Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Thoughts on upcoming PC

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Rockdalf

No Caption Provided

I know it's hard to read, but can anyone offer advice on the gaming computer I'm trying to build.  List of currently selected parts are above, but I want to make sure it works.  If anyone wants, I can transcribe what's above and provide links.  Thoughts please...
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I would personally go with the Cooler Master CM690 II Advance as my case. 

Also, I would save a little and get a 5870 instead of the 480. 

Perfect choice for the PSU too.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rockdalf
    @sodiumCyclops:
    Hmmm, I agree with you on the cards, just switched them out in fact, but the cases are the same price on Newegg right now, and I'ma have to stay with mine.  The only thing I was a little bit worried about with the card I listed was how hot it ran and the power it used, so I'm glad to get something that's a little cooler.

Edit: And thanks!
    Edit 2: Also just swapped the 80GB SSD for a 40GB one almost $100 cheaper. 
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rockdalf

Bump!

Anymore input from anyone, before I commit $1500.00+?

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dread612
    @Rockdalf:   5870 and the 480 both seem like expensive over kill. 

What resolution are planning to play at? Whats native resolution of your monitor?
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rockdalf

1440 x 900, but I was thinking about using my 1080p HDTV as a monitor as well through HDMI and I'm not sure it's resolution.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno
    @Rockdalf: You're missing an optical drive and Windows, assuming you don't have them already.  I would say drop the SSD and get a 1-1.5TB drive as backup instead. That's a nice find on the GTX 480 though, I haven't seen one that low on Newegg. 
    ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ColMirage

1080p is 1920x1080, strong cards are required at those resolutions. However, 1400x900 is teeny, so if you aren't going to use your HDTV seriously, don't bother with cards that powerful.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Geno said:
    " @Rockdalf: You're missing an optical drive and Windows, assuming you don't have them already.  I would say drop the SSD and get a 1-1.5TB drive as backup instead. That's a nice find on the GTX 480 though, I haven't seen one that low on Newegg.  "
    They're on there just didn't list em cause I couldn't fit them with the PrtScr.  I seriously have been thinking about dropping the SSD, but I want the fast boot times.  Even though I know I won't be booting up often.  XD

@ColMirage said:
    " 1080p is 1920x1080, strong cards are required at those resolutions. However, 1400x900 is teeny, so if you aren't going to use your HDTV seriously, don't bother with cards that powerful. "

I was going to use my HDTV for gaming, as they're right next to each other, but I don't know if I'll worry about it every time.  What kind of monitor would justify the 5870?  I'm already cutting back on a few things so I might be able to swing it.
    Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dread612
    @Rockdalf: 1080p =  1920×1080

Check out some benchmarks here
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3745/nvidias-geforce-gtx-465/12

Look at the 1920x1200 charts for the various games since that resolution is close to your HDTV.
    At that resolutions the 480 and 5870 are crazy over kill. 60 FPS is the goal, but honestly anything over 30 FPS, most people can't tell the difference. Give that article a read. 

I have NVIDIA Geforce 260 core 216 and it runs most everything on max / very high settings at 1920x1080 and that card came out 2 years ago.
    ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArcLyte

AMD processors and ATi video cards play nice together

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fwylo

I agree with Geno.  The SSD is pretty useless at this point.  They are still pricey for what they are and chances are you aren't going to be carrying your tower around very often. Plus you can bump your storage like crazy as well as drop the price if you get 1-1.5T.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By captain_clayman
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " I would personally go with the Cooler Master CM690 II Advance as my case.  Also, I would save a little and get a 5870 instead of the 480.  Perfect choice for the PSU too. "
    this 

as an owner of the CM 690 II i can say that it's fucking epic.
    Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dread612
    @Rockdalf said
    I was going to use my HDTV for gaming, as they're right next to each other, but I don't know if I'll worry about it every time.  What kind of monitor would justify the 5870?  I'm already cutting back on a few things so I might be able to swing it. "
    Multiple/Spanned or monitors capable of 2560x1600 and higher would justify a 5870. A 2560x1600 monitor runs about a 1-3K.
    ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZeroRegistry

Another CM 960 II owner here, I'd definitely recommend it.  It's an excellent case, with some very nifty features.  The SATA dock on the top of the case is godsend for getting information off old hard drives without having to open the case up and install it.  

It is a smaller case than the HAF, though, so you may want to take that into account.

Also, I'd personally ditch the 480 in favor of the 5870.  Everything I've read about fermi seems to indicate that it's a furnace, and not worth whatever incremental gain you'd get over the 5870, and last I checked, the 5870 was cheaper.

Otherwise, that's a pretty solid build.   

