Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

To SSD, or not to SSD, the is the question.

• 53 results
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Whoops, I fucked up the spelling on to SSD or not to SSD, that is the question.  

This isn't a SSD (solid state drive) vs traditional hardrive debate, i'm just asking you what I should do tommorrow. I'm building a pc, If you asked me a few months ago whether or not SSD drives are worth it, I would of laughed because they weren't. However now that sort of changed because with mail in rebates, I can get one for just a bit over a $100 with at least 64 gigs. That's probally enough since I looked up my program folder and it's only 22 gigs after all these years.

Here is my other dilema, I was originally going to use a western digital 1TB 64mb drive and it's going to use sata 3 speeds because of the X58 mobo and it supports it. I want to know how fast is that compared to a kingston 64 gig SSD drive which isn't the fastest. I also have the faster OCZ option too, however I want the kingston drive because for me I don't have to use a rebate form. The problem is I have to make up my mind tommorrow. I was thinking, since i'm trying to future proof my pc so I don't have to upgrade for years and that windows is going to be stuck on one hardrive and a mobo, I might as well get an SSD now instead of a traditional hardrive which I might regret later on. I mean on the one hand I have more gigs with the western digital, it's enough to install a lot of games on it. Or however paying a bit more, worry about the other hardrive later when I have more cash. I mean building a new pc, I feel like i'm spending cash like it's going out of style, what is $100 more? I wouldn't ask this question if these SSD drives weren't more affordable today.

Or the third option, just invest in both, get both the kingston SSD drive even if it's not the fastest SSD drive on the market, then get a traditional hardrive. That's like less than $200, however that's alot, I could of spent it on a 2TB green drive instead for storage and use the 1TB western digital sata 3 as my main drive. I mean I wouldn't mind windows and all programs loading very quickly. However maybe this western digital at sata 3 speeds might be similar. Any advice would help, I didn't really think I was ever going to consider a SSD drive, now that I have the option to, I wish I did more research. What do you think I should do?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz
    @hedfone: Wow, I can't unsee that. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Great only pc gamers knows what i'm talking about, everyone else is like lol wut? I like consoles and I like cake. I wrote this thread for the pc section of the forum btw.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ninjakiller

No Caption Provided
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Great i'm part of a dying breed of gamers who likes things fast, higher resolution, triple the framerate and without limitations. I'm sure i'm getting a better response here than posting on tested.com where everyone is probally clueless. You realise none of this is helping me make a decision.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By T0mF5

Is there a way to combine 2 hard drives for faster performance? Is it called RAID?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat
    @HitmanAgent47:  Getting upset about it feeds the trolls. Ignore it.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @T0mF5: Not sure, however I think I saw someone said they actually used these solid state drives in raid format.
    Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Praab_NZ

Oh dear god put them away. 
    SSD's will speed up vidja game load times, windows boot time, and app loading. 
    For anything non game, it will roughly halve the loading times of apps and and windows boot time. 
    In game performance will not improve, simply load times slightly. 

In my personal opinon not worth it, more storage for less is alot more useful. 
    However, if you really enjoy windows loading in 30 seconds vs a minute to desktop then go right ahead, I'd call it an enthusiast kinda thing to get an SSD right now. 

EDIT: Also I see you are like me and are keen on the best game experience (fps, res etc), I purposefully didn't get an SSD because the benchmarks dont affect games.
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By T0mF5
    @HitmanAgent47: Do this.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Praab_NZ: What if I got a second western digital hardrive and run it at sata 3 speeds, the first drive is mostly for loading programs. Why do this? because I can. It's cheap and I might regret it later on if I don't. I don't want to move the operating system, then have to call microsoft to get a new cd key telling them i'm only using one operating system on one computer ect, or lying to them my hardrive died. I know you can't change your mobo or hardrive with the operating system without having to contact microsoft for a new cd key. I will probally get a second hardrive, or is that a waste of money?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @T0mF5: Maybe raid two western digital drives instead I suppose, that will be the same price and quite fast. However I never done that before, I don't have the experience and I hope I don't mess up the hardrive or anything.

