial of that? Your post looks like mostly gibberish to me. :P

#4 Posted by MB (13103 posts) -

@MethodMan008: I could search Google for one and find a tutorial and link it for you...but if you can't find your own tutorial and aren't comfortable using the command prompt in Windows, maybe you should just wait and not even fool with it.

Google it and do some reading, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

@MB: Sweet, thanks dude. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#6 Posted by Toxeia (725 posts) -

Well.. try Steam Mover instead? http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Also, do it manually... it's just a glorified cut/paste.

#7 Posted by AlisterCat (5722 posts) -

I use Steam Mover.

#8 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

@Toxeia: @AlisterCat: Sweet, working perfectly. Thanks duders!

#9 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -
#10 Posted by Toxeia (725 posts) -

@Dark_Jon: The prupose of Steam Mover or Steam Tool isn't to install it to another drive. The purpose is to move the game to your SSD when you want to play it so it loads faster, and then move it back to your HDD when you're done to conserve space on the SSD (which is generally much smaller).

#11 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

@Dark_Jon: The prupose of Steam Mover or Steam Tool isn't to install it to another drive. The purpose is to move the game to your SSD when you want to play it so it loads faster, and then move it back to your HDD when you're done to conserve space on the SSD (which is generally much smaller).

that sounds like it would wear the drive down really fast if it writing the whole game to the ssd every time it loads a game.

#12 Edited by Bollard (5844 posts) -

@Dark_Jon said:

It's built into steam now.

This. Last update allows you to choose which drive games install to... This is all irrelevant.

In fact, that article is out of date. Any game you install now has a dropdown box with "Create a new Steam directory on drive X:/" in it, for all your drives.

#13 Edited by Pocky4Th3Win (139 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Toxeia said:

that sounds like it would wear the drive down really fast if it writing the whole game to the ssd every time it loads a game.

Yeah sounds like a bad idea to me. SSD have a maxium amount of writes and rewrites still and that sounds like extra strain. Hell most games don't even get that much of a performance boost from SSDs to begin with.

I just have Steam installed to a 2TB HD (1TB Platter drives) and never have an issue, hell I usually load quicker then everyone else still.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.