Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Updating my CPU and Graphics Card, any recommendations?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fetchfox

I've had a good run with my current card and cpu, but I'm thinking of updating.

Current CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k

Current Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 570

So far I haven't thought of what cpu I might get, but for a new card I'm looking at the MSI GeForce GTX 780. So, any recommendations? I'll post my full specs later when I'm back home.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just get the 780 to begin with, your 2500k shouldnt be an issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was looking to upgrade from a 560ti but I'll be waiting for the 800 series even though it sounds like they might be delayed.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@fetchfox From the looks of it, if you're planning to get a new CPU you might have to change the motherboard as well. For the most part, you don't need to upgrade your CPU so getting a new GPU might have to be your priority. Also another very important note: what's your budget?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

570 is a good card still, so anything less than a 780 might not be really worth it. Even still, the cost of a 780 might not be worth it. Speaking as someone with limited funds. I'd wait for a specific reason to upgrade, like if the 8 series can do something your 570 can't.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: My CPU is i5-2500K (3.3 GHz) and my motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3. If I want to update my CPU is it sufficient?

My budget is around the price of a new console. I also live on Norway so prices are a lot higher.

@devildoll Mkei, thanks.

I might wait altogether, I just wanted some input.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By FakeKisser

I think your CPU could last a bit longer, especially if you overclock a bit... Definitely get the 780, because anything less isn't giving you enough return over your 570, in my opinion. The 780 should last quite a while, especially if you SLI in a year or two.

I am building a new PC this week and got a mildly overclocked MSI GTX 780 and an i7 4770, because I had a first-gen i5 that couldn't be stretched any further.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought an entirely new system that has a MSI GTX780 OC in it and I'm thrilled with it. Great performance all around.

That said, if I were in your position and was upgrading, I'd be more tempted to wait for the 800 series. Depends if you can hold out or not, I guess.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fakekisser: Ok, thanks. I'll look into it.

@tehpickle: I'm thinking of waiting, so maybe. I could at least get the 780 at a lower price then.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fetchfox:

Hah, you've got what I've got.

I'm defo upgrading to an i7, when I do upgrade.

The 800 series of cards looks to be really nice, an 870 or 880 would be a hefty jump in performance over the 570. Although, as @tehpickle mentioned above, you are in for a bit more of a wait (maybe even into 2015 according to this).

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fetchfox: From the performance I've had with my 780 so far (everything running +60 FPS on max settings on a native 1080 TV) , I honestly don't think there's a huge amount of reason to wait for the 800's personally. I'm pretty sure that this card will last for years, unless there's a massive leap in tech / games graphics on the horizon, which I very much doubt.

The way I look at it: most companies are worrying about the cost of making nice looking games on the current consoles, and they dont seem to come close to scratching what this PC does as a matter of course. The chance of a game being released in the next few years that will have sub-satisfactory performance issues for me is very very low, with the exception of perhaps a Crysis or Witcher 4 or something, but using a currently non-existent game as an excuse to wait would be kinda crazy.

When it comes down to it, when the 800's release, there'll always be people recommending you wait for the 900's. The cycle never ends unless you put your foot down.

Either way, whatever you do, your PC will be kickass afterwards. Happy shopping :)

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EXTomar

The best thing about the 800 series is that it starts to "discount" the 700 series of cards. A 780 is a nice card and plenty fast for a few years even today.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: Cool mate, brothers in, uh, PC parts! Yeah! @tehpickle I'm most likely gonna go for the 700 series when the 800 series comes out. Luckily I've got some self control to stop myself from buying the best new shit ;)

@extomar Yup! Just what I'm betting on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.