Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Upgrade Help

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By time allen

Earlier this year, I built my first rig. Admittedly, it was on a shoestring budget, so I did have to cut some corners. Now that I have a little (I stress: a little :P) bit of extra cash floating around, I'm stuck wondering which component should be upgraded, as I've noticed quite a few games hitting slow downs.

Rig is as follows:

Asus P45XE mobo
    Pentium Dual Core E6300 - 2.80GHz
    XFX GeForce 9800GT 512MB
    4GB of RAM
    (placeholder in case I have forgotten something)

Initially I gravitated towards a CPU upgrade, but I'd rather multitudinous opinions before I go through with it.

I can play games such as Mirror's Edge, Crysis, Mass Effect 2 etc. at perfectly playable 45-60fps (1280x1024 on a crt monitor. Seems to fit the monitor the best), but they all do drop to a very unpleasant 25-27fps occasionally. Keep in mind that I'm probably only going to be able to upgrade one component. Just point me in the right direction and I'll figure something out from there. :P

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well, the first thing you can do is to use your hdtv that's 1080p, upgrade your monitor because a crt is trash by today's standards. You can also save money by overclocking the cpu and getting a heatsink for it. Lastly I suppose the videocard is just a rebranded 8800GT. You can always upgrade that if you want.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By time allen
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Well, the first thing you can do is to use your hdtv that's 1080p, upgrade your monitor because a crt is trash by today's standards. You can also save money by overclocking the cpu and getting a heatsink for it. Lastly I suppose the videocard is just a rebranded 8800GT. You can always upgrade that if you want.

"
    Thanks for the advice, but I have no plans of ever replacing my CRT. :)
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Toms115: You have a 1080p hdtv? Your not going to stress that videocard with such a meager display that's not even widescreen, so you don't need to upgrade because your not going to get anything out of it. You could overclock that cpu, it will give you a few more frames.
    PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PDC_Emulator

I'd say it would be a toss up between your video card or your CPU. Or you could really splurge and go for an SSD. They're a great investment, and you'll definitely a large increase in performance. However SSD's are still a bit pricy, so it would depend on what your budget is.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I just thought of this, how about overclocking that videocard of yours, it's free and it will give you a few more frames. Yet it will produce alot of heat because that videocard has a very lousy heatsink, however that's another option. I mean you were going to upgrade a component anyways and maybe that would help with the slowdowns. 

Lol crt monitor, that's so year 2000 and before.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defaulttag
    @PDC_Emulator: SSD's? Isn't that just going to make load times better, not framerates for games? I could just be misinformed. they're basically very fast hard drives, right?
    @Toms115:
    I would go with upgrading the video card and overclocking the CPU
    PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PDC_Emulator
    @defaulttag:  Correct, when I said "increase in performance" I was leaning towards hard drive performance (booting windows, load times etc..).
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Dark_Jon

I agree with upgrading your processor. A lot of games are more CPU dependent.

ka_tet19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ka_tet19
    @Dark_Jon said:

" I agree with upgrading your processor. A lot of games are more CPU dependent. "

I agree with Dark_Jon, I have an 8800 and haven't had issues with those games you are talking about. Bottlenecks are occurring more and more at the CPU rather than the GPU, and your dual core at 2.8 GHZ, which is ok, but for pretty cheap you can get a decent dual core with higher GHZ (and like other mentioned invest in a heatsink and OC for further results).  

EDIT: Good reading material about the topic  http://www.benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/CPU%20Bottleneck%20Analysis/P2.html
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'd recommend a new GPU over a new CPU. 

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By time allen

looks like it's a cpu upgrade then, i suppose. i'll probably upgrade my gpu further down the line. thanks guys.

edit: i'll try overclocking my gpu. i have a few other cooling sources lying around somewhere, anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I have a 4850, and a 3.8 ghz 965 in my pc, which used to be an amd 4000+ 2.4 ghz single core. 

My point here is I think you just have a bandwidth bottleneck on your video card.  Take a look at benches and see how the 9800 compares to the 4850, but I am getting no issues running anything with a 1920x1080 monitor.  I would suggest you buy a new 5 series card, or save up until september/october for the 6 series from AMD. 

Keep an eye out for the coming weeks, nvidias new surround view stuff is going to force amd to actually do the fermi price drop, and I am guessing it will be time to grab yourself a 5830/5770.  I think in this case it would be best to wait until you can afford to get a faster CPU (at least 3.2 GHz) or get a newer video card.   

Just to note, make sure on your driver you have everything updated, and set to "use in game settings".  On my ati card I turn off catalysts AI and run everything in game, getting better looking AA and ~5-10 avg fps higher with catalyst AI disabled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.