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rockdalf
    @ZeroRegistry said:
    " Another CM 960 II owner here, I'd definitely recommend it.  It's an excellent case, with some very nifty features.  The SATA dock on the top of the case is godsend for getting information off old hard drives without having to open the case up and install it.   It is a smaller case than the HAF, though, so you may want to take that into account. Also, I'd personally ditch the 480 in favor of the 5870.  Everything I've read about fermi seems to indicate that it's a furnace, and not worth whatever incremental gain you'd get over the 5870, and last I checked, the 5870 was cheaper. Otherwise, that's a pretty solid build.    "
    Already ditched the 480 for the 5870 and I think I'm going to be ditching it as well now.  What about the Radeon HD 5850?
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rockdalf

No Caption Provided
    Here's what I got now, bar a few things not really important.  Pricing at $1,273.88.

*twitch twitch*  Not for the faint of heart.
    ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZeroRegistry

I've have two in crossfire, and they perform really well.  If you can stand to lose a few frames in crysis, I'm fairly confident one will do everything you need it to.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Rockdalf: I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but honestly dude, you don't have to fork out for Windows 7.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rockdalf
    @ZeroRegistry said:
    " I've have two in crossfire, and they perform really well.  If you can stand to lose a few frames in crysis, I'm fairly confident one will do everything you need it to. "
    Thanks, looks like I'm getting close.  I'm probably going to go ahead and grab a 1920 x 1080 monitor as well.  T.T  

Anybody in the market for a wallet?  I'm pretty sure I don't need one anymore.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Geno

GTX 480 and HD 5870 are only overkill if you're playing console ports at high settings (admittedly, this is most games out there). If you're looking at stuff like Crysis and Stalker they barely perform at playable framerates. They're only just barely enough for 60fps in more demanding games like BFBC2. Neither of them even hit 60 avg in Just Cause 2. Factor in 3D or multiple monitors, or a higher res (using either a 2560x1600 monitor or supersampling) and the frames drop even more (several times over in fact). Don't get me wrong, they're still top of the line and better than what else is currently out there (in terms of single GPU) but don't let anyone ever tell you that current technology is "overkill" when it can barely play some games even at just HD res. I say if you're going to be spending that much money, just go all the way, either GTX 480 or HD 5870 will be able to play most games at max settings with 60fps, or close to it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Rockdalf: Just get the HD5870, don't let anyone with a lesser card tell you any differently. Not every game will run at 60 frames per second, some of the more demanding games like crysis or metro 2033 could really use that card especially if you like maxed out anti aliasing. I also run games on a hdtv, it sort of cut your framerates down alot. It's not overkill, rather it's called future proofing. With a hd5850, your going to get a bit of slow downs in crysis and you can't use higher resolutions unlike the hd5870 which your set for this entire gen probally. I also think you don't need a new 1080p monitor, just use your hdtv using a hdmi cable. If that doesn't work which I doubt with that card, then a dvi to hdmi cable. I mean if your hdtv is right next to your rig and it's 1080p use that then, the 1080p rez is compatible with pc games and works very well.

Edit: it's nice to see geno giving the same advice, yeah go high and don't look back. I second that opinion, i'm probally going to get a hd5870 myself or a gtx470 in a month or two.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Geno:@HitmanAgent47:  I'm just going to bite the bullet and grab the 5870.  I'm having to order it piece by piece because of when my money is coming in, so I just placed the order for top priority stuff first (that I got the best deals for).

I did get an email ad for a combo deal of the RAM I was going to get and a little bit better mobo, but it took $75.00 off so I had to jump at it!

Anyway, just placed an order for:

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard 
      G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL 
      Acer H243Hbmid 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

and cleared just under $400.00.   I should be able to get the rest next week.
    Ceebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ceebs
    @HitmanAgent47: Agree with this 100%. If you are going to game on the system get the best card you can that makes sense within your budget. Even if it is overkill in many games you can use the extra power for higher AA levels and possibly even enabling supersampling for pristine image quality. A high end card like the 5870 will last you past whatever the next GPU generation is saving you any real need to upgrade then.   
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rockdalf

Okay, just bought the rest of m' stuff.

($89.99) CASE CM|RC-692-KKN2 ADVANCED RT 
      ($89.99) HD 1.5T|ST ST31500341AS 7K 32M % - OEM 
      ($109.99) PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
      ($59.99) MOUSE RAZER | DEATHADDER R 
      ($44.99) KEYBOARD RAZER | ARCTOSA RT 
      ($399.99) VGA XFX HD-587X-ZNFC HD5870 1GB R 
      ($159.99) CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3 
    And from Amazon:
      Intel 40 GB X25-V Value SATA II MLC Solid-State Drive - Retail Box SSDSA2MP040G2R5 

Total order price: roughly $1600.00 (including shipping, monitor, mobo, memory and Win 7 listed before, as well as an optical drive from amazon).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.