Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

The Next Generation of Graphic Cards

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrhankey

So i seem to recall that there would be close to a new generation of graphic cards every year from ATI and Nvidia. do you all think we'll get another set this year? Or will the current state of the economy cause a downturn in how quickly generations of graphics cards turn out. Personally i'd love to see Nvidia get their act together so that ATI can bring out an ATi HD5870

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

They're probably going to keep updating their old ones, graphics cards sales are already down because of the stale PC market, and they're even more down with less people needing to buy high end video cards. The current video cards can play all the most recent games on the highest graphics settings at the highest resolution. No one's really rushing out to buy another card if they've already got one made in the past year or so.

The graphics card market is also in a slight flux with the idea of hydra floating around, which will provide proper scaling to cards. This may make anything new that comes out in the near future obsolete, so companies are being cautious of investing 10's of millions of dollars into R&D for a completely new architecture while that's still a possibility (although in all likelihood either Nvidia or ATI, probably Nvidia, will just buy up the hydra tech).

Nvidia's still going to release their GTX 350 later in the year though, so there's still something for enthusiasts to get excited about.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DeadlyPain

yeah, i have a 8800 gts 512 - even plays Crysis warhead at max

more to the point im upgrading my OS to x64 and a new CPU, GPU wise its just not needed.

Nvidia and ATi won't really see any big sales until the next gen consoles come out, then once more PC gamers will be on the march to outdo consoles ;) hehe
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

There isn't a market for huge graphics games on PC anymore.  PC games are either console ports that are fairly graphically advanced but you don't need a HUGE GPU to run them, or they're PC exclusive stuff with even LOWER requirements than the console games (Valve, Blizzard, and so on).  PC game sales are down somewhat, PC hardware sales are down 20%-80% depending on the component and company in 08.  With the recession deepening, I wouldn't be surprised if they're even cutting R&D greatly.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By pause422

I doubt we'll see an entire new series this year. Probably just updated ones in the 200 series or something.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By mrhankey

I agree with all of you, it just makes me a little sad because my favorite part about pc gaming is the technology itself, but then again, this will be good for my wallet.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422
    mrhankey said:
    "I agree with all of you, it just makes me a little sad because my favorite part about pc gaming is the technology itself, but then again, this will be good for my wallet."
    heh, yeah that goes both ways. If you got the money constantly, its great when a new card comes out, but with the price they always start at its kind of a relief. I'm the kind of person that when something new like this comes out, I feel like my PC is all the sudden totally shit when it doesn't have the most updated gfx card or something at the time immediately. Bad habit for sure on the wallet. Can't ever help it though.
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By darkgoth678

well, we might want to reconsider the fact that we wont see new cards this year because we dont want to forget the iminent release of Windows 7 in Q4. if anyone is foloowing Windows 7 or has tried the Beta, they know that it brings with it DirectX11 (there is SP2 for Vista coming out along side Win7 and this will bring DX11 so getting Win7 is not required) So with this new DX we will see the release of new DirectX11 cards near the release of Windows 7. 

In my opinion I would definatley expect new cards starting the end of this year if not earlier. 

I do agree with the statements about the state of the PC market but I think it might be necessary for DX11 card to at least get out in the market somehow, perhaps even if they are worse than current high-end DX10 cards. The current companie's mind set is that the current DX10 cards can run the DX11 games but the DX11 card will run them best. 

Not to mention the scraping of OpenGL and the introduction of OpenCL.
    Omega_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Omega_X
    Open GL was NOT scraped. Open CL is a framework for general processing on a GPU, they don't do the same thing.

As for DX11, all Nvidia and ATi has to do is adjust their chips to process DX11 calls. They don't need totally new architecture to pull it off.

But somehow, I know new cards are coming because its going to be atleast 11 months before Windows 7 is on the market.
    serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By serbsta

Nothing new this year in my opinion, just a few updates on the current series.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Gunner

lol i remember reading a topic exactly like this last year. Only reverse the Nvidia part with ATI.. Ahh technology.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.