Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

We already need quadcore to run RE5?

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deusdigit

i don't know about the rest of you, but this is kind of annoying to me. i bought a computer to run crysis, and all i half to do now is buy parts for it. well, i guess i'm passing on that because my main intention was to buy the motherboard, and work my way up. now i suppose its rather useless, because resident evil 5 on max settings requires a quad core processor which my socket is not capable of. i thought crysis was more visually demanding, how can this be?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

RE5 runs flawlessly on my dual core + gtx285. It's an excellent port with next to no technical issues and, despite the lack of elaborate graphical options, performance even better than games that were made specifically for PC. Hell, even with my PC being cut down to just 2GB ram because the other 2 fried (waiting for replacements) the game's performance remained rock solid. Great looking and greatly optimised title. Too bad it's not that great but that's for a different thread. Whoever told you it needs a quad core is blatantly wrong. It performs better than Crysis. My PC handles both fine but I can tell RE5 puts less strain to it, and the ram reduction did affect Crysis.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PISTOLcm

Err..RE5 runs fine on max with a dual-core.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deusdigit
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "RE5 runs flawlessly on my dual core + gtx285. It's an excellent port with next to no technical issues and, despite the lack of elaborate graphical options, performance even better than games that were made specifically for PC. Hell, even with my PC being cut down to just 2GB ram because the other 2 fried (waiting for replacements) the game's performance remained rock solid. Great looking and greatly optimised title. Too bad it's not that great but that's for a different thread. Whoever told you it needs a quad core is blatantly wrong. It performs better than Crysis. My PC handles both fine but I can tell RE5 puts less strain to it, and the ram reduction did affect Crysis. "

Actually its on steam and amazon.com system requirements. that's what ticked me off. because there is just no way its visually demanding over crysis.
    bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By bjorno

NOTHING CAN BEST A TWO YEAR OLD PC GAME

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By GunnBjorn

I played it on my trusty X360 a few months ago. 
    I t was a fun ride. 
    No need to play it again on PC.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @deusdigit said:

"Actually its on steam and amazon.com system requirements. that's what ticked me off. because there is just no way its visually demanding over crysis. "

Steam just says Pentium D. That incudes dual core CPUs. Anyway, you could always try the benchmark, you'll see performance is sweet and the game's as beautiful as any PC game (but no, it doesn't have the vast open areas of Crysis, then again, few games do, even PC only games, so expecting every single game to be as well made is a little over the top, of course there will be various games that may look worse, either due to a less optimised engine, or due to less accomplished content, but demand better specs).
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Darkstar614

Flame shield,

Crysis has some SERIOUS problems as a graphical machine. Its extremely taxing on your system even on Medium settings, for ridiculous reasons. And games out now look just as good, and use less resources. Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to play crysis as a GAME and not as a HD movie to just look at, I'd just say 'screw it' to trying to get the hardware to run it.

RE5 runs great on dual core at max settings, I've played it a little and in most scenarios it sticks to about 40 fps for me on a 9800 GT. Dunno why it says quad core, probably just can potentially take advantage of it.

Also, Crysis is old now. But its sort of like "Nothing can kill the grimace" complex in terms of a game being bested by hardware.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

When you look at recommended and required specs, just remember that some dual cores are better than quad cores.  My dual core E8400 is a very good CPU for games.  I have no problem running RE5 full speed, and any hitches I would get would be GPU based.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Black_Raven

I'm willing to bet the performance in a game like RE5 wouldn't differ much from a mid-ranged dual core to a high end quad core.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm running it like 50-80 frames with a dual core and a okay videocard. I don't see the problem, however this game will use as many cores as you have according to one of their interviews. Look even with a dual core, there is no bottlenecking with the framerates at all.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By keyhunter

Maybe you should have updated your PC 2 years ago. Maybe you wouldn't be in this boat!

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @Black_Raven: I was actually surprised at this: It actually uses all 4 cores :)

2010 will be a great year for quad-cores, but Dual-Cores are going to stick around for a while!
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Johnny5

Actually saying you need a quad core as a req is a bit weird at this point as high end dual cores can easily match or slightly surpass Quads in some games. So if you have a reasonably decent Dual I dont see the problem.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By unclejohnny79

well you dont need it, i dont think i have ever used the spare 2 cores on my q6600 

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17  Edited By mrhankey
    @deusdigit: 

No game requires quad-core. Some utilize quad, but there is no reason it needs it.
    MonstroUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By MonstroUK
    @bjorno said:
    " NOTHING CAN BEST A TWO YEAR OLD PC GAME "
    Not when it's running on 3 year old console hardware no.
    mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mthe1337one

i'm almost certain my comp can handle RE5...just that my budget vidcard can't.  otherwise, dual-core shouldn't really be an issue.  i thought quad-core was only needed if you wanted to play the game with that new-fangled stereoscopic 3D stuff.  don't quote me on that though.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By TheHBK

The requirements for games are getting ridiculous even though i see no real benefit of it.  There are no real good games on PC that are not playable on the consoles.  The only one that even comes to mind that is a must play on the PC is Starcraft 2, and thats not out yet and knowing blizzard will not be a system hog.  This is another reasong PC gaming is going down the toilet even though it had a chance to make a comeback, its just the developers are fucking it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.