Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What do you guys think of Vista?

• 74 results
    Ransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Ransom

7 is much better

TheVilrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By TheVilrak

I got Vista 64bit version when I built my new pc a month or two ago, after a couple of niggely little things I got over at the start (mostly from being used to XP) its been rock solid.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Windows 7 is far, far better than Vista, but I have both installed, as well as a Linux partition.

I use Linux the most, but reboot into Windows 7 or Vista to play games. Even then, though, I only play games on Vista that aren't supported on 7, like PunkBuster games.

After using Windows 7 and Linux as much as I do, Vista leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It seems to be basically Windows XP with shiny effects and a couple interface improvements here and there. One time, Vista randomly decided to clear all the shit out of my Start Menu for no apparent reason, so I had to spend a few hours copying shortcuts around, which was frustrating. I wish I could simply use XP, but my MP3 player and Digital Camera seem to have the inability to be read in XP...

xenoNfluX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By xenoNfluX
    Almak said:
    Vista stopped giving me grief at a certain point so now I'm perfectly fine with it.@xenoNfluX: A thing of note ... [more]
    Yeah, definitely. I knew long before that news came out that it would expire.... its just the nature of Microsoft betas. This is the first Microsoft OS that I'm actually planning on buying... and that's saying a lot about how much I like it.

Thanks for the heads up, though. =)
    wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By wrecks

Stickin' with XP until W7 hits.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By xplodedd

its okay.... i have a

intel e8400 @ 3.00ghz (2 cores)
    4GB DDR3
    Nvidia 9600

and it runs really well

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By warxsnake

vista was great, but windows 7 RC is such a leap forward there's no point in investing in  vista anymore, unless you are the US air force apparently :/

Drepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Drepa

It's been fine for me but if your looking to upgrade wait for windows 7, seems to be the same but use less memory

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I thought it was great until one of my system files went, according to Vista, "missing", and now I can't backup my hard drive.

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By gormers

Ive have yet to install it on my pc, jumped straight from XP, to Win 7 :P

To the user above me: Holy shit 8 gigs of ram.

futureman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By futureman

I used Vista forever and now I'm using the W7 RC. It's essentially the same exact thing in a new suit, hopefully one that reduces the publics bile filled hate spewing towards Vista. The new task bar is awesomesauce, but aside from that a lot of the window resizing functions, libraries, and plethora of system sounds, etc, don't really do anything for me. 

They're essentially the same base platform when you take a look at performance numbers and base functionality.

ingodwetrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By ingodwetrust

I never had any issue with it at all, never understood the complaints.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jiggah
    @ingodwetrust:

Mainly because it was a meme.  I heard so and so about Vista, so it must be true.  The initial launch for Vista had the same issues as the initial launch for XP.  I don't know how old some people are or how tech savvy, but when XP came out it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine.  It was only after about 5 years and multiple service packs that it became sort of stable and even that is a debate in itself.  Both launches suffered because hardware companies couldn't get their acts together to make compatible drivers.  The best example of this is Creative, who basically refused to make compatible drivers for Vista even though a user was able to hack it to work perfectly fine.  The only reason why the change to Windows 7 is so smooth is because a lot of the backbone for it was already done on Vista.  All drivers that are compatible with Vista are also compatible with Windows 7.
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By darkgoth678
    @xenoNfluX said:
    " I'm currently running build 7077 of the Win 7 beta as the primary OS on my gaming PC. I figured I'd give it a shot instead of spending $100 on an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium.Win 7 is stupidly rock solid. I've had next to no issues with anything... with any issues stemming from my lack of familiarity with anything post-XP. There is the issue of certain downloaded drivers not installing properly, but that's a non-issue as the OS picked up 100% of my hardware. Nvidia already has solid beta drivers out for Win 7... unlike before Vista.The only real issue I can see with Windows 7 as a primary gaming OS right now is the fact that PunkBuster won't support it. If you have any games that use it, such as CoD4/5, BF2, etc., you won't be able to play online on PB enabled servers. Beyond that, I've had no issues at all. Gaming performance is amazing.I'm currently running...Shuttle sp35p2v2Intel E8500 C2D8GB DDR2 OCZ RAMEvga GTX 2601TB WD Caviar Black "
    Dam, that GTX 260 fit in the shuttle? wow...

yeah I Have Vista ULtimate on my rig and I honestly dont have any problems against Vista. I'm not going to go out and say that it's a good OS, but I won't say its a bad one. As far as speed, Its pretty fast on my rig. check my mini Bio for my specs

I will be upgrading to Windows 7 though =P w/out hesitation.
    xenoNfluX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By xenoNfluX
    @darkgoth