If i'm doing that, I might as well just stick with one western digital drive, it's good enough. It's just SSD is like $100, I thought it might be a good drive.
    Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Praab_NZ

@HitmanAgent47 said:

"@Praab_NZ: What if I got a second western digital hardrive and run it at sata 3 speeds, the first drive is mostly for loading programs. Why do this? because I can. It's cheap and I might regret it later on if I don't. I don't want to move the operating system, then have to call microsoft to get a new cd key telling them i'm only using one operating system on one computer ect, or lying to them my hardrive died. I know you can't change your mobo or hardrive with the operating system without having to contact microsoft for a new cd key. I will probally get a second hardrive, or is that a waste of money? "

Getting both would be ideal, do that if you can. Sticking your OS on the SSD is a great idea, if i had the cash I would indeed do that. But yeah, only because I could, not for any particular reason. 
    Another edit: Look up RAID, you will get a decent performance bonus from RAID0, there are risks associated with striped arrays such as RAID 0 (You can loose all data across both hard drives if one breaks)
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Praab_NZ: How about future proofing, i'm sure years down the road, I wished I installed it onto a SSD drive. I'm sure i'll be very happy if I can load everything at half the time or less, that sort of joy can't be bought with money....oh wait it can.
    Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Praab_NZ
    @HitmanAgent47:
    lol, i guess thats up to you, I made the active decision that I wouldn't care about windows load times in favour of better game performance (I had a budget for my PC) and so far thats remained true.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Praab_NZ: If I installed all the games on a sata 3 western digital hardrive and all the programs on the SSD drive, it's going to be fast. Isn't sata 3, with X58 mobos for i7 cpus faster than normal hardrives? Like twice as fast? I'm not sure, I didn't research this. Might be the best of both worlds.  

Maybe i'll actually do this then I can tell other ppl how my experience went. If I don't SSD now, I might not later on, at least I can discover how it's like. I mean ppl update ram to have faster load times and speeds, or update their cpu, or overclock it. A SSD drive can do those kinds of things already. It can even speed up an old pc or laptop. Also even using raid, it might not be as fast as an SSD drive, well it might be, i'm not totally sure, however it would cost nearly the same.
    Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Praab_NZ
    @HitmanAgent47:
    SATA 6 is the new standard, and thats roughly twice as fast as SATA 3. This isn't passed through for mechanical HDD's, they are just not capable of reaching even SATA 3 max speeds. 
    But all your programs will load fast on the SSD lol. The rest of your machine's 'goodness' (e.g fast cpu) wont affect the HDD performance sadly.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

I'm still of the opinion that SSDs are mostly so unreasonably expensive and if you're going to do anything you should simply get a smallish Intel-based SSD as a boot drive and a ginormous platter-based disc for your data.  

But that totally depends on how much storage you need in that computer. If you're running multiple computers, I'd suggest getting some sort of centralized storage set up (probably a NAS) so that you have an always available repository for media files. That way you don't need to have so much storage space in each individual computer. 

If that's not the case, then I'd go with the terabyte drive and an Intel X-25 (the largest capacity you can afford). I know at one point in time they were pretty much the SSD to get, although that knowledge is probably outdated by now. I haven't been keeping up with SSD benchmarks at all since they're all way out of my price range for the storage capacity I need.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By blackbird415

I like it, they're fast. They're just way too expensive still

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Praab_NZ: Hey here is the mobo i'm going to buy this week. Is this a sata 6? it said 6gb per second. How fast will this be compared to a SSD? will it even be comparable? I haven't looked at the numbers, however SSD read and write can go up to like 270mb per second or around those speeds. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641     

Here is the hardrive, it's suppose to be a 6gig per second, does that mean it's sata 6?  
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533    
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Praab_NZ said:
    " @HitmanAgent47: lol, i guess thats up to you, I made the active decision that I wouldn't care about windows load times in favour of better game performance (I had a budget for my PC) and so far thats remained true. "
    It actually depends on the game a lot.  A competitive FPS where loads are done prior to match starting will see little to no improvement from SSD as you're waiting on the slowest client to load its data, but a game like Oblivion which loads its elements dynamically as 'cells' will see a huge improvement in performance.

There is no 1 size fits all strategy here.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By AndrewB
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Praab_NZ: Hey here is the mobo i'm going to buy this week. Is this a sata 6? it said 6gb per second. How fast will this be compared to a SSD? will it even be comparable? I haven't looked at the numbers, however SSD read and write can go up to like 270mb per second or around those speeds. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641     "

That motherboard has 2 SATA 6Gb/s and 6 3Gb/s ones. The only platter-based drives that take advantage of the increased speeds of a 6Gb/s SATA connection are multi-hundred dollar ones that run at 15,000RPM. It's future-proofing, but for right now it's totally not going to help you out much. The SSD is the way to go if you want a speedy drive.
    Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Praab_NZ

You'll find that even a game like GTA IV, which is the most intensive of thrash paging, will not benefit more than the region of a few frames.  
    Although @Seriouslynow, you are correct for oblivion and fallout 3 (Same engine). They are not coded... good. But huge performance boost? More like it doesnt stutter for about .5 of a second when you reach a new cell region.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

@AndrewB: Thanks for the info.

