Valve intend to make Steambox a reality

  • 88 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Insectecutor (1203 posts) -

Just caught this article over at Kotaku. In an interview with Jason Schreier, Gabe Newell confirms they're making some kind of living room PC.

http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

Sounds like it may be a Linux system given their recent comments about Microsoft and Windows 8, and their eagerness to get Big Picture working on that platform. I think this could be a big deal, Valve are perfectly placed to bring downloadable games to the living room without the kind of crippling royalties that the big three console manufacturers charge.

#2 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

That would be quite neat.

I just hope it's called "Tub" or "Pool".

#3 Posted by Icemo (656 posts) -

Steambox launch lineup:

-Half-life 3

Right, ?

#4 Posted by Jimbo (9934 posts) -

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

Online
#5 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I wonder if it will just be a straight up PC in a box with Steam running on it or a device that can stream games and Steam directly from your current PC.

#6 Posted by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

Give me some magic technology so that I can stream my PC to my TV wirelessly and I'm good.

#7 Posted by 49th (2816 posts) -

Awesome, I would probably use this.

#8 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

Yeah, what I gather from a possibly out of context Gabe Newell comment is that... Valve is getting into the console business. I mean, a purpose-built PC with a controlled environment is the definition. It will certainly be more open than current consoles, and I'd love for one console manufacturer that ditches physical media altogether.

#9 Posted by Jimbo (9934 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Jimbo said:

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

Yeah, what I gather from a possibly out of context Gabe Newell comment is that... Valve is getting into the console business. I mean, a purpose-built PC with a controlled environment is the definition. It will certainly be more open than current consoles, and I'd love for one console manufacturer that ditches physical media altogether.

That's where this has been heading for the past few years now. They all want a storefront in your living room, and one which -once you've bought into it- gives you no choice but to buy everything directly through them (which digital-only achieves). Microsoft and Sony will do the same, it just has to be weighed against how much they think they might lose from people who can't or won't be ready to go all-digital.

I still believe we might see Microsoft and Sony hedge their bets in this regard, and release a subsidised digital-only version of their next consoles, alongside the more traditional (and more expensive) model. They won't want to cut anybody out, but they'll really want as many people as possible to buy the digital-only model.

Online
#10 Posted by J12088 (462 posts) -

I'll wait and see on this one. Does Valve have the muscle to compete against microsoft? Kinda think if they was making a console they'd come out and say it not tip toe around it like in that article...doubt it'll turn out to be anything too special. I'd like a console made by Valve though.

#11 Posted by Insectecutor (1203 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

I wonder if it will just be a straight up PC in a box with Steam running on it or a device that can stream games and Steam directly from your current PC.

I guess there's not much reason it couldn't do both.

@Jimbo said:

@AndrewB said:

@Jimbo said:

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

Yeah, what I gather from a possibly out of context Gabe Newell comment is that... Valve is getting into the console business. I mean, a purpose-built PC with a controlled environment is the definition. It will certainly be more open than current consoles, and I'd love for one console manufacturer that ditches physical media altogether.

That's where this has been heading for the past few years now. They all want a storefront in your living room, and one which -once you've bought into it- gives you no choice but to buy everything directly through them (which digital-only achieves). Microsoft and Sony will do the same, it just has to be weighed against how much they think they might lose from people who can't or won't be ready to go all-digital.

I still believe we might see Microsoft and Sony hedge their bets in this regard, and release a subsidised digital-only version of their next consoles, alongside the more traditional (and more expensive) model. They won't want to cut anybody out, but they'll really want as many people as possible to buy the digital-only model.

I would love to see Sony and Microsoft go fully download. There is no reason they have to offer boxed products at retail, they could easily allow you to download to a USB stick at the store. Then they could get rid of game stores entirely and just have kiosks in supermarkets or something.

#12 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1729 posts) -

I hope they will do some sort of streaming-box, that would be whats interesting to me. I don't really need a full fledged PC, I already own one.

#13 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

And thousands of people go unemployed. Alright!

#14 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

Give me some magic technology so that I can stream my PC to my TV wirelessly and I'm good.

I've been thinking about this more and more recently, but haven't had time to actually look into it.

I'm fairly certain this is plausible, but I have no idea how to go about it.

After my exams I'mma try and get it set up.

