Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Very low frame rates when recording games with fraps.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JTB123

I have quite a few games on my PC that I would like to make some videos for, the only problem is that the frame rates I’m getting when recording are really bad. I’m using fraps, and when I start recording the frame rate usually goes down by two thirds at least.

I have tried lowering the recording settings, I’ve put the frame rate down to 30 and used half size and it has given me a little improvement, but I’m still not getting much over 20FPS. I have heard that having a secondary hard drive to store the video helps as using your primary drive can be the reason for the drop in frame rate. My HD is nothing fancy, just a standard 7200rpm 1TB, would having another, completely empty drive to store video on help at all?

Thanks.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By envane

that would help somewhat , but you should address your processor and video card and ram before hard drive speed is brougth into account .. but yes .. a second hard drive would help with some framerate issues .. but if you cant get playable fps from half size you're already considerably bottlenecked ..

locking the fps will at least let your recording look a bit less choppy but will still be hard to play while recording

LassieME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By LassieME

Yes, a secondary HDD is almost a must-have to record anything of any sort of quality with Fraps.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SlasherMan

A separate HDD is most definitely a must with Fraps.

However, be sure to also lower your resolution when recording. If your video is not going to be published at anything over 720p, then run the game at 1280x720 or whatever resolution the video is going to be encoded at. This will help immensely in maintaining framerates while recording, and wouldn't be nearly as stressing as trying to record in 1080p (plus lower uncompressed video size, etc...).

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By shinboy630

@SlasherMan said:

However, be sure to also lower your resolution when recording. If your video is not going to be published at anything over 720p, then run the game at 1280x720 or whatever resolution the video is going to be encoded at.

Aside from the seperate HDD stuff, this is the best piece of advice anyone could give you. Hell, before he recently built his new rig, even totalbiscuit played games at 720p while recording.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By VACkillers

Might help if you could list your full system specs including OS, reslolution you game at, and what kind of games your recording to give us a better idea how to help you

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

It also depends on your GPU. Which is what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.