I was looking at reviews for the western digital black, it seems like it has a 50% failure rate. So much for wanting to buy a 6gb per second hardrive that doesn't even detect that without a firmware and it dies very quickly. That's really dissapointing.  

Look i'm not going to use the SSD drive for gaming, i'll install like one game on it, crysis and that's it. My steam folder will go in the second hardrive along with a ton of other games. Maybe I should just get a samsung spintpoint 1TB instead for like $70, or get like two of them and maybe use it in raid. Or get a another 2 tb green drive for storage, yet the first one is for games.

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Praab_NZ

Yeah, get the SSD, it looks like its the kind of performance boost you are looking for. 
    I have a spinpoint F3 and a F1 1tb and they work great. But yeah, for a regular HDD, 6gbps doesnt make any difference, SSD's are yet to max out near the SATA 6 speeds so like @AndrewB said, its more for futureproofing. 
    So you dont really need a board that has SATA 6 right now, but its a good idea to get one.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Since alot of these western digital 6 gig per second drives are failing, maybe i'll just put more money towards a better SSD drive than kingston, which is the slowest SSD drive. Maybe invest in something like OCZ instead. Or geta  bigger SSD drive, however I can't fit all my steam games on it. Maybe I will just have to install a few games at a time, finish those, then move onto the next game uninstalling those. I'll do this for a while, however I have to research another hardrive. So far all i've been using are spinpoint drives too. None of them has failed on it, it's such a failure that western digital will make such a faulty product. It's like russian roulette.   

I sure as hell won't get a segate hardrive, since most of them are unreliable.  

For that board, I need a future proof board that can suppport both sli and cross fire at 16X 2.0 speeds for my i7 950 cpu. That sata 6 feature was just a bonus.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Praab_NZ said:
    "

You'll find that even a game like GTA IV, which is the most intensive of thrash paging, will not benefit more than the region of a few frames.  
    Although @Seriouslynow, you are correct for oblivion and fallout 3 (Same engine). They are not coded... good. But huge performance boost? More like it doesnt stutter for about .5 of a second when you reach a new cell region.

"
    They are coded just fine.  Show me a better streaming strategy which is tracking as much AI and physics in realtime and not just faking it as engines like GTA IV's, Crysis's and Far Cry 2's.  There's a reason why those games are populated with constantly respawning personality free AI while Bethsoft's games have more complex data to track.  Please do more than pull numbers from your ass.
    Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Praab_NZ

@SeriouslyNow: 

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R xray engine, while not quite the same deal (It loads one levels geometry at a time, streaming non AI details as you approach them), it still tracks all the data for all the NPCs, environmental effects, anomaly changes, etc etc all in real time all across the parts of the zone. I see no stuttering in that game. 
    But dude, calm down, I didnt pull any numbers from anywhere, If i say 'about' it means I have no idea about the actual load times and am simply guessing based on my experience.  
    I dont profess an understanding in the specifics of fallout 3 game code, but theres no way it can be complex enough to run badly (Stutter) on my system without them doing something wrong. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47

* Maximum sequential read speed 285MB/second

* Maximum sequential write speed 275MB/second

Wow, that's the cosair's SSD drive, that's like 100mb faster than the kingston SSD drive i'm going to buy. Maybe I should invest in more, however it seems 60, or 64 gigs are now cheaper these days and probally enough for me to work with all my programs. Still i'm seriously thinking about an OCZ SSD drive, it's a bit more, however it's so much faster.

Having said that, I still need another 1TB hardrive. I don't trust western digital enough, maybe I shouldn't care about the sata 6 feature yet, however in the future when those drives are cheaper and reliable, i'll consider it as a second hardrive. I still need a hardrive for games, I mean my last 500 gig spinpoint isn't even enough for my steam games, I had to uninstall like alot of games these days. I have no more room to install new games, so it's good I move onto a newer and better platform. I'm going with the samsung spinpoint 1TB, if anyone else has a suggestion for my second hardrive, let me know. I am going to make a decision and start to buy some of these stuff tommorrow with a bunch of cash. I'm also picking up the antec 900, so I save gas money by buying more stuff in one day. Or maybe I can hold off on buying a new hardrive, just buy the damn SSD drive and use it for a while installing few games as possible. I wish there wasn't that installation limit things for DRM, makes reinstalling games annoying.

