Using a Dualshock 3 for PC

#1 Posted by emofratparty (99 posts) -

After exhaustive search efforts, I found but a few legitimate-ish-looking outlets for explaining how to setup a Dualshock 3/Sixaxis for PC use. Unfortunately, the best-looking site I found had a solution that didn't work for me, even after extensive troubleshooting. I'm hoping it's just user error, but I know how to use a computer.

Does anyone have a good way to get a Dualshock 3 working for PC? Wired or wireless, doesn't matter to me.

Here's the best link I found: Dualshock 3 Setup.

#2 Edited by Ezekiel (405 posts) -

I wouldn't use MotioninJoy. XInputWrapper is good. Have you looked at instructions for it? It's simple to set up.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

I used MotioninJoy for years with no issues and pretty easy set up. I have a DS4 now and use that instead but the DS3 worked fine when I used it.

#4 Posted by hakunin (388 posts) -
#5 Edited by tumbell (13 posts) -
#6 Posted by emofratparty (99 posts) -

Awesome, xinputWrapper didn't come up anywhere. I'll try it out and update, if it works I'll get rid of the thread. Thank you for the suggestions!

#7 Posted by ftrevelin (72 posts) -

Been using BetterDS3 as an alternative to motioninjoy, quite good, never had any problems.

#8 Posted by emofratparty (99 posts) -

@ezekiel @tumbell: XInputWrapper works perfectly. Thanks again for the reference!

#9 Edited by mikey87144 (1728 posts) -

At this point I would get a PS4 controller and use DS4 fix. It works flawlessly except for the fact that the prompts are for the 360 controller.

#10 Edited by crithon (3121 posts) -

I've been using the PS one controller since 1997 when a friend of mine taught me how to cut open an extension cord into a serial port and then make his own drivers. And I haven't stopped using Sony branded controller since. But yeah I use the Motionjoy wrapper to think it's a 360 controller.

There was a point around 2002 where I'd buy a USB plug in for the PS2 dualshock from radio shack. And I also have a USB plug in for the dreamcast controller

#11 Posted by emofratparty (99 posts) -

@mikey87144: The DS3 works flawlessly too, when I get the money I'll probably push it up a generation and just updated XInputWrapper.

And @crithon, that is awesome.

#12 Posted by Crysack (302 posts) -

Been using BetterDS3 as an alternative to motioninjoy, quite good, never had any problems.

Xinput wrapper is a better alternative. The Motioninjoy/BetterDS3 drivers have a tendency to blue-screen your PC if you accidentally disconnect your dualshock while it's activated.

#13 Posted by Damodar (1341 posts) -

Put me in the Xinput Wrapper camp too. I've had zero troubles with that. It's super easy to use, wired or wireless, it seems super stable and it's not dodgy Chinese spyware, as far as I can tell. :P

The only downside is that I belieeeeve it totally hijacks a bluetooth device for its own purposes, but it works with the bluetooth adapters you can get off Ebay for like $1, so having one of those dedicated to controller use isn't exactly a big deal.

#14 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

@crysack said:

@ftrevelin said:

Xinput wrapper is a better alternative. The Motioninjoy/BetterDS3 drivers have a tendency to blue-screen your PC if you accidentally disconnect your dualshock while it's activated.

I've used MotionJoy (and moved to BetterDS3) for something like 2 years on PC until I got my DS4 and never had that happen once. :|

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.