Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

The $100 PC build Challenge!

ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ReefTrigger

This winter, I will be undertaking a monumental challenge.  I will be attempting to build a computer capable of running Starcraft II on a budget of just $100. 

Here are the rules 
     - Freebies are totally OK (i.e. spare parts lying around)
    - The PC has to meet the SCII Recommended Requirements  
    - Basically my cost < $100         

Any suggestions on parts and such?  I'm probably going with AMD at this point
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The operating system cost like a hundred dollars if you bought windows 7, if you don't pirate it. You can't even get a pc from bestbuy for a hundred dollars, maybe add another zero.  

You could just upgrade the mobo I suppose and get a new card, recycle the ram, psu if it's high enough and case. It will still cost more than a hundred dollars.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

This just reads like you're trying to beg free stuff off people.  Whatever good luck with that, I'm sure Starcraft 2 will run on xp though.   

Don't you have anything to work with? Case? Mouse? Monitor? Keyboard?   

EDIT: Your current PC can't be that bad if it can play TF2.  Why don't you just post your specs and let us see what you have to work with.  I doubt you need a whole new rig.

PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PDC_Emulator
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    " This just reads like you're trying to beg free stuff off people.  Whatever good luck with that, I'm sure Starcraft 2 will run on xp though.    Don't you have anything to work with? Case? Mouse? Monitor? Keyboard?    EDIT: Your current PC can't be that bad if it can play TF2.  Why don't you just post your specs and let us see what you have to work with.  I doubt you need a whole new rig. "
    This. You can spend $100 on any one component for a PC, let alone an entire rig.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @ReefTrigger: What do you have to work with right now?
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SSully

If you send me 100 dollars ill send you words of encouragement and belief. That's worth much more then a new rig. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

not gonna happen, unless you bought a stolen PC from some shady guys in the alley.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust

I just bought a new HDD for my mom's computer and that alone was $37, more than a third of your budget.  I think you could do it for $300 or maybe even $250, but $100?  You aren't going to actually buy much of the stuff in the build. 

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ryax

ha. building an entire PC out of $100? 

good luck with that

ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReefTrigger

Yeah, the PC is going to a friend, I myself have a fairly nice PC right now (core i7 860, 4870 etc.)
    Basically I need to come up with a mobo, graphics card, and proc for $100, because I'm pretty sure I can come up with the other stuff from the box of spare parts in the basement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ryax said:
    " ha. building an entire PC out of $100?  good luck with that "
    Let alone a computer that runs SCII recommended requirements? 

Are you fucking stupid?
    ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReefTrigger

SCII recommended spec is only like 8800, 2.4 ghz dual core.  Honestly its not that bad.

@IncredibleBulk92 said:

" This just reads like you're trying to beg free stuff off people.  Whatever good luck with that, I'm sure Starcraft 2 will run on xp though.    Don't you have anything to work with? Case? Mouse? Monitor? Keyboard?    EDIT: Your current PC can't be that bad if it can play TF2.  Why don't you just post your specs and let us see what you have to work with.  I doubt you need a whole new rig. "

What I meant by freebies was that I wont be BUYING every single component of this build, not that I want free stuff from people.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pwnasaurus

cannot be done. simple as that.

ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReefTrigger

That's what makes it a challenge dude.
     Spare parts I plan to use:
    - case
    - power supply
    - RAM
    - hard drive (wiped of course)

Stuff to buy for $100
    - mobo
    - proc
    - graphics card

With the aid of the weekly micro center add I might be able to pull this off.

SC2 Recommended specs

• Windows Vista®/Windows® 7   <- This is going to be XP because I have a license lying around somewhere
    • Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @ReefTrigger said:
    What I meant by freebies was that I wont be BUYING every single component of this build, not that I want free stuff from people. "
    Sorry mate you'll have to clarify that for me.  I didn't really mean to accuse you of begging for free stuff (although that is exactly what I said) but it seems like you've just said you don't want free stuff but you won't buy everything.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

For my money your either going to have to lift a lot out of your spares parts box or up your friends budget.  I don't think that $100 is enough to buy a dual core let alone everything else you'll need.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By EpicSteve

Does software count?

ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReefTrigger
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    " @ReefTrigger said:
    What I meant by freebies was that I wont be BUYING every single component of this build, not that I want free stuff from people. "
    Sorry mate you'll have to clarify that for me.  I didn't really mean to accuse you of begging for free stuff (although that is exactly what I said) but it seems like you've just said you don't want free stuff but you won't buy everything.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  For my money your either going to have to lift a lot out of your spares parts box or up your friends budget.  I don't think that $100 is enough to buy a dual core let alone everything else you'll need. "
    what I mean by that is I will use stuff lying around the house, so not everything will be new, but I'm not asking for donations.
     Pretty sure this weeks Microcenter ad has a special $69.99 for a Quad core AMD + free motherboard (Don't know how much of that was rebates though 
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Does software count? "
    no
    PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PDC_Emulator

You're really going to have a tough time getting what you want for $100. You also need to make sure your spare parts are even going to be compatible with the newer hardware you are purchasing. Most newer motherboards require at least DD2 RAM, and any newer video cards may require a decent power supply as well as the appropriate connectors.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Driadon
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @ReefTrigger: Oh depending on how much useful crap you have lying around you could be fine then.  I have a couple of spare things lying around but building a SC2 capable PC is still about £250 away for me.  At least.
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mrskidders

Without downloading illegal software and being a fucking scrounging bastard this is impossible.  There is no way in hell you can do it for $100.  Thats like me saying I can build a car for $100, buying some tires for $60, a new steering wheel for $40 and then getting a free car from my friend. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By meteora

Save up your money instead for a decent computer.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Or one can get a job, and purchase somehting better?... ; )

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @Marz said:
    " not gonna happen, unless you bought a stolen PC from some shady guys in the alley. "
    This is the only way possible to be able to play at recommended specs for under 100$.
    Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By Jayzz

get a job.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By nukesniper
    @ReefTrigger said:
    " Stuff to buy for $100
    - mobo
    - proc
    - graphics card   
    Pick one of those, and put in another $50, and you might be able to get one of them.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By Geno

Dude, a PS2 (10 year old console) is $100. You're going to have to shell out a bit more to play a modern PC game, even if you have some parts already. You haven't even listed out the parts so how could anyone recommend something without knowing it's compatible or not? You didn't think this through did you?

ReefTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReefTrigger
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103677  
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138111

OK I understand that this is about $90 including shipping for these two, however this is at newegg.  Micro center/frys will have better deals on regularly, but basically the only way to see those is through their ads.

I haven't listed the parts because I am not currently sitting in front of them.   But it should be sufficient to say that the Power Supply is in the neighborhood of 400W and the RAM is DDR2.  Case supports ATX.  nuff said. 

@all the people saying "get a job" thats not the point.  I have a good pc already, and am preforming this partially as a thought  experiment, and partially for a friend.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Driadon
    @ReefTrigger: I think it's mostly from people assuming the impossible/only reading the thread title. Good luck, dude, you're going to need it :P
    FusionVortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By FusionVortex

I'm not sure you can build a "gaming" PC for $100. Maximum PC has a very good $500 build (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_a_500_pc_play_crysis_40fps). In that build, there are certain things that you can downgrade (such as the video card, the motherboard, and the case), but I don't see how you can get it down to $100. Tom's hardware has a solid $300 PC (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265143-31-hardcore-budget-gaming). It's not the best, but it gets the job done. 

I'll try and get back to you, hopefully with some good info.
    atombrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By atombrain

This is totally possible. Come back in ten years to find out how!

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Evilmetal
    SC2 requirements:
    PC: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX 9.0c
    2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
    128 MB PCIe NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT or ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card or better

It could be done. Other than registering for contests....

You can check out local universities. A university local to me has a surplus store. In the past it was cheap, but the last time I checked their pricing, some months ago, they have increased the prices.

http://www.dumblittleman.com/2006/11/university-and-government-surplus.html   (this is an old posting I found it moments ago, but just to assist you. It may not list a university near you but if gives you an idea of how to search for a surplus store near you.)

These systems don't have graphics power, you'd most likely have to buy one from ebay. I saw a 6600GT 128mb for $30 with shipping.

If you are a Computer/Engineering student you may have access to free software (including the OS).
    Malika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reeftrigger: i recently buy a core 2 duo tower 1.86 ghz with 1 gb ram 80 gb sata harddrive dvd rom with an 17'' hp lcd with built in speakers monitor keyboard mouse power cables and lcd video cable in just 100 dollars

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

not worth it, and not possible anyway... even on ebay the ones that 115-149$ range still dont meet the requirements of SCII.....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.