#15 Posted by Insectecutor (1203 posts) -

@Winternet said:

And thousands of people go unemployed. Alright!

Yes but it won't happen overnight. In the long term either game retail re-invents itself or it dies. I wonder if this will have a negative effect on the public's opinion of games? If they don't have dedicated stores to promote games as a "valid" entertainment medium will they become less popular?

#16 Posted by J12088 (462 posts) -

@Winternet said:

And thousands of people go unemployed. Alright!

Christ. Happens everyday kid. People lose jobs. People get jobs. It's a fact of life - get used to it. World changes.

When you start working you'll quickly realize this.

#17 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

Sounds to me like they are making a budget pc that will be able to play most Steam games, don't get too excited guys.

#18 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2964 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

Very true it is the same thing on the gaming side.  That is the interesting thing for me, how far is Valve going to go on the living room box aspect.  Do they go ahead and get a Netflix app?  Do they put in a music player?  Does the box act as a media center?  Can a push a DVD/BluRay and play it?  There is no problem with Valve doing any of that, but will they do it.
 
I'm not worried about Valve making a box, what I worry about is people's ability to understand the 'apples for apples' aspect of this move by Valve.  If anything can be gleaned from this it is that Sony and Microsoft were so uninterested in what Nintendo was doing because what Valve was 'hinting at' doing was more worth watching.  I think Sony and Microsoft see Valve as more of a equal, or potential equal because they are entering the same space with the same games.
#19 Posted by JohnstonThistle (42 posts) -

Don't care.

#20 Posted by believer258 (12096 posts) -

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are...

No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Online
#21 Posted by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn: Well streaming games sounds a bit like OnLive, and I'd imagine Valve would want to stay away from that style of content delivery. It could be an option though.

#22 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -
@Icemo

Steambox launch lineup:

-Half-life 3

Right, ?

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.
#23 Edited by Insectecutor (1203 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are... No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Having well-known hardware will allow developers to target that hardware to make sure their games run well on it. If you want to dig into that graphics nerd stuff I'm sure you can, but I'd imagine the game would detect it was running on a steam console and choose the best settings based on that.

Also if Valve update the hardware after five years the PC formula suggests all old games will continue to run on new hardware and look better, and (shock) new games will run on the old hardware with reduced settings. Given that console cycles are extending anyway (loads of people are quite satisfied with Xbox 360 graphics even now), doesn't this model make a lot more sense?

Edit: I'd also point out that if you're already a the kind of PC gamer who overclocks or liquid-cools this product probably isn't meant for you.

#24 Edited by Bollard (5756 posts) -

Steam on Linux will have even less titles available than Mac Steam. I don't see how that a console running Linux Steam is useful at all.

@Insectecutor said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are... No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Having well-known hardware will allow developers to target that hardware to make sure their games run well on it. If you want to dig into that graphics nerd stuff I'm sure you can, but I'd imagine the game would detect it was running on a steam console and choose the best settings based on that.

That means developers will have to port their game to another system, on top of the latest Microsoft and Sony (and presumably Nintendo) consoles too. If someone made an exclusive for this thing, maybe they could "target hardware", but you really think developers have time to tune their game to yet another platform? If you're lucky it'll run as well as a poor PC port, plus if it's using Linux then developers won't even be able to just put their bloody PC port on it anyway, and noone will support the thing. Unless they just emulate Windows in Linux, which will run like shit.

#25 Posted by niamahai (1407 posts) -

...i just.. want steam achievements to be numbers that I can accumulate...

#26 Posted by Cameron (605 posts) -

This would be cool if it both ran Windows and came at a subsidized price. If they could put out a high-end gaming computer for $400-$500 then I'd be in. I don't want a Linux based box that only runs a very small subsection of my Steam library, and I'm certainly not interested if it isn't both high-end and cheap.

#27 Posted by Insectecutor (1203 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

Steam on Linux will have even less titles available than Mac Steam. I don't see how that a console running Linux Steam is useful at all.

@Insectecutor said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are... No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Having well-known hardware will allow developers to target that hardware to make sure their games run well on it. If you want to dig into that graphics nerd stuff I'm sure you can, but I'd imagine the game would detect it was running on a steam console and choose the best settings based on that.