The_Boots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Boots

I just got my first ssd system (new laptop) two weeks ago, and if you get one, you risk ruining your patience with any non-ssd system. For gaming, it's better on anything that uses streaming loading of stuff, e.g. less stutter when the game has to load things.
    The place that it has totally changed my expectations of performance is in simple responsiveness. You click a program and it just... opens. No lag while the drive spins up, no rotational latency, it just GOES. It might sound like a small thing, but my desktop still uses an Hd and there's just no comparison in day-to-day use. If all you care about is holding tons of games, you could probably skip it... But if you care about having a buttery smooth and lightning fast system in general, I swear you won't regret getting a decent ssd. If you can spring for a hard drive for media storage, all the better. Get a cheap reliable Hd and spend the cash on an ssd big enough for your OS and program files. Seriously, it's worth it if you have the money.

The_Boots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Boots

It's a custom raid0 Sony setup. Comes standard with the laptop. Which is actually a bit annoying, since it makes it nearly impossible to upgrade. If I were you, I'd either get a crucial c300, or something based of a sandforce controller, like an ocz agility 2.
    Just ran a quick benchmark and under the ideal circumstances you'll see in spec sheets, I was getting 300mb/s sequential read, and 280 mb/s sequential writes on my laptop.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HS21
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

The only benefit you'll really see is in load times (which, admittedly, is nice - as are the three second Dragon Age II load times). You have to decide if that's worth the price for you. Remember that you'll need a good 10% of the drive space to remain free before drive performance will degrade. And if you're running Windows (ugh) 7, you'll be looking at maybe 9gb used there. So with a 64gb drive, you'll have about 45gb of usable space. That won't get you far with something like Steam. I have a 120gb drive and I have to be selective about what I do with it. A decent 120gb drive will cost you about $300.  

For most people, I'd just advise that they hold off a little longer. Prices will continue to come fairly rapidly in the next year or two and the average user can put that money to better use, elsewhere (such as RAM or your video card). Having almost instant data load times is great, but if you can wait an extra ten seconds here and there, using the cash to help boost things that will increase your overall experience will benefit you more. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Branthog: Money is not an issue, i'm already going to get really powerful components of today, not the best, however good enough. I don't mind buying a second spinpoint for my steam account instead or other boxed pc games, i'll only install like a few games on SSD like crysis to try. I'll only install games I get in a box, not steam games. My last programs folder in my current bottlenecked pc is only 22 gigs, so I think 60-64 gigs is plenty for only programs.  

I am already going to run two gtx 460 1gb, a gigabyte and an evga card in sli, it will go past two HD5870 in crossfire because this card scales well. Ram will be triple channel memory at 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 and the processor is an i7 950 with a H50 watercooling device. I choose that because it's going to fit in the antec 900 and not block the cpu slot by it's overly big radiator like the H70. I'm going to add another tricool fan on in to create a push pull configuration and try to overclock it to 4.0Ghz, or 3.8Ghz yet controlling the noise. So really about spending more money towards my system, there really isn't much more I can upgrade, not a 6 core cpu which is a grand, or more ram because I don't need it. This set of videocards can last me a few years, it will probally play crysis well enough since it's like more powerful than a gtx 480 at a lower cost. I think an SSD drive can speed up my system more than spending other 6 gigs of ram.

For the thread, one thing about these SSD drives are according to wiki is that over time they start to degrade in performance. I don't think that really matters considering how fast these things are. I just hope a few years later, it doesn't eventually die because my operating system is tied to it. I rather use this than a spinpoint hardrive as the main drive my operating system will be tied to for many years. That's going as a second hardrive, might add another western digital 2tb green drive later on as a storage drive, hopefully it's not loud and stuff. I've been googling alot of articles and it does fail, there is a higher failurerate than traditional hardrives, so it's something I have to consider.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47:  
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MeierTheRed

I really want a SSD for my boot drive on both my PC and my Mac, but the price tag on SSD's is still a bit insane, at least if you want a quality SSD drive that wont crap out after a short life span.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

From what I understand the best and cheapest way now is to get a relatively small SSD say 50 gigs or so, then get a larger traditional platter hard drive, you use the SSD for all important programs, and the platter based drive for files and such.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I caved in and bought it. It was only $104 which is a steal, everywhere else it's like $140. Sure it's the slowest of all SSD drives around this size, however it seems reliable because there weren't many reviews that said it was defective. Also I don't want to wear out the drive too quickly by having such fast read speeds. Sometimes other drives doesn't bench as well, they exagerated their numbers, however it's faster than any other traditional hardrive out there.

