Super Budget Upgrade

#1 Posted by Th3irdEye (258 posts) -

So my brother has a laptop that's showing it's age. It has a 9800M GTS and an Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (3M Cache, 2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB). I have some spare parts around that I plan on using to build him a desktop that will allow him to play games at more than low settings at 10-20fps like he has been getting on newer stuff. I plan on giving him one of the two GTX 560 Ti's from my system until he can afford his own graphics card. All I really need is a Mobo+CPU to put in this little build on the cheap. I was thinking the Intel Pentium G630 Sandy Bridge and a cheap H61 Mobo like the ASRock H61M-DGS (Total: $112.98 on Newegg).

Do you guys think that this will be a considerable boost in performance from his laptop? I know the graphics card will be a huge jump but I'm not sure if the CPU will be too much of a bottleneck for it. Never dealt with a Micro ATX board either. Will it be big enough for the 560 Ti?

Oh, and as a last thought, I have a buddy that is willing to sell his ATI Radeon HD 5770 for $50. Is this a good price and would it be a good enough upgrade for my brother so that I can justify not giving up my second 560 Ti? Also, he will be using a 1366x768 resolution display if that makes any difference to your opinions. Thanks for the help!

#2 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

Yeah I think the Pentium G630 would be your best bet. I'd go for a the Asus or Gigabyte mobo over the ASRock one just because I don't really trust ASRock. Though, I have no experience with them so take that with a grain of salt. And a 5770 would be quite amazing with that monitor. It's equivalent to the GTX 460.

Edit: Oh and a micro-atx board shouldn't affect the size card you can put into it. PCI-express slots are standardized slots which means manufactuers can't change the size or compatibility. Though, you should make sure the case is micro-atx compatible as that may be a problem. But most cases are compatible to all mobo form factors.

#3 Posted by Th3irdEye (258 posts) -

Yeah, I still have to check that case that I have to make sure that it will take a mico ATX board. I'm pretty sure it will. I didn't know that the 5770 equated to a 460. Gives me a better perspective of that card considering I'm more familiar with nvidia products. I don't know about ASRock either but it had good reviews so I might give it a shot just because it is so cheap. Newegg is great with returns if it doesn't work. And yeah, I just wasnt familiar with non "i" based sandy bridge processors so I didn't know if that one was any good. I guess it's still a sandy bridge at the end of the day though so I should be good for a lower end gameing system. Thanks for the input!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.