Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Turtle Beach Micro 2 and Tritton 720+ Headset

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By mordecaix7

I bought a Tritton 720+ headset and am looking to hook it up to my PC to get surround sound. After testing the headset (I'm new to headsets and surround sound) I see that for the headset to output the dolby digital signal, it has to receive one. Otherwise, it uses ProLogic II to make an "expanded stereo" effect. So I need to get my PC to output a dolby digital 5.1 signal.

I found that Turtle Beach makes something called the Micro II that allows a usb port to convert to an optical out and output Dolby Digital 5.1 signal.

My question is, has anyone used the Micro II with success? If not, is there another recommended method that I could follow to have my PC output a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal?

Thanks!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@mordecaix7: I had the same problem when I got my PX5, I ended up getting a used Creative sound card with a Digital out and Dolby Digital codec. The way your talking about sounds alot cheaper and less installing drivers. Not sure if that thing actually gives you true Dolby Digital or just the same deal as Pro Logic II

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

Doesn't your Motherboard have a S/PDIF port or whatever? I have 2 on my PC and I have no use for either.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordecaix7

@AlexW00d said:

Doesn't your Motherboard have a S/PDIF port or whatever? I have 2 on my PC and I have no use for either.

I don't think it does. I'm gaming on an old Optiplex 745 so I don't think it has the S/PDIF port. I did a search for specs on my pc this morning (not at home right now) and didn't see anything about the proper port. I would imagine though, even if I had the proper port, I'd still have to have the PC output a 5.1 signal through that port. Otherwise I'd still end up with the expanded stereo effect.

Technically, I have the headset hooked up to my PC through my TV (TV has optical out with 5.1 pass through meaning the Xbox and PS3 push the DD signal through to the TV) but since the PC is only pushing a normal stereo signal through a 3.5mm jack, the headset is just doing Pro Logic II on the PC audio.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Bollard

@AlexW00d said:

If he's using it for games it doesn't matter even if he does. Games can't output Dolby Digital (at least over optical) so you need an audio card to get surround sound.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

@Chavtheworld said:

@AlexW00d said:

If he's using it for games it doesn't matter even if he does. Games can't output Dolby Digital (at least over optical) so you need an audio card to get surround sound.

Huh, what's the point in supposed gaming headsets using it then? Either way, as long as the game has decent sound, stereo is all anyone ever needs anyway. FOOTSTEPS.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Bollard

@AlexW00d said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@AlexW00d said:

Huh, what's the point in supposed gaming headsets using it then? Either way, as long as the game has decent sound, stereo is all anyone ever needs anyway. FOOTSTEPS.

Headsets that use USB usually have a built in soundcard for it I think. Don't know otherwise. It's been ages since I looked this all up cause I was so confused why I was only getting stereo over optical on my 5.1 Panasonic Home Theatre thing.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordecaix7

Ok, so I picked up the Turtle Beach Micro II and I was incorrect in what it's function was. From my research, I thought it would output a 5.1 signal when you installed the special drivers from their website. In reality, it simply allows a 5.1 connection to pass through with the drivers. The key being I have to have something that actually makes 5.1 sound to pass through the usb dongle.

As said, I'll need to get a sound card. One that does Dolby Digital Live processing.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@mordecaix7: just grab a 2nd hand one, the only function I really use the sound card for is the Dolby Digital Live, I got a Creative X-Fi Titanium for quite cheap, comes with heaps of apps but I did a custom installation and only picked dolby\dts codecs, audio drivers and creative console launcher as that is all you need.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.