Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Strange overheating issue with title screens on Radeon HD 4850

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Guest

I've had this card for quite a while.  First off, I'll just say that I'm aware of the fact that it's rather routine for these cards to run quite hot.  However, there is something about it that seems really odd to me, and that is that it tends to start running really hot on, of all things, title screens.  An example of a game where it does this is Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.  If I pause it and look at the menu screen, or just leave it on the title screen, the temperature goes way up, and the fan starts whirring away.  During the actual game, even at the highest settings, not so much.

Here's the real kicker though:  It even does it on older games that an older and far less powerful machine could run just fine.  It does the same thing playing Railroad Tycoon 3 - just fine during the game, starts running really hot on the title screen.  Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I have an idea, but I never understood it completely.

First off, turn ON vsync (make absolutely sure it's on), and see if that cures your problem.  If it does, I have a theory.  These title screens are so simple, that with vsync off, your computer is rendering like 700 frames per second, which heats up your videocard (or possibly your CPU as well) in an uneven way.  I noticed this a LOT in my days of PC gaming, and crazy enough it seems to happen on Xbox 360 as well!  If you have a 360, go to the Peggle title screen and listen as your 360's fans get louder and louder and louder until you think it's going to explode!  Same thing happens to me in the Sacred 2 title screen, maybe some other games I've forgotten...

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Black_Raven

Its because your GPU is rendering the title screen at hundreds of frames per second, I've noticed the same thing as well.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    Black_Raven said:
    Its because your GPU is rendering the title screen at hundreds of frames per second, I've noticed the same thing ... [more]
    I think this guy has it right on the money.  My card actually runs hotter playing Plants vs. Zombies (I left FRAPs on by accident last week) than it does playing Empire.  It's got to be the massive frame rate difference.  I think there are ways of putting a cap on the maximum amount of frames your card will render if you're worried about it, putting vsync on isn't a bad idea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Guest

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I  kind of figured it had to be something like that, but it still seems really weird to me, mostly because I've never noticed this issue with previous graphics cards I've had.  It's possible that the reason I didn't notice was that those cards didn't already run hot in general like this one does.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.