Trying to remember a possible indie horror survival game. Help?

Posted by RobbieRageX (15 posts) -

I've been trying to remember this game for awhile now. I think I might have first seen it one of Anthony Burch's RevRants for Destructoid or maybe from Adam Sessler's Soapbox webseries on g4tv.com or from him talking about it on X-Play on G4TV. But okay here's what I remember...

-You are in a town. (1900's ish maybe)

-You are running from all the townspeople who are chasing you. So you are jumping from one building to another

-There is a lot of locking doors with Amnesia:DD-like physics and you moving furniture in front of doors as the people chase you

-Very sure that it is a PC game

-Came out years ago so it isnt new

Does anyone know of this?

#1 Posted by RobbieRageX (15 posts) -

I've been trying to remember this game for awhile now. I think I might have first seen it one of Anthony Burch's RevRants for Destructoid or maybe from Adam Sessler's Soapbox webseries on g4tv.com or from him talking about it on X-Play on G4TV. But okay here's what I remember...

-You are in a town. (1900's ish maybe)

-You are running from all the townspeople who are chasing you. So you are jumping from one building to another

-There is a lot of locking doors with Amnesia:DD-like physics and you moving furniture in front of doors as the people chase you

-Very sure that it is a PC game

-Came out years ago so it isnt new

Does anyone know of this?

#2 Edited by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

That sounds like Dark Corners of the Earth. It wasn't so much an indie game, but, everything else fits, and it has a PC and Xbox version. Though the PC version is pretty severely broken in a couple of spots, but it is really good.

Edit: Figured I'd add a video of what is probably the part of the gameplay that you're thinking of/remembering (if it is the same game. warning, it probably contains some amount of spoilers, so if you think it might be the game without watching it, and want to see/experience it on your own for the first time, I suggest not watching it. But, if you're still unsure if that's the game after looking at the Wiki, this would probably be the scene that tells you for sure if it's the same game or not.)

#3 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I never played them myself, but for some reason that description made me think of that planned series of Blair Witch Project games from back when that movie first came out. Can't recall if they ever released them or if I just remembered seeing previews of it on Electric Playground.

EDIT: Yup, looks like they did make em after all. And they are on PC too.

#4 Edited by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (559 posts) -

Yup, definitely sounds like Call of Cthulu. It's one of the most atmospheric horror games ever made IMO. Though it does get insanely difficult with lots of trial and error sections that will make you crazy because of the archaic save system. I highly recommend the Xbox version (as FateOfNever pointed out the PC version is way broken) even with all of it's flaws because there really isn't anything else quite like it. If you're interested, the Rebel FM guys did a series of podcastsdetailing their playthrough of the game. You might want to skip it if you plan to play through it as there are tons of spoilers.

#5 Posted by RobbieRageX (15 posts) -

THATS IT! Call of Cthulu. This makes me so friggin happy you don't even know. Thanks guys!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.