Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Upgrade or buy a new PC?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

My current specs are -

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 500 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

And some crappy Motherboard. I want to upgrade, should I just buy a new case, motherboard, GPU and Ram?

Here is what I want to upgrade to - 

Dual 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 - SLI® Enabled
      12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 4GB) Tri Channel Memory  

And could someone recommed a new motherboard and RAM? And could you also rate the above GPU and RAM and tell me if they are good choices.

Thanks.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Yukoei

Oh and forgot about the Hard Drive, and recommend a new one?

I also live in Aus so no US stores to buy the things from, websites only please =)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Yukoei: You're planning on buying 2 GTX 295s?
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By CoverlessTech

Dude, I hope you got the cash if your building around that GPU and RAM. You'll be looking at a ~$300 Mobo, ~150 PSU, ~$400 CPU. 

Rate the GPU and RAM? You didn't even list RAM, only that you want way to much of it, what exactly do you plan on doing with 12 GBs of RAM? Also the GPU is probably overkill.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Your CPU is perfectly fine for now, and should be good for a few more years at least.
    RAM might use an upgrade, but 3GB is OK for now, you don't need 12GB of RAM unless you're doing production work, video or 3D professional work.  6GB will be fine.
    The videocard is a waste of money, if you're so intent on having the highest end GPU at least get ATI's latest offering.  Better yet wait until Nvidia's next GPU line is out and don't buy the highest end.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CoverlessTech
    @Diamond said:
    " Your CPU is perfectly fine for now, and should be good for a few more years at least. RAM might use an upgrade, but 3GB is OK for now, you don't need 12GB of RAM unless you're doing production work, video or 3D professional work.  6GB will be fine. The videocard is a waste of money, if you're so intent on having the highest end GPU at least get ATI's latest offering.  Better yet wait until Nvidia's next GPU line is out and don't buy the highest end. "
    If he is getting a dual 295 that CPU he has is going to bottleneck his system. Plus his PSU and Mobo may not even be compatible with the 295 so he would probably have to update his Mobo anyways and if he is going to do that he might as well get a good CPU.

And as for waiting for the "next best thing", you might as well not buy anything as there is always a "next best thing" coming in about 6 months.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @CoverlessTech said:
    If he is getting a dual 295 that CPU he has is going to bottleneck his system. Plus his PSU and Mobo may not even be compatible with the 295 so he would probably have to update his Mobo anyways and if he is going to do that he might as well get a good CPU.  And as for waiting for the "next best thing", you might as well not buy anything as there is always a "next best thing" coming in about 6 months. "
    It depends on the game, but CPU bottlenecking doesn't become a true 'bottleneck' unless in extreme conditions.  Sure in some games he'll be limited to 80FPS or so, but with a game like Crysis he could use a much better GPU than even 2 GTX 295s (is that possible?  Quad SLI?  I don't know).

True his mobo might not support it, or his power supply, but he'd be better off with a high end ATI card anyways.

The 'next big thing' should be coming sooner than 6 months and will help prices along with giving him more options.  Either way buying the highest end now is a complete waste of money (as always).
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    @HitmanAgent47: You think Crysis is CPU limited on whatever CPU you have?

Just so I'm backing up my argument, very few games are CPU limited today, example (many more examples can be found here) :

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

you got a q6600, i would try overclocking that shiz to 3ghz first before you upgrade your stuff. 

Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow slow down. First off don't get an SLI setup. Why? Usually one video card is better than 2. SLI is over rated.

Secondly how fast is your memory? Your CPU and Memory are fine. What you need and should do is upgrade the power supply and video card. Get a Zalmann 750 watts from Newegg. Under specifications make sure it lists 4 +12volt rails at 20 AMPS each. Do not get anything less. I repeat do not get anything less. 

That should be able to run all the current and future games for the next few years fine. If anything you could install more memory if your system is 64bit. (The Windows) If it's 32bit it only reads 3.5 GB of ram, the extra 512 is lost to other system components.

In contrast the 64 bit version has way more ram capacity more than you'll ever need. 

In conclusion I recommend a power supply and video card upgrade first. Then upgrade the memory. I wouldn't spend any more money. 

For that you build a new system considering the bundles out there. I recommend Newegg.com

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @Unstoppable: The dude is already set on building a brand new PC, and the one he's getting is barely better than what he has now.  Go figure.

Apparently someone told him a Q6600 wasn't good enough, so he's buying a i7 920 with a PC around it.
    nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By nick69

Your ram is fine, your cpu is fine, and your hdd is fine. Get one graphics card of your choice, albeit ATI or Nvidia, depends on if you want dx11(Radeon 5870), and maybe a motherboard upgrade. Also, you might want to consider if your power supply unit can handle everything. I would suggest going to www.newegg.com to buy your stuff.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By captain_clayman

2 295's? 

YOU  COULD BUY A WHOLE NEW COMPUTER FOR THAT MUCH THAT CAN PLAY LIKE EVERY GAME!

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By rhodric

Buy more RAM, that is all.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By warxsnake

single card solution always, fuck sli.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By VanderSEXXX

for you mother board I'd recommend either the ASUS MAximus III Formula ( http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=0ODEkxv4cmlXkqmr&templete=2
       ) or the new ASUS Mayhem ( http://event.asus.com/Xtreme_Design/mb/mayhem/ ).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.