Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Weird frame rate bug on games, can't find a fix. Any ideas?

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So for the past few months I've been experiencing what seems to be weird frame rate drops in games where I had perfect 60+ before. Started looking into things with a frame counter and it got weirder. My frame rate doesn't actually drop, it just looks like its suddenly running at about 25 fps, while still having over 60 on fraps. It comes and goes for random amounts of time and no video driver updates or reboots seem to fix it. Anyone seen anything like this before?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well, I've hit some snags like this, before. Honestly, the thing that helped me was defragmenting my hdd(s). I would go that route, see if it helps.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Need to see your complete PC specs, and which games you've noticed this on and graphics driver info.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dark

I have that exact problem, its overheating. CPU is probably hitting 80C+, I am about to redo the entire cooling system in the PC. Make sure all the vents are clean of dust and that the heat fins on the CPU heat sink aren't clogged with dust.

::EDIT:: To clarify, when the CPU starts getting too hot it will start changing things to cool itself down, it can cause wierd FPS lags but no actual frame drops. Its strange I know.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds like a heat issue, but that's just a guess based off not-alot of information.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.