Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Videocard dying?

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Penderton

This week I've twice gotten a blue screen that said something about display drivers and BIOS while watching youtube/twitch. NFS Rivals experienced some bad graphical glitches with textures disappearing. Fallout New Vegas froze up and wouldn't respond at all and I had to reset the whole PC. I'm 90% sure this is videocard related but think it could also be a hard drive thing. Can probably rule out the power supply since I upgraded that last year in anticipation of getting a R9 290x but then didn't because I would've had to upgrade the motherboard as well.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Graphiocal Glitches and Freezing point more towards the Graphics Card then the HD ... any chance you have an old/spare one you could test?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With symptoms like that first thing I think of is overheating. There are also issues with files like (I think) atimag.dll and atikmdag.sys. I believe one theory was that updating drivers doesn't properly overwrite these files so you are using old versions which causes BSOD. That's just a theory though.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheJohn

Have you tried doing a clean install of the drivers?

Have NFS Rivals and Fallout been acting up before, or did you just get them?

How old is your video card? And the hard drive?

Do you have a way to monitor the temperature?

I just had to replace my own card, and while I'm no expert, we could try to compare notes.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I don't have an old one.

I should delete those files?

Haven't updated drivers recently but I'll try that.

No they haven't acted up before. Had NV since it came out and NFS since December.

They're both nearly 4 years old. Like I said, planned to upgrade last year but only replaced the power supply.

No temp monitoring but I'd imagine it can't be that hot watching youtube vids?

championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By championfetus

Go download BlueScreenView.exe, it reads minidump files and should point you in the direction of the offending Software/Hardware.

CNET Download

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume the pink highlighted ones at the top are the cause? atikmpag.sys dxgkrnl.sys dxgmms1.sys

So what do I do with them? Delete and re-install the drivers and directx?

championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By championfetus

If those files were the source of the BSOD then you can guarantee the GPU or GPU Drivers are the cause here. Consider loading older GPU drivers if you can't find new ones.

I recommend looking for the latest driver updates for your graphics card. Uninstall any current GPU drivers along with Catalyst Control Center before installing new ones. Be prepared to use video output from the MoBo, just in case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.