Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Upgrading processor

tazpafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tazpafc

Hi guys,

So i was thinking about buying a new laptop but have decided to upgrade my current pc instead. The thing is im not very switched on with pc,s so thought id post here so you guys can help me, basicaly i know what ram i need and whats the max i can have but im having trouble trying to figure out what processor to buy so im gonna try putting as much info about my specs here as i can to help you help me lol, not worried about graphics as i dont play any high end games, all i play is football manager so here we go,

Acer Aspire X3960

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2100

Multi-core (2 total)

4042 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Board: Acer Aspire X3960

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P01-A4 03/08/2011 (this is what it said under main circuit board)

and just incase you wanted to know the graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family [Display adapter]

So iv tried finding out the mother board and its come up with whats here and intel H67 so hope you guys can help,

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

Why would you want to upgrade the processor if you only play football manager? That Core i3 2100 is a sandy bridge processor though only 2 core, if you have it at 3.1 Ghz, you are ok. The easiest way to get an improvement in performance is to get a graphics card but you don't care about that so looks to me like you are fine here. No need to upgrade anything with what you want out of it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

I've been out of the loop for a few months but a Core i5 is what I'd slap into a new PC these days. If you're on a tight budget, a Core i3 might run Football Manager just fine, too.

As for RAM, you need at least two gigs for Windows 7 but there's little reason to put in less than four since RAM is hella cheap.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mosdl

@TheHBK said:

Why would you want to upgrade the processor if you only play football manager? That Core i3 2100 is a sandy bridge processor though only 2 core, if you have it at 3.1 Ghz, you are ok. The easiest way to get an improvement in performance is to get a graphics card but you don't care about that so looks to me like you are fine here. No need to upgrade anything with what you want out of it.

Most simulation games require a lot more processing power than graphics power

tazpafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tazpafc

Thanks TheHBK,

I here what your saying about the processor, iv been told it isn't a bad one but the trouble i get is when i play football manager i like to load alot of leagues and players and when i do this there is a star rating for processor and game speed, when i load these large leagues and players my star rating for processor goes down to 1 and a half stars which result in the game taking forever to do anything.

tazpafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tazpafc

Definitly mosdl,

Im gonna upgrade memory but im sure i need to upgrade proccesor aswell and would like to do this before football manager 2013 is out lol

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By alternate

I can't see Football manager taking advantage of anything more powerful than your dual core - but here is the specs if you are set on upgrading.

Acer H67H2-AD LGA1155 Motherboard MBSFF07001
    Type:Desktop motherboard
    Part Number:
    Acer MBSFF07001
    Motherboard Specifications:
    Chipset:
    Intel H67
    CPU Socket Type :
    Socket LGA1155
    CPU Support: :
    I3 I5 I7, G530 G630 series E3-1 230
    tazpafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tazpafc

Brilliant thanks alternate, iv been trying for ages to find out what i have, thanks alot

tazpafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tazpafc

Thanks for all your help guys

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.