I'm not going to open it, I just want to buy one for now and if there are better deals in a week, i'll exchange it.

compared to a mouse
    compared to a mouse

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Praab_NZ

Great, maybe you could post your experience with it if you choose to use it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Praab_NZ: Yeah for sure, i'll be using an SSD as my main drive regardless of if I refunded it or not because i'll just get another one. However I still need to get the mobo and ram, also a new cpu cooler, windows 7 before I can test it out. I'm sure windows will load half the time and programs will load instantly as i've been reading with alot of reviews. So it might take a week or less to locate the rest of the stuff at the best price then i'll put it together and i'll share my impressions of it. I'll just reply to you again so you will know it's done later on.
    The_Boots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Boots

Performance degradation is an issue if you are using a drive/OS without TRIM support. Seeing as you're running Win7 with a modern SSD, degradation shouldn't be a big problem. The issue as I understand it is that when a piece of data is "deleted", the space it was taking up cannot be overwritten unless the prior data is actually cleared. Thus, the SSD has a fair amount more housekeeping to do than a magnetic drive. Since the OS doesn't really tell the drive when a file is deleted and the space is once again open, the drive can't clean and prepare the memory ahead of time. The TRIM command allows the SSD to perform a lot of the housekeeping on it's own. Good article here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2865

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @The_Boots: I'll be asking you a question or to anyone on this forum who knows. Well i'm glad the kingston drive I bought does support TRIM, so that would take care of the problem which should last me a while. However I found the write speed is only like 50mb per second through benchmarks. Of course they might advertise it being much higher, most other SSD around the same range in benchmarks is only 60mb per second or slightly higher, other benchmarks it does go high. Is that going to affect me?  

Also someone for reviews said when they tried the kingston 128gig SSD drive, it stuttered because SSD doesn't have a cache, it either stutters constantly or stutters ever 30. I wonder will that be true of other faster SSD drives with a faster write speed. I mean for $104, I can't really complain, it's the cheapest price for 64gigs on the market. I'll be happy if all programs runs fast enough and opens windows at half the time. Everything else around this price range is like $40 more.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Cached SSD via SATA2 interface is older tech.  What you really want for proper, full bandwidth saturation and performance, is a PCIe card SSD with a Sandforce controller.  Super expensive at the moment, but the real future of SSD until USB 3 SSD solutions come into play.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By meteora

SSDs are too unreasonably expensive for their price and lack of space. The only reason why you might want to use a SSD is for only the OS and maybe a few other programs; but even then you need to put down about $100. 

I'd wait until the price goes down.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Meteora: Yeah but I have to put an operating system on a hardrive, no way i'm using a slow traditional hardrive or a loud western digital drive that's unreliable with false advertisement for running 6gb per second when it really doesn't. Besides my new rig will be tied to this hardrive and operating system, it might as well be fast enough. My second traditional hardrive will take care of the games with a 1tb hd.
    Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Devildoll
    @HitmanAgent47:  the WD drive isnt using false advertisement , you just need to understand what everything means , and in what context.

sata 6 is a new standard , and if you made a harddrive that supported that new standard , id think you'd want to brag about it , but yeah clueless people ( people who have never bought hardware before ) will think that the new standard must mean a performance increase. and that since its twice the gbps on the standard , they probably think the drive would have twice the performance.

and also , sandforce 2 ssd's are the currently amongst the best ssd's on the market , at doing what ssd's do best

you dont buy an ssd for high large-file troughput , aka MB/s

the reason you buy an ssd is cause of the almost nonexistent  access times and lightning fast small file read/write speeds.   

