Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Thinking of making a gaming PC, but not sure for what games

pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pepperzz

Hey all. So as the title suggests, I'm leaning towards making a gaming PC. I've been a console gamer my entire life, and will still be one (mainly for co-op games), but I've been thinking about maybe playing all the single player games that I want to try out on PC since PCs are leagues above consoles at this time. The question really is though...which games would I play on the PC? Out of the games coming out in the next couple months that I would like to buy, only a few are both not co-op, and on the PC. Games that I haven't played yet would be few, such as Sleeping Dogs, Dark Souls and Dishonored.

So... would it be worth it?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

I'd wait for next gen consoles; gaming PC's are great and where I play the majority of my games, but mainly because I play a lot of games that are best on pc, strategy games / mobas / rpgs etc.; I wouldn't buy a pc speciifically to play console games, especially with next gen rapidly approaching.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jrinswand

Making the switch from consoles to PC in 2008 was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I started out with The Orange Box and now have around 200 games on Steam, and that's a conservative number compared to a lot of other people. There's no shortage of games on the PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pepperzz said:

• I've been a console gamer my entire life, and will still be one (mainly for co-op games)
    • Out of the games coming out in the next couple months that I would like to buy, only a few are both not co-op, and on the PC.
    • Games that I haven't played yet would be few, such as Sleeping Dogs, Dark Souls and Dishonored.
    • So... would it be worth it?

Given those points, no.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but given that you're not inclined to play most releases on it, and aren't looking at the back-catalogue as much as you are titles you missed during the year, paying £1,000+ for a machine seems like a complete and utter waste.

Saying that, a PC is a complete media hub, and will cover virtually all of your consumption needs.

pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pepperzz

Thanks for your responses.

Well I'm sure that there would be more games that I've missed out on that I would play (I just thought of Spec Ops: The Line as one as well). And quite a few Steam games. I'm just trying to decide if I should spend ~$1000 now, or wait until next gen and spend ~$600 (or double that if I get both new consoles). If I got a gaming PC, I also wouldn't be inclined to get a next gen console right away. It's just hard to overlook the appeal of playing nicer looking (and running, for the most part) games, for cheaper (Steam sales and the like).

At the moment I have a fairly quick Mac Mini hooked up to my TV as a media hub. So I don't think I would be using this gaming PC for any of those tasks.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xeirus

Considering the amount of money you'd spend diving in from scratch, and the console-centered gaming you seem to be into, I would say wait until next Christmas.

See what the new consoles have to offer, then make you choice. Personally I switched from consoles to the PC years and years ago and I love it endlessly, there's just so much more to take in.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

On the subject of console centered gaming, PC's are *this* close to becoming their own "console" in a way, just a far more powerful console that comes with some more responsibility and management. If you're not tied down to a single system because that's where all of your buddies are, then I'd hop straight to PC if you can simply because everything looks and performs a million times better and it's a fair bit cheaper to buy games on one. I'd wager that a computer on the high end of medium now is already more powerful than next gen consoles will be, though that's just a guess.

Anyway, I made the switch from consoles to PC's a few months ago and, while I'll still get consoles late in their cycles for all of those exclusives and stuff, I'm going to be sticking with PC for the foreseeable future and I can't help but recommend it to anyone who can, or is willing to, learn how to build and troubleshoot one. That's really the biggest caveat as far as I'm concerned - sometimes a PC has issues and you have to be prepared to find a solution. But that's only an occasional thing and most of the time it's not something particularly hard to fix.

The only reason to stick with consoles, it seems, is if you play multiplayer a whole lot with a certain group on a certain console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.