Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

The future of performance - My thoughts, whats yours?

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DeadlyPain

What would you like too see in the future of PC performance?

The main one for me would be the Operating system not hogging all the resourses...
    My thoughts:
    Onboard RAM - no more thrashing the harddrive
    the Memory  we have at the moment should be purely for loading programs and games, 512-1GB onboard ram should be more then enough to run the OS
    All those damn services and OS background crap...if only we could use something other then the Memory and harddrive :P

and/or

2 sides to every story
    From now on - We get a choice when installing the OS - performance - quality - Performance+Security - Full install Etc etc
    Under performance the OS will only install whats needed for it too run and visa versa for the rest :P
    Vista for example - Aero << i've never fucking used this! lol - and yet it still runs in the background as dwm.exe << it might only use a small amount of ram and processing power, but adding all the other small and useless crap in the background? It all adds up....
    (Don't tell me to just switch it off - that means messing with system settings, something i should NOT be forced to do)

Now i know what your gonna say - just get x64 and 4gb of ram
    this in theory is great, but as our systems get bigger with more powerful ram, CPU and graphics - the x64 will soon be in the same situation as the x32 is now
    we all know just how fast technology is advancing - and we are going to still be disscussing performance options for years to come reguardless of how pwerfull you think x64 and 4-16GB of rams is now........
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    theres afew others, but what do you think?
    and what are your thoughts on what you would like too see in the future of performace - not just OS, but processing, gaming etc

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maru

They should do something with hard drives for sure.   We do have SATA, and RAID now, but it's basically based on  same  mechanical design that existed for long time.
    Some kind of new invention would be nice such as flash memory or something.

By the time we don't think 16 GB ram is enough I'm sure we will have something like x128 OS :),  I heard that Vista Business x64 supports over 100 GB of RAMs, but I could be wrong.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jigen

I think we'll have to move away from HDDs soon.  Data access is one of the worst bottlenecks in games these days.  I predict flash memory will become viable for mass storage before any other tech.

I think we'll also be moving away from pure rasterization in the next 5 years.  The dedicated GPU may die off as well, as people like id & Epic are saying.  Many-cored fast CPUs that are extremely flexable in programming.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By xruntime

If dedicated GPUs die out, then that could mean big things - like everyone being able to play computer games.

I predict that the GPU market isn't going anywhwere soon...the CPU market will expand to 8 cores or more....RAM will stay at 4 GB max more or less...Hard Drives will increase in size but the speed will stay the same.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By VACkillers

interesting subject... I'd like to see more innovation towards the whole GPU and how it works... everyone having different graphics cards really hurt the gaming industry for PC because developers always have to cater for all the people that dont have the best machines on the market, and having to have things compatable for this machine and that machine and this particular piece of hardware and that piece. The graphics card industry has become so insanely out of control theres so much money being made the average user will never be able to keep up, never... I think one universal graphics card would be something to benefit pretty much everyone, consoles are not as powerfull as pc's are, but under gaming platform, theres no mix/matching pieces of hardware for a developer to get the game to run semi-ok on an older machine.... think this is a serious issue and needs to be looked into very closely overall...... onboard graphics cards are absolutely fine for almost every other task that you're most likely to ever do on a PC, cept perhaps high performance video editing.

Judge_Zetsumei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Judge_Zetsumei

Flash memory based hard drives is already a reality. They're called solid state drives or SSD's for short and they cost a bomb!
    And in answer to you're x64 thing. I know this was said about vista but we'll have to take Microsoft's word on it for now, but they have said that windows 7 will use up less resources than vista. Apparently they have made lots of optimisations and even went as far as saying windows 7 will run on netbooks with 1ghz cpu's and 1gb of ram.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.