That means developers will have to port their game to another system, on top of the latest Microsoft and Sony (and presumably Nintendo) consoles too. If someone made an exclusive for this thing, maybe they could "target hardware", but you really think developers have time to tune their game to yet another platform? If you're lucky it'll run as well as a poor PC port, plus if it's using Linux then developers won't even be able to just put their bloody PC port on it anyway, and noone will support the thing. Unless they just emulate Windows in Linux, which will run like shit.

This doesn't sound like "another platform" to me, it sounds like it's PC hardware running Linux. Developers already port to PC and already release games on Steam. It's not really a huge amount of work for them to add a menu option that selects standard settings for this hardware configuration. Devs who release on steam already test the shit out of their game on a bunch of different hardware set-ups.

Running Windows games under Linux is not as shit as you think, but you're right it will be a problem for some developers and who knows what the legal stuff will be around all that. What is missing is engine support, but big engine developers are looking at Linux-native again. Epic used to support it, Crytek are apparently going there.

#28 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

Give me some magic technology so that I can stream my PC to my TV wirelessly and I'm good.

www.wi-fi.org/wi-fi-certified-miracast™

Miracast (the type of devices used for the Wii U 2nd screen) and Intel's WiDi are both designed to do that. Widi has beena round for a few years. Though there is the caveat that most of these are intended for shorter range (like the Wii U again.....) so it will not necessarily go as far as standard WiFi.

I think it would be more interesting if one of the new powerline networking standards was used for a miracast style setup instead of WiFi. Even in suburban areas the available spectrum for wireless can get a bit crowded, now that every house has a wireless router.

#29 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

It would be totally cool if there was some cross platform with the steam box, PC, and Mac players~ Meaning that these communities would not be separated and that my friend (who is not really tech savvy) could play together~ Really hoping that these communities will be merged together (though there is so many unknowns, SO EXCITING!)

For myself, I will not buy the system because well....I own a PC that can already do that...

But! I see people (like my friend for example) who wants to get into PC gaming, but is kinda unwilling to learn about the proper maintenance of PC. As well as making some PC games run properly (for example, Saint Rows III was a pain to get up and running, Darn those red artifacts! Thank goodness for the PC Gaming Wiki) I believe this is aimed towards those types of people. People who want to simply relax, play a game, and not have to fiddle with everyday PC needs~

#30 Posted by believer258 (12096 posts) -

@Insectecutor said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are... No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Having well-known hardware will allow developers to target that hardware to make sure their games run well on it. If you want to dig into that graphics nerd stuff I'm sure you can, but I'd imagine the game would detect it was running on a steam console and choose the best settings based on that.

Also if Valve update the hardware after five years the PC formula suggests all old games will continue to run on new hardware and look better, and (shock) new games will run on the old hardware with reduced settings. Given that console cycles are extending anyway (loads of people are quite satisfied with Xbox 360 graphics even now), doesn't this model make a lot more sense?

Edit: I'd also point out that if you're already a the kind of PC gamer who overclocks or liquid-cools this product probably isn't meant for you.

I don't overclock or liquid cool but I know what those mean and could do both of them if I so chose.

Anyway, five year old hardware is something of a minimum for most modern games. Sometimes games don't really run all that well on the minimum recommended requirements. And, no, I don't mean that in the "PC elitist 60FPS, 1080p, Ultra settings" sense, I mean that in the "this looks like Lego's and runs at 15 FPS" sense. PC gaming requires some know-how, not necessarily "advanced" computer knowledge but you've got to be willing to work at least a little bit on your end, and I don't believe you can just make that completely hassle-free with a standardized box where PC games are supposed to just work. And no, that's not what a console is, games on a console are specialized with that very console in mind, if you're telling me that all PC games will suddenly be specialized for a single box and everyone else who likes building and tinkering with their own computer will be left out to make it work right on their own, then I may just start crying.

I like Valve a whole lot, and I like Steam a whole lot, and I like my consoles a whole lot, so I'm not completely writing this off. I'm just wary of it. I have my own PC, I don't want PC gaming to suddenly mean the same thing as console gaming, i.e. you pop your game in and you're limited to 30FPS on old hardware and have no options whatsoever. Probably just an overreaction.

Online
#31 Posted by Bollard (5756 posts) -

@Insectecutor said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Steam on Linux will have even less titles available than Mac Steam. I don't see how that a console running Linux Steam is useful at all.

