Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Upgrading the old fossil

SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SavUK

Hi all,

I have been playing Star Trek Online on my laptop:
    Intel  Dual T3400 2.16Ghz
    4Gb Ram
    Integrated Intel Graphics - Yuck!
    Windows 7 64Bit

It is playable but far from great. I decided to re-setup my old (self built) rig from 2004.  (Decided to go with consoles once that became obsolete).
    Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.6Ghz
    1Mb DDR2 RAM
    ATI X800XT-PE 256Mb PCI-E Graphics Card.
    Windows XP

Any way I tried Star Trek on that and it ran surprisingly  well, much better than the laptop. The problem is my graphics card. It is on it's last legs and keeps locking up the system after an hour or so. I am saving up to build a new rig, but expect that to take at least another year.

As you can see I have been out of the PC Scene for quite a while. Not wanting to spend a lot I have been looking at a cheap £40 Ati HD5450 512Mb to replace the X800XT. Can I expect this to offer at least the same performance as the X800XT? Will only be playing Star Trek Online and re-playing the old games I bought around 2004. Not entirely sure it is compatable with my current system. Can someone point me in the right direction. 

Edit:
    Side note: Another reason I am drawn to the HD5450 is that it offers passive cooling. The X800XT was always a noisy beast and I just can't live with the noise under full load! Have cards got quieter over the years?

Thanks

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Sounds like the 5450 will do you good in this case, though it's up to you whether you want to spend that money now for the card or hold on to that bit and use it towards the full new rig.  
    As for noisy cards, they still vary from card to card. There are some that are much louder than an old X800XT, but I've found that, for the most part, cards have quieted down.

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @Driadon: My 9800GT from XFX is like a little leaf blower during most modern games.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon
    @Fuzz_Butt:
    As are my 8800GT's as well, but the GTS's I had before purred almost silently.
    SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SavUK
    Thanks for the replied everyone.  @Driadon yep I would prefer not to spend money and put it towards the new rig, but not sure I could settle playing on the laptop again. I Just disassembled everything and put it back together and so far no lock ups. Added an extra case fan I had lying around as well and put that at the top. I don't think it was an over heating issue,never had a problem in the past and the tower is out in the open. At least I know the HD5450 is probably the way to go if it does finally give in.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Geno
    @SavUK:
     The 5450 is not even remotely a gaming card, it is meant for Home Theater PCs (PCs to watch HD movies) and office computers with extremely low graphical requirements. It can barely play the least demanding games at the lowest settings, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/02/09/radeon-hd-5450-review/5  let alone anything new. The 5450 is not a significant improvement over what you have now. If you are in the budget price range I would recommend the extra few bucks to get the Geforce 9600GT at $84.99, it will run STO fine at low to low-medium settings: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-trek-online,2553-5.html. For even better value, but a bit more expensive, the 9800GT at $99.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130535&cm_re=9800gt-_-14-130-535-_-Product    
    SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SavUK
    @Geno: Thanks for the reply. I have subsequently read up more on the HD5450 and know it is aimed at HTPC. 

So far taking it apart and putting it back together has stabalised the system. It has been in storage unused since 2006 so may have got knocked over or something. It seems to be chugging along quite happily at 1280x1024 in STO not sure what FPS I am getting but not noticing any stuttering. The fan is still noisy as hell though under load!  Do they do the Geforce 9600GT with passive cooling? probably cheaper just getting some headphones  :-)  
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By Geno
    @SavUK: The 9600GT doesn't use passive cooling. All cards with fans can get quite loud at max load, but since each card has a different max load that will be the primary determinant as to how hard the fans need to run, and thus how loud they will be. If you're using any older/weaker card to play a modern or demanding game, then that is what will happen. I can't guarantee that the 9600GT will run quieter than your current setup, but you will definitely get better performance and I imagine it should run a lot quieter at the same settings you're running now, since it has a much higher max load. 

You can also get a GPU cooler, but I'm fairly certain that GPU coolers for your particular model have long been out of stock. 
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fynne

The big advantage of the 5000 series cards from AMD is that they are DX11 compatible.  I know you're not really looking for a gaming card, but that's still future proofing.

SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SavUK

Just an update, the old rig has finally become rediculously unstable. Looking to build a new rig up over time. Hoping to start with this as a base: 

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.80GHz (HDT55TFBGRBOX)
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 AMD 890GX (Socket AM3) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard ( M4A89GTDPro)
    Corsair HX Series 750W Modular ATX2.2 SLI/Crossfire Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-750HXUK)
    Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) Listed as i3/i5/i7 but plenty of people running this with above mobo, tweeking with Bios. Listed AM3 memory is more expensive for some reason. 

Corsair CWCH50-1 Corsair Water-Cooling™ High performance CPU Cooler (CWCH50-1) Hoping will allow upping cpu if needed at later date, and fingers crossed quieter than stock cooler.
    NZXT Beta Evo Midi Tower Gaming Case - Black (nzxtbevo-001bk)

The above comes to £574.70 delivered which is the cheapest I can find so far.

Now the mobo has integrated ATI Radeon HD4290 chip which I am hoping will be adequate for Star Trek Online. I will be using my Samsung 720P TV (Yeah I know!)
    I will be using my current 250GB Hard drive and DVD-RW plus some of the current case fans if needs be. Oh and using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 (already have).

Further upgrades down the line when more funds available:

1TB Hard Drive
    Another 4Gb Memory
    Graphics card of some description. May wait until HD6xxx series and assess the options then.

My main question is whether the HD4290 will be adequate to solidier on with or do you thin a separate HD5xxx lower end £100 ish is worth the purchase now, with the view to upgrade realisyicaly next year? Any suggestions?
    Also with 750W be enough seems to tick all the 12v rail amps etc, I can't envisage multiple GPUs anytime soon, if at all but want potential for modest overclocking?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just get a GTX460 1gb later on, intergrated graphics is not something you will use for gaming unless you want to play at really low settings.

SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SavUK

Thanks for the quich reply. I have the option to get a VTX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 (Clock speed 850 MHz) for £111. Worth it to be getting along with at 720P? Won't be playing crysis just Steam games, mainly source engine. So close to just clicking buy :)    

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlasherMan
    @SavUK said:
    " Thanks for the quich reply. I have the option to get a VTX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 (Clock speed 850 MHz) for £111. Worth it to be getting along with at 720P? Won't be playing crysis just Steam games, mainly source engine. So close to just clicking buy :)     "
    More than enough. Overkill for 720p, even.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @SavUK: Well if that's your goal, then just click buy. It's no gtx460 1GB, which is better than the HD5770 and HD5830, however it's your money. Just know you definetly can do better, however that will be good enough for your current needs. I hope your playing more than source games and other graphically demanding games too, which requires alot of power. Yet at 720p, any mid range videocard is good enough. If you upgrade your display with will be higher rez later on, you might realise that your card can't play all games that well. It will play most games well. Still it's your money and your decision, if that's your budget and graphical goals at that low rez.
    SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SavUK

Excellent. I opted for the card  as it was a limited stock deal and 5 had already sold during my  umming and ahhing. Can stop worrying now. I can actually get value from STO now (lifetime sub) without it chugging. I enjoy it, scratches my sci-fi/ space combat itch. Could never get into Wow during the trial period didn't take to the fantasy setting. Also looking forward to revisiting some older games I own. 

Thanks everyone for your replies has helped alot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.