Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Video Card Help Required

Adanux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adanux

Sorry about making another of what appears to be many threads on this topic, but I know almost nothing about computer hardware, and I would appreciate some help in choosing a video card.  Right now I'm using a  ATI Radeon HD 4350, and if the internet is to be believed this is not a very good card.  Seeing as I'm now fresh out of infinity engine games to play, I'm wondering what would be my best option for somewhere around the $200-$300 price range or lower.  Again, I know very little when it comes to computer hardware so if there's anything about my current setup that would help in advising me, just ask and I'll post it here.  Also, I'm hoping to play in 1920 x 1080.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By nicolenomicon

This is a list of video cards fastest to slowest, look at what you think you want, then google it and see its benchmarks. Done.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Artie

If your card is as bad as you say it is you could get this for dirt cheap with a big difference. That's the card I have. It's not top of the line (Crysis is at Medium when I play) but Dragon Age is maxed out, fallout 3 is maxed out, company of heroes is maxed out, so I can't ask for much more.

And in reality there hasn't been a big PC technology in the past year or so, and probably won't be for a little bit. So you're better off sticking to the below $100 dollars instead of going for bigger price point for roughly the same thing.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

Firstly, specs are always nice. It's hard to recommend a video card if for example you have a 300W PSU and it won't even run on it or if you have a core duo that will bottleneck it. 

Secondly, right now is not the best time to get a new card as the Radeon 5000 series is in low quantities and a little overpriced, while Nvidia is a huge unknown at the moment and may offer something drastically better than what's currently available (not just as a result of regular tech progression, but because they are supposedly introducing a revolutionary new architecture for the first time in years). I would at least wait for news of the upcoming Nvidia line (say, in a month or two) before making any purchasing decisions. Specs are leaked fairly early and they're pushing for a mid-late Q2 release (Jan-Mar).  

If you really really have your heart set on getting a new card right now there's always this handy guide to look at: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,2491.html

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By me3639
    I have a HIS 4850 and it plays all games on maxed setting at 1680x1050 without any hiccups.
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By torus

Pick up a Radeon 4890 (1gb). They retail for around 220 bucks.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kblt

4890 or gtx 260

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mrhankey
    @Adanux: you could pickup an ATI Hd4870, HD4890 or possibly something from the new 5000 series. Also Nvidia has some good stuff, i won't know how much a GTX 260 cost, but thats a good starting point.
    Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You need to make sure your power supply can handle it though. How many watts is it? Open the case and look on the top side. Then look for a box at the top of the case underneath. On the side it should have a brand name and wattage and model number. Research the model number online and find a power supply calculator and do the math. You might want to upgrade your power supply as well to make sure it doesn't die since new cards take a ton of juice when playing high intense games.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Sushbag

Here you are 
    http://gizmodo.com/5422706/the-graphics-cards-you-should-buy-at-every-price

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.