Viking era games

#1 Posted by sheira (136 posts) -

Anyone knows about a decent game about Viking era/mythology? RPG/Action/Adventure, anything really.

#2 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Well, you can dress up as a viking in Mount and Blade: Warband.

#3 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
#5 Posted by jaymorgoth (242 posts) -

Valkyrie Profile and Odin's Sphere both play around with Norse mythology a lot and are great action/RPG's

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11687 posts) -

The Lost Vikings...sort of...

#7 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Too Human

LOL
#8 Edited by ImBigInJapan (254 posts) -

Oh, ABOUT Vikings.
I was going to say, I didn't think the Viking era was known for good gaming PCs.

There was Rune from 2000. I'm not sure how much Viking myth is actually communicated in the game but it has definite influences.

Age of Mythology had a Norse faction in it.

Oh, and there was a Viking expansion for the original Medieval Total War.

There's nothing from the last few years that I can think of.

#9 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

There is a Viking in LoL who is pretty cool. not viking era obviously, but yo he gets stronger as he takes damage.

#10 Posted by sheira (136 posts) -
@extremeradical said:

" Start here. "

Nice. Didnt know there is a viking page.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

" Viking: Battle for AsgardLil unpolished at times, but a great game. "

@jaymorgoth said:

" Valkyrie Profile and Odin's Sphere both play around with Norse mythology a lot and are great action/RPG's "

Looks good, but I forgot to mentoin that i am looking only for PC games, i dont own any console. :(
#11 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Very few games. Loki is probably the one you're looking for. Its a below average diablo clone, with vikings n stuff.

But even though the other guy is laughing about it, Too Human really does have a great viking feel to it since its all based on norse mythology and I enjoed the game alot. People's expectations were just too ridiculous, it's still a good game.

#12 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Rune is pretty kick ass, or at least it was. Tons of mythology, that any scandinavian can appreciate.

(Psst, we raped and pillaged England...)
#13 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Well it isn't Viking era but it's Viking themed, TES:Skyrim seems like a good choice

#14 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
#15 Posted by Ubik (122 posts) -

Well, you can always look forward to a Thor game when the new movie comes out.  

Oh, wait, you were looking for good Viking-themed games.  My bad.
#16 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

Viking Era or Norse Mythology?   BTW someone should make a God Of War based on Norse mythology,  maybe set God Of War 4 in this universe and start a new trilogy.

#17 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

If you want something based on viking mythology than actual fact, then you cannot beat Rune, that's definitely one of my favorite pc games of that era, I cant still think of a game where you can decapitate your foe, grab his head, use it to taunt his minions and then throw it at them.

#18 Posted by sheira (136 posts) -
@Marz said:
" Viking Era or Norse Mythology?   BTW someone should make a God Of War based on Norse mythology,  maybe set God Of War 4 in this universe and start a new trilogy. "
Both i find quite interesting. I understand they often tend to overlap.
#19 Posted by 1337W422102 (1004 posts) -

Probably not what you're looking for, but Max Payne has a lot of references to Norse mythology.

#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@1337W422102 said:
" Probably not what you're looking for, but Max Payne has a lot of references to Norse mythology. "
roflolz !
#21 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -
#22 Posted by Patman99 (1558 posts) -
#23 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@sheira said:
" @Marz said:
" Viking Era or Norse Mythology?   BTW someone should make a God Of War based on Norse mythology,  maybe set God Of War 4 in this universe and start a new trilogy. "
Both i find quite interesting. I understand they often tend to overlap. "

Well no. "Viking era" isn't really a thing, vikings were a blanket term used for nordic invaders. If there ever was a "viking era" it would be about 100 years before the Cruesades, when the Great Heathen Army was fucking up Europe. There aren't any games about that. There are a lot of Noric mythology games. JRPGs using Nordic mythos not unlike they use Christian mythos, just taking bits here and there and applying it wherever. Every Sting game is steeped in weirdly skewed Nordic myth, as are most Tri-Ace games.
#24 Posted by raiz265 (2233 posts) -

Didn't Age of Mythology have some nordic race?

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

You can play as Sweden in one of the Civ 4 expansions I believe.

#26 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

Skyrim's supposed to have a lot of viking-style environments, buildings and weapons, but that's not out yet. Age of Mythology is good.

#27 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@sheira: Skyrim?Though it comes out 11-11-11.
#28 Posted by sheira (136 posts) -
@1337W422102 said:
" Probably not what you're looking for, but Max Payne has a lot of references to Norse mythology. "
Really? Had no idea. I actually bought Max Payne bundle on steam last week, so....!
#29 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" Well, you can dress up as a viking. "
Fixed it for you.
#30 Edited by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -
#31 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@chrissedoff said:
" @ryanwho said:

" Well no. "Viking era" isn't really a thing, "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age "
Viking era continues to not be a thing. Viking age is a thing. Semantics win!
#32 Posted by 1337W422102 (1004 posts) -
@sheira said:
" @1337W422102 said:
Really? Had no idea. I actually bought Max Payne bundle on steam last week, so....! "
No problem!  They're some of my favourite games; I hope you enjoy them, too!
#33 Posted by sheira (136 posts) -

Thor should be interesting... Anyone knows if it is coming out on PC too?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.