Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Video card isn't working with windows 8.1.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been messing with my computer all morning and I'm pretty fed up. After the installation, the card worked fine and I was able to play payday 2. However, it crashed somewhere after playing it and once started up again, it won't log in. If I clicked login, the screen will turn black or freeze. I am able To boot into safe mode fine. I Downloaded the drivers and made sure it was the correct one, and yet nothing. I really just want to get this working. If I have to reinstall everything that's fine, I'm just fed up with it. The video card is a Sapphire HD 6750 1gb ddr3. I'm using a 64 bit version of windows 8.1

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Do a System Restore to sometime before playing Payday, then uninstall AMD drivers before installing new ones. Maybe use Driver Sweeper after uninstalling, too.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

Yeah Windows 8.1 fucked me since 1 program I use kept crashing. Had to revert back to 8.0 where it never crashes and is up to date.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: After doing that, I was able to log in. However, a few minutes after, the computer froze and crashed. I wasn't able to mess with the drivers at all. I'm not back at step 1 with it freezing at login.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad: After doing a System Restore, you mean? Can you still get into Safe Mode and uninstall AMD's drivers and then run Driver Sweeper?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And this is why I still use Windows 7.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yes, after a system restore. I connected my screen straight to the motherboard and took out the video card, this works fine. The drivers aren't installed and I'm currently downloading them again hoping it'll fix it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad said:

@believer258: Yes, after a system restore. I connected my screen straight to the motherboard and took out the video card, this works fine. The drivers aren't installed and I'm currently downloading them again hoping it'll fix it.

Good to hear

And this is why I still use Windows 7.

Every OS in existence has isolated issues like this, Windows 7 included. This is more likely the fault of AMD and their subpar drivers than it is Windows 8's fault.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Sure, but a mature OS like Windows 7 unarguably has fewer problems and is more solid. I don't really enjoy having to brave the formative months (sometimes years) of a new OS. I want my stuff to work. Also, I use an AMD card and it works just fine on 7. /shrug

I don't know, I think I make a fair point.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Sure, but a mature OS like Windows 7 unarguably has fewer problems and is more solid. I don't really enjoy having to brave the formative months (sometimes years) of a new OS. I want my stuff to work. Also, I use an AMD card and it works just fine on 7. /shrug

I don't know, I think I make a fair point.

I'm going to bet that his problem had to do with an AMD driver file called "atikmdag.sys", which has apparently caused blue screen issues with users of both Windows 7 and 8.

As for a "mature OS" having less issues... also not necessarily true. Windows Vista is still supported and is more "mature" than Windows 7, but few people will argue that Vista is better than 7.

There's nothing wrong with using 7, but Windows 8 is no less good. Also jumping to the conclusion that "it's the OS's fault" is some pretty bad troubleshooting, especially when the OS has proven itself to people who actually, y'know, use it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Hey man, I gave it a shot because I got it for free through my university. I had nothing but problems so I formatted and went back to 7. I did, y'know, use it.

7 had mature software/drivers/everything because people had plenty of time to develop for it. When I'm doing my schoolwork I don't want to worry about random problems, so I stuck with the platform that had more kinks worked out (and didn't have that awful tablet-esque interface, but that's for another time). That was my point. I never said "it's the OS's fault" anywhere. The fact of the matter is new software/hardware/anything is bound to have problems just by virtue of being new. Everyone that develops for, in this case, a new OS has to learn the nuances of it and quality may suffer in the meantime.

And I've never had problems with ATI drivers in the two-ish years I've had this card. If you feel it's unfair to dump on 8 yet do the same to ATI, that's silly. I've owned both brands of card and neither are perfect. Anyway, I digress. I didn't come in here to argue.

@sexytoad

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

lol at people just coming in here to blast Windows 8 for problems beyond it's control. This is almost always something on the actual video card's end and has to be addressed in a driver update by the manufacturer. I had the same problems with 8.1 and Intel's HD4000, but Intel speedily released a patch one day after 8.1 and everything has been working perfect since. These things aren't Microsoft's problem, it's the manufacturer. Of course new, major updates to an OS will come with driver bugs. So you should definitely be going to AMD's support page or whatever, that's what happened with my problem. People went on the Intel Support Communities, was all like "Yo this graphics chip is broke yo" and they released a patch the next day.

The amount of people who are so fanatically against Windows 8 on the internet is just getting out of hand. It is rock solid and fast. You don't even have to look at the Start Screen ever again if you didn't want to (although I do think it looks quite nice).

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: @subjugation: @believer258: What I ended up doing was giving up and did a fresh install of Windows 8 (where I was previously at). Seems fine now, no idea what caused my PC to mess with 8.1 but I'm not messing with it anymore.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad: Right on duder. Glad to hear it's under control. Sorry you had to do a fresh install, that's always a huge time sink.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Glad you got it fixed, it sounds like it was a driver issue though... just putting that out there... whether you needed to reinstall them or properly uninstalling the AMD drivers via cleansweeper in safe mode or something to that effect.... but it was absolutely a driver issue, I had the same problem... sorry I saw this one too late... glad u got it sorted now though!

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

i've had some weird system halting issues with AMD drivers in the past. Especially when i went from a single card to crossfire setup. Ended up being a driver issue. Corrected using driversweeper, and a lot of reboots.

My method that finally worked for me was:

1. uninstall existing drivers/software from add/remove programs
    2. reboot
    3. run driver sweeper clear all AMD drivers
    4. reboot
    5. run driver sweeper again to double check all were removed
    6. reboot (i know it doesn't make sense to reboot here but this was necessary to have it work for me)
    7. install current drivers

Glad you got it sorted out. I've been happy gaming on my windows 8.1 pro x64 build with my HD7770's. Some issues but nothing terrible like blue screens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.