@Insectecutor said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are... No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Having well-known hardware will allow developers to target that hardware to make sure their games run well on it. If you want to dig into that graphics nerd stuff I'm sure you can, but I'd imagine the game would detect it was running on a steam console and choose the best settings based on that.

That means developers will have to port their game to another system, on top of the latest Microsoft and Sony (and presumably Nintendo) consoles too. If someone made an exclusive for this thing, maybe they could "target hardware", but you really think developers have time to tune their game to yet another platform? If you're lucky it'll run as well as a poor PC port, plus if it's using Linux then developers won't even be able to just put their bloody PC port on it anyway, and noone will support the thing. Unless they just emulate Windows in Linux, which will run like shit.

This doesn't sound like "another platform" to me, it sounds like it's PC hardware running Linux. Developers already port to PC and already release games on Steam. It's not really a huge amount of work for them to add a menu option that selects standard settings for this hardware configuration. Devs who release on steam already test the shit out of their game on a bunch of different hardware set-ups.

Running Windows games under Linux is not as shit as you think, but you're right it will be a problem for some developers and who knows what the legal stuff will be around all that. What is missing is engine support, but big engine developers are looking at Linux-native again. Epic used to support it, Crytek are apparently going there.

What I meant was to get any sort of benefits by exploiting the format of the hardware you would have to treat it like another platform, otherwise you're just running it like any other PC game. Also, I don't know about you but most of the games on that list are hardly relevant at all today, and even ones that are (see L4D2 which I clicked on arbitrarily) do not even work (unless you count the main menu a game). Obviously Valve know what they're doing when they come to make a Steam platform for Linux, but the point is go and look at the number of games that you can play on Mac Steam. Now imagine that for an even more niche platform, which next to no-one actually develops for. The games which will run under Linux will run great I don't doubt, but you'll probably be able to count them on one hand (<- hyperbole).

#32 Posted by Jayzilla (2571 posts) -

If it's a Linux based OS, Steam interface, has a functional web browser, and a game machine; I am buying one day 1. That's all I use a PC for.

#33 Posted by Hector (3375 posts) -

I think it would just be easier to have computers with a "Steam Ready" logo or something...

#34 Posted by Wikitoups (869 posts) -
@Jimbo

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

I would rather have that. Trying to make my computer show up on my tv last night shows thats its still a bit difficult and that one of the great things with a console that it works.

they will still be people who will build a pc to play pc games (and on max graphics) and thats cool but they will be people like me who would like it that it just woks and on par with other consoles maybe a bit better.
#35 Edited by Jams (2965 posts) -

It's probably going to be a $500-$700 form factored PC. It'll run some special version of Linux with a Big Picture GUI. So you'll basically never know that you're running a version of Linux. It'll have a small library of games at start (just like any console release) and more will probably be added over time. It'll have built in WIFI, an Ethernet port, 2 to 4 USB ports and 1 HDMI port. I'm not sure if it'll come with an optical drive but I have a feeling it won't.

That's basically my prediction to what it'll be. That or Sony and Valve are in cahoots and the PS4 will be integrated with Steam.

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

PCs change so much I don't know how they plan on keeping that box up to date for new games unless it is unreasonably expensive due to having parts in it that could last 5 years+.

Online
#37 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@Jams said:

It'll run some special version of Linux with a Big Picture GUI. So you'll basically never know that you're running a version of Linux.

Exactly my thought.

@Jams said:

It'll have a small library of games at start (just like any console release) and more will probably be added over time.

That not so much methinks- it'll probably have access to any games on Steam that are Linux-compatible. (Who knows how many that'll be by then. >_> )

Unless you're talking about a library of brand new games- and aren't counting games already on Steam as part of its library- in which case I agree with you. (Of course, this ties into the obvious notion of Half-life 3 being a launch title. :P )

@Jams said:

That or Sony and Valve are in cahoots and the PS4 will be integrated with Steam.

Only if Valve has finally managed to freeze hell over. :P

But wait- that would mean Hell is an abstract symbol of Valve's relationship with Sony... >_>

Which would mean they've already partially succeeded- and are trying to finish the job... <_<

:P

#38 Posted by Jayzilla (2571 posts) -

IDK why people think this needs to last more than 3-4 years max. Before this console cycle, consoles were coming out at about 5 years each cycle. I upgrade my PC every few years anyways. If Valve can figure something out, then cool. I would happily buy an upgraded Steambox every 3 years. The fact that it won't run on Windows is good enough for me.

