Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

upgrading ssd, uses for old one

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

So PC games are getting bigger, and I've been able to fit less and less on my current SSD. Based on reviews and recommendations, I'm very close to buying this Crucial SSD, just waiting for a sale closer to the holiday. My question is, what should I do with my current SSD (OCZ Vertex 3 120GB) once I get the new one? The only other thing I have I could put it into potentially is a PS3, but I hear they don't support TRIM and it's the 320GB slim so I'd be losing space. Are they worth putting in an external enclosure and would I want eSATA or USB3, or should I just try selling it on Ebay? Thanks.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By UncleDisco

I would just leave it in your current PC. Maybe dedicate that one to games you are currently playing?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Use it as an internal backup drive for weekly system images.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thermite

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My motherboard was a first run Sandy Bridge I never got replaced, which has a SATA glitch on the 3.0 GB ports, so I'm hesitant to move my HDD to one of those. I guess I could test it out with all 3 and see if it actually makes a difference.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So PC games are getting bigger, and I've been able to fit less and less on my current SSD. Based on reviews and recommendations, I'm very close to buying this Crucial SSD, just waiting for a sale closer to the holiday. My question is, what should I do with my current SSD (OCZ Vertex 3 120GB) once I get the new one? The only other thing I have I could put it into potentially is a PS3, but I hear they don't support TRIM and it's the 320GB slim so I'd be losing space. Are they worth putting in an external enclosure and would I want eSATA or USB3, or should I just try selling it on Ebay? Thanks.

Give it away to a friend or family member that's stuck with mechanical drives. That's what I do whenever I retire something. Trying to sell a 120gb drive used would cost me more in time and effort than I'd get back in money.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Make some modern "art."

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Have a laptop? Drop it in that.

I have a 120 gig SSD in my computer that's just for WoW and Skyrim.

It's not worth selling, though. You can find 120 gig SSDs for 50 cents a gig or less nowadays, new.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.