Suggestions on a good monitor?

#1 Posted by The_Dark_Guardian (42 posts) -

I'm going to be building my own rig over the summer and plan on putting either a GTX 560 Ti or a Radeon HD6950 in it, so I was wondering.... What are some quality monitors out there with a good response time, at least 1080p (or 1920x1200), and pretty decent color accuracy(at 23"-24")? My max budget on the monitor is around $350 USD but i would like to keep it cheaper than that if possible. So any suggestions?

#2 Posted by Robinson (176 posts) -

i prefer the Lg and Samsung brands for their color reproduction and quality.  for that budget tho, you could maybe look at buying two 23 inch monitors.  i've found anything under 5ms response is good enough for gaming.

#3 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Your going to get the same responses, some ppl likes dell ips monitors, even with 5ms response time which is faster than the 5 ms of tn panels or whatever they call it. I'm going to say get samsung led or asus led if you can't find any good samsung monitors. Then some other ppl that doesn't have alot of money will say get visio.

dell ips
 http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=320-9270

samsung led
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001487&cm_re=samsung_led_monitor-_-24-001-487-_-Product

asus 27" monitor
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091

#4 Posted by CaptainCody (1525 posts) -

Mines an AOC; $200, 1920X1200, pretty good monitor for a pretty shitty tower.
#5 Posted by The_Dark_Guardian (42 posts) -

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) keep them coming though

#6 Posted by Wipeout (270 posts) -

I bought an Acer 27" LED for about $450, I'm about as happy with it as you can be without having a 46" LED TV on your desk.

#7 Edited by TheKeyboardDemon (822 posts) -

I'm not sure if you have chosen a monitor yet but thought I would add my thoughts on this. I won't name a brand but will say get a screen that is as large as possible and aim at a 16:10 ratio instead of a 16:9 screen, the difference between a 1200x1920 and 1080x1920 is not massive but it is big enough to make a difference that you will appreciate. The other thing to look for is the refresh rates, I have noticed that images look a lot better on a 120hz screen then they do on a 60hz screen, colours look more realistic and even the smallest background details carry more definition.

Lastly on your graphics card I would say go with the GTX560Ti, get the Gigabyte SOC (Super Overclock) version which is using a non-reference design, it has excellent cooling, is quiet and easily matches the performance delivered by a HD6970 or GTX570 at stock speeds.

#8 Posted by PatchRowcester (215 posts) -

This is a good option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176141

I hate the fact that 1920x1200 are so expensive and so few are available.

#9 Posted by PatchRowcester (215 posts) -
#10 Posted by PerryVandell (2110 posts) -

I got a 22 inch LG monitor for around $230 at the local Best Buy and so far it's been working pretty good. I believe it's a 1920x1080 resolution. Just make sure you have a sturdy desk because the stand it comes with isn't great for stability. It's just a little bit different than this.

#11 Posted by The_Dark_Guardian (42 posts) -
@TheKeyboardDemon said:
" I'm not sure if you have chosen a monitor yet but thought I would add my thoughts on this. I won't name a brand but will say get a screen that is as large as possible and aim at a 16:10 ratio instead of a 16:9 screen, the difference between a 1200x1920 and 1080x1920 is not massive but it is big enough to make a difference that you will appreciate. The other thing to look for is the refresh rates, I have noticed that images look a lot better on a 120hz screen then they do on a 60hz screen, colours look more realistic and even the smallest background details carry more definition.Lastly on your graphics card I would say go with the GTX560Ti, get the Gigabyte SOC (Super Overclock) version which is using a non-reference design, it has excellent cooling, is quiet and easily matches the performance delivered by a HD6970 or GTX570 at stock speeds. "
Actually the GTX560Ti, gigabyte SOC version is the exact card i have my eye on so far. I've also been looking for 1920x1200, and preferably with 120Hz refresh rate but i have yet to find a monitor with those specs.

I have yet to buy a monitor because I'm probably not going to build my system until maybe around August-ish? Thanks for the suggestions though!
#12 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Why 1920x1200? Weren't they phasing out that resolution anyway?

#13 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

Nope. No ideas.

#14 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (822 posts) -
@The_Dark_Guardian said:
"I have yet to buy a monitor because I'm probably not going to build my system until maybe around August-ish? Thanks for the suggestions though! "
NP. Just a little something that I thought might help. I'm glad you liked my ideas and think that waiting until August might be a sensible idea.
#15 Posted by StrikeALight (1115 posts) -

Love my 24"  LED  Samsung. Had it about 3 months, and its the best monitor I've owned (for gaming).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.