#39 Posted by Sputty (143 posts) -

Everything I've read about the Steambox seems really bad. It'll likely be a Linux based OS which means that it won't have access to older games, it will be closed off from non-Steam games so there goes EA, Blizzard and a ton of small scale stuff, it will be a closed software and hardware platform, it will split the PC userbase, and it possibly have a bad control and viewing scheme for a large portion of PC games like DOTA 2.

If it's just another console then why bother when Steam is extremely profitable and the creation of this will just hurt the PC market and if it's just a PC then why bother getting involved with the messy hardware market?

#40 Posted by Pudge (910 posts) -

I've fallen in love with my PC setup since I've moved it onto the TV full time, so I'm really interested to see what Valve releases. As long as the box is reasonably powerful to play most everything in my collection, and they keep pushing controller support updates for their games and encouraging devs to do it, I can't really see the need to buy an Xbox in the next generation.

#41 Posted by Jimbo (9934 posts) -

@Wikitoups said:

@Jimbo

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

I would rather have that. Trying to make my computer show up on my tv last night shows thats its still a bit difficult and that one of the great things with a console that it works. they will still be people who will build a pc to play pc games (and on max graphics) and thats cool but they will be people like me who would like it that it just woks and on par with other consoles maybe a bit better.

I've got no problem with it -there's a lot to be said for simplicity and standardisation- I just don't see how what he's proposing differs from what we are already calling consoles.

Online
#42 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

It'll have a small library of games at start (just like any console release) and more will probably be added over time.

That not so much methinks- it'll probably have access to any games on Steam that are Linux-compatible. (Who knows how many that'll be by then. >_> )

Unless you're talking about a library of brand new games- and aren't counting games already on Steam as part of its library- in which case I agree with you. (Of course, this ties into the obvious notion of Half-life 3 being a launch title. :P )

That's what I mean. There's only like what, 1 game on steam that runs on Linux so far? Once they get like 12 games running on steam linux then they'll have enough for a launch. With any luck we'll get every game supported with Steam Linux. Then we can ditch Windows once and for all.

#43 Posted by TheHT (11676 posts) -

What? So Ryan was wrong? But he was so sure of himself.

#44 Edited by Mcfart (1717 posts) -

@Jams said:

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

It'll have a small library of games at start (just like any console release) and more will probably be added over time.

That not so much methinks- it'll probably have access to any games on Steam that are Linux-compatible. (Who knows how many that'll be by then. >_> )

Unless you're talking about a library of brand new games- and aren't counting games already on Steam as part of its library- in which case I agree with you. (Of course, this ties into the obvious notion of Half-life 3 being a launch title. :P )

That's what I mean. There's only like what, 1 game on steam that runs on Linux so far? Once they get like 12 games running on steam linux then they'll have enough for a launch. With any luck we'll get every game supported with Steam Linux. Then we can ditch Windows once and for all.

Won't happen unless the Steam Box sells like the Wii and people are forced to port.

I think it'll be a Windows Box, licencing fees-and-all. They simply can't sell a linux box at this point...both the OS and game selection will make the Steam Box DOA.

#45 Posted by Nightriff (5245 posts) -

If they give me great discounts on games like they already do I'll jump aboard. Problem with Microsoft's (more so) and Sony's digital stores is that they charge high prices for old games. Isn't Blood Money on 360 store like $40? Isn't it like $5 in Steam?

#46 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@JohnstonThistle said:

Don't care.

Whoa, edgy dude right here.

#47 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

A Steam Box WITH SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS CARD, ITS CALLED A PC

#48 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Calling it a living room PC seems like a fancy name for a console...

#49 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

Not all that excited, I'll stick to Steam on the PC with a monitor and I don't trust streaming to a TV due to wireless interference.

#50 Posted by mellotronrules (1230 posts) -

more competition in the living room is a great thing for the consumer, so i say bring it on. i have a solid pc, so it probably isn't for me, but i'll be watching this with interest. valve is a industry leader in many respects, so it'll be interesting to see what they do/attempt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.