Television/monitor for both PC and 360.

#1 Posted by B0HICAH (43 posts) -

Hello duders.

I'm a student who lives in a relatively small apartment. To save space and funds, I have decided to hook both my computer and Xbox up to the same monitor, as I never need both at the same time. Does anyone else here do this, and what do I need to look for when purchasing such a device? I'm looking for the best picture possible for both systems, and it needs to be no smaller than 26".

Do you have any specific recommendations? Thank you for your time, lovely people.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3627 posts) -

What is your budget?

Online
#3 Edited by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

@B0HICAH: I'm not understanding what you're needed done. I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to my 40'' tv., just by two hdmi port. If your PC doesn't have a hdmi port then vga will do. So I would buy a small LCD TV of you're choosing and BAM!

Edit: I'm sorry I don't think I answered your question. What type of monitor is it?

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I just use a HDMI switch like this to hook my PC, 360 and my PS3 to my computer monitor, I have all 3 hooked to my computer monitor, with 4 HDMI cables, not the cheapest solution, but its fine for me.

#5 Posted by believer258 (12182 posts) -

I have a 26" LCD TV and my PC, 360, PS2, Xbox, and Wii are all connected to it and I don't have any problems with it.

#6 Posted by B0HICAH (43 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I just use a HDMI switch like this to hook my PC, 360 and my PS3 to my computer monitor, I have all 3 hooked to my computer monitor, with 4 HDMI cables, not the cheapest solution, but its fine for me.

So you're running all 3 systems off of a single monitor with the HDMI switcher? That sounds pretty awesome.

So essentially all I would need is a monitor (say, for example, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116483&name=LCD-Monitors), the switcher, and the cables to hook it all up and it would work fine for both a 360 and a PC?

#7 Posted by hotrodcaesar (2 posts) -

@B0HICAH: I have my 360 hooked to my tv, and when i want a bigger screen, or for when my gf and i want to watch something together, I just use the hdmi port

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@B0HICAH said:

@Dagbiker said:

I just use a HDMI switch like this to hook my PC, 360 and my PS3 to my computer monitor, I have all 3 hooked to my computer monitor, with 4 HDMI cables, not the cheapest solution, but its fine for me.

So you're running all 3 systems off of a single monitor with the HDMI switcher? That sounds pretty awesome.

So essentially all I would need is a monitor (say, for example, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116483&name=LCD-Monitors), the switcher, and the cables to hook it all up and it would work fine for both a 360 and a PC?

Yah, that would do it, make sure your computer can do HDMI, otherwise you may need a converter or another graphics card.

#9 Edited by ki11tank (683 posts) -

i have a 42" led 1080 tv for my main monitor, there's nothing special you need, just make sure its true 1080p for text reading purposes. plug in your hdmi stuff and you're good, although i use a 60" and 55" led for console stuff and movies i could use 1 for all of it. if your want to use it for pc stuff i'd probably say get a good one though as the colors and stuff will be used more for a pc.

A high end panasonic or samsung i'd say, I have both and they are awesome. you also don't need a switch, just 5 hdmi ports and use the remote to change what one to read?

#10 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

@B0HICAH said:

@Dagbiker said:

I just use a HDMI switch like this to hook my PC, 360 and my PS3 to my computer monitor, I have all 3 hooked to my computer monitor, with 4 HDMI cables, not the cheapest solution, but its fine for me.

So you're running all 3 systems off of a single monitor with the HDMI switcher? That sounds pretty awesome.

So essentially all I would need is a monitor (say, for example, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116483&name=LCD-Monitors), the switcher, and the cables to hook it all up and it would work fine for both a 360 and a PC?

That would work fine. You can find HDMI cables on amazon for pretty cheap.

#11 Edited by B0HICAH (43 posts) -

Fantastic, thank you all for the quick help.

EDIT: Ok, one more issue. My 360 is actually an original model that somehow hasn't red ringed (KNOCK ON WOOD I SWEAR TO GOD) and does not have an HDMI port. I'm assuming I can just hook it up to the monitor via the component cables and bypass the switcher device entirely?

#12 Posted by Hunkulese (2874 posts) -

It's slightly smaller than you want but the Playstation 3D display is a fantastic option and pretty reasonably priced now.

#13 Posted by ki11tank (683 posts) -

yea if you got all the inputs on the tv then of course it will work. just make sure you got the right connections on the tv and make sure you don't get a piece of shit so you can actually read stuff and use the PC part without it sucking.

#14 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4486 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

It's slightly smaller than you want but the Playstation 3D display is a fantastic option and pretty reasonably priced now.

This. It's what I'm using as my monitor right and for $200 it's a great price. You can get it at Gamestop so you want to trade stuff in for it there's that. Just don't plan on watching tv and stuff cuz it only has 2 HDMI slots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.