Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Video card conundrum

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By chililili

Hey so I was looking into getting a new video card, as my old one died, and I had been using an 8500 Nvidia. But I have stopped following the PC scene for a year or so now so I kinda lost track of which PC cards were the best in each range. What is the best I could get for 120-ish, and could it run Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect (the only games i'd play on the pc)

I have a machine running Windows XP with an AMD Athlon 64 Dual Cor 5400+ (2.8 Ghz) and have 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM (can I even run those games on those specs?)

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Not a huge amount of options for $120. 

At that price (roughly) I would suggest an ATI 4770, or nvidia 9600GT. 

If you went up to say $150, the options then become much more varied and give way better value. How much are you willing to spend?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB
    Radeon 4670, 1GB card Black Friday sale,  $64.99 with a $10 rebate making it $54.99. I haven't seen the system requirements for Dragon Age/ Mass Effect recently, but I do know that that card is better than the one you have now, pretty cheap, and I'm pretty sure it'll run them fine.

Quick performance comparison here.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cspiffo
    @AndrewB said:
    "Radeon 4670, 1GB card Black Friday sale,  $64.99 with a $10 rebate making it $54.99. I haven't seen the system requirements for Dragon Age/ Mass Effect recently, but I do know that that card is better than the one you have now, pretty cheap, and I'm pretty sure it'll run them fine.

Quick performance comparison here. "

The 4670 is as good as the 8800 GT.  I have the 4650 512MB and everything runs at max around 25-30 fps with a res of 1280X1024 on Mass Effect.  I haven't picked up Dragon Age yet.  Both games use Unreal Engine III though so Dragon Age should run just as well or better.  The 4670  is even better since it uses GDDR3 memory and is clocked higher. 

If you can hold off a little longer and save $50 more I would recommend getting the Radeon 5770.  It has 800 stream processes and is fully DX 11 compliant whereass the 4600 series has 320 stream process and is only DX 10.1.   You will be set for a while with that card.

This Site helps me keep track of the different card generations.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just get a 9800GTX+ for that price. Your cpu is good enough where it wouldn't bottleneck framerates. You should have no problems running mass effect or dragon age with that card. I heard there were high tempertures with the hd4850, I recommend not getting that, even if it's a bit faster than the 9800GTX+, it stutters a bit when it overheats on crysis anyways. For other games there should be no problems.

Then again I suggest you put a bit more money towards a better nvidia card.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By chililili
    @cspiffo said:
    " @AndrewB said:
    "Radeon 4670, 1GB card Black Friday sale,  $64.99 with a $10 rebate making it $54.99. I haven't seen the system requirements for Dragon Age/ Mass Effect recently, but I do know that that card is better than the one you have now, pretty cheap, and I'm pretty sure it'll run them fine.

The 4670 is as good as the 8800 GT.  I have the 4650 512MB and everything runs at max around 25-30 fps with a res of 1280X1024 on Mass Effect.  I haven't picked up Dragon Age yet.  Both games use Unreal Engine III though so Dragon Age should run just as well or better.  The 4670  is even better since it uses GDDR3 memory and is clocked higher. 

If you can hold off a little longer and save $50 more I would recommend getting the Radeon 5770.  It has 800 stream processes and is fully DX 11 compliant whereass the 4600 series has 320 stream process and is only DX 10.1.   You will be set for a while with that card.

This Site helps me keep track of the different card generations. "
    Ah that's a real good site, thanks, I have a question regarding Direct X, I thought windows XP only supported up until 9 so do I really benefit with a direct X 11 compliant card?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @chililili said:
    Ah that's a real good site, thanks, I have a question regarding Direct X, I thought windows XP only supported up until 9 so do I really benefit with a direct X 11 compliant card?
    You won't benefit from the DX11 features of the card until you move onto Vista or Windows 7, no.  Although not always true, the DX11 cards that are out now are going to be higher performing than DX10 or DX9 cards.  That will be true until they make some budget DX11 cards.
    JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JDM006

You only live once.  Cease the day and get one of these.

No Caption Provided
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

Well, the reason I didn't suggest waiting for a Direct X 11 card was definitely because A) using XP means it doesn't really matter B) they're new, and very expensive, and I assumed waiting for a price drop or cheaper card may be out of the question since you'd be looking for a card immediately C) not really much on the horizon to take advantage of it (honestly, there were very few games that even took full advantage of Direct X 10), and D) because the card I suggested is pretty awesome in the mid-range level, and super cheap.

However, if you plan on upgrading to Windows 7 anytime soon (and you should seriously think about it), you might actually want to wait as long as you can for the dust to settle on the upcoming video card releases, and wait for proces to be driven down to a level you can handle.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cspiffo
    @chililili said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    " @AndrewB said:

This Site helps me keep track of the different card generations. "
    Ah that's a real good site, thanks, I have a question regarding Direct X, I thought windows XP only supported up until 9 so do I really benefit with a direct X 11 compliant card? "

Yeah, Microsoft capped XP at DX9.  It is possible to get up to 10 running through various hacks.  The whole DX level isn't quite as important though as the quality of the GPU.  5xxx series cards are simply better than the 4xxx series.  There is an advantage going with a sub radeon 48xx series gpu though.  My 4650 draws all of its power right from the PCI-E bus and only takes up a single slot unlike these other behemoths that take two.  The 4670 only requires a 4 pin molex from your PSU You're less likely to need to upgrade you Power Supply with these. 

P.S.  I noticed also that ATI is now finally selling the 5750 for $145 at newegg!  Make sure you have a decent enough PSU though.  That card requires either two 4 pin molexes or a 6 pin power connector from your PSU.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Geno
    monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By monkeyroach

Are u guys living in 2007? The best card for 100$ is the 4850 or 250 if u want nivdia and they both have the same performance.If u have 144$ you can get a 4870 which will max out anything.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jiggah
    @monkeyroach said:

" Are u guys living in 2007? The best card for 100$ is the 4850 or 250 if u want nivdia and they both have the same performance.If u have 144$ you can get a 4870 which will max out anything. "

Agreed.  What's with the recommendation of a 4670 or 9600GT at the 120 range?

The GTS 250 and 4850 are the exact cards at the price range.  Additionally, I'll go out on limb and say that the dude has a smaller case than your normal computer enthusiast and both of those are smaller than the higher spec cards meaning they might actually fit.
    Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shop google and get a GTS 250 or higher or an ATI 4870 my personal favorite which I own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.