also , ive used 2 WD black 640 gigers in raid for over a year now , reading your posts are the first ive heard anything about black series being unreliable
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Branthog
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Branthog: Money is not an issue, i'm already going to get really powerful components of today, not the best, however good enough. I don't mind buying a second spinpoint for my steam account instead or other boxed pc games, i'll only install like a few games on SSD like crysis to try. I'll only install games I get in a box, not steam games.  
        Whatever is on the SSD will load faster, but not content that lives on non-SSD drives. Of course, what you probably care far more about is the performance of the games themselves which are not dependent on the SSD. The load times (when you start a game or load a new level) will improve, but there shouldn't be any considerable different while actually playing the game. And in that case, sticking your OS on an SSD will give you a general improvement even if your actual content is elsewhere. And as you point out, you don't have that much installed at any one time, so you should be okay even with a smaller drive.
    SSD drive can speed up my system more than spending other 6 gigs of ram.   For the thread, one thing about these SSD drives are according to wiki is that over time they start to degrade in performance. I don't think that really matters considering how fast these things are.  
        Performance will degrade if too much space is consumed. You usually want to keep a minimum of 10% of the drive free. Most current SSDs should support TRIM (and Windows 7, which I presume you're using if you're gaming, supports TRIM for SSDs) which eliminate most of the accrued performance problems. 

The other problem often discussed is "wear and tear". That is, flash is only rated for a certain number of writes, before it'll die. Good current SSDs use sophisticated algorithms to  spread the wear and tear across the drive, however. And they also reserve some extra space so that when blocks croak, they're replaced with other ones.  

The life span of an SSD can be expected to be as good as a mechanical drive. Especially since you're likely to upgrade your drive or your entire system long before the life-time of that SSD has passed. Just be sure you read up and make sure your drive does support TRIM -- and don't run defrag, since that wears down the drives with zero benefit.
      I just hope a few years later, it doesn't eventually die because my operating system is tied to it. I rather use this than a spinpoint hardrive as the main drive my operating system will be tied to for many years. That's going as a second hardrive, might add another western digital 2tb green drive later on as a storage drive, hopefully it's not loud and stuff. I've been googling alot of articles and it does fail, there is a higher failurerate than traditional hardrives, so it's something I have to consider. "
    The WD Green drives are fine, though they do have plenty of reported problems at the 2tb mark. All modern operating systems (Linux, OS 10.6+, Windows 7) support the 4k sectors of the 2tb drives out of the box, but people have encountered various stability issues peculiar to some OSes and dependent on how the drive is used and implemented. You definitely don't want to use them in a RAID setup, due to the power-saving features which slow down response times. Just using them as storage for data should be fine, though. Of course, you should always have your vital data backed up (which means MORE THAN ONE COPY ON MORE THAN ONE DEVICE!) so if your WD does go tits-up, you'll still be okay. 

I've had miserable experiences with the 2tb drives (after using WD Greens for ages with great success up to and through the 1.5tb drives), until I bought a recent batch of them to stick in my Drobos (eight 2tb drives). They have behaved very well in these devices for the last two months. Data Robotics (manufacturer of Drobo) also recommend and sell them for their storage device and I don't think they'd do that if they were too prone to catastrophe. Based on my experience with the recent batch, I suspect that they may have made some unannounced improvements. Others seem to be having better experiences, too. 

Seagate and Hitachi also make decent 2tb drives for around the same price. I don't think they have any of the same issues reported, but they also might be louder and warmer (I'm not sure if they are "energy efficient" like the WD Green supposedly is). 

If you buy WD Greens, I would advise doing so through a place like Amazon where you should have a thirty day return/refund policy. As soon as you get them installed, test the hell out of them. Use some drive testing utilities. Move and rename massive quantities of data. Delete it. Undelete it. Move it to another drive and back again. Have several copy/move/deletes going on simultaneously, etc. If it works fine, awesome. If you encounter some show-stopping incidents, pack them back up and return them to Amazon for a refund. Newegg should also have the same policy, but I haven't used them for drives since Amazon started matching their prices. 

Good luck. Hopefully you'll be blown away by your SSD experience. It's definitely an improvement over the past and it'll be great when we all have massive multi-terabyte affordable SSDs in our systems!
    GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GiveUpNed

My friend works for a retailer. He is part of something called the "Intel Edge Rewards Program." He gets points on the products he sells in store and that point translates to tiers where he can get products for cheap. He got a 80gig SSD card for $120. He has placed Windows 7, Photoshop, Audition, Premier, FL Studio, etc on the SSD and he has been really happy. Photoshop and Win7 load and run extremely fast. It's very nice. 

mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mclakers

I got an Intel 80gb SSD and installed win7 64 bit, a 1tb WD Caviar black sata 6, and trust me, its worth every single penny i spent.  Speed, load times, frame rate. AMAZING. 

i7 930 OC 4ghz
    gee-force 465 oc
    6gb ram
    asus mb with  p6x58d-e i think 
    and v6gt aircooler i forget the MF
    samsung syncmaster px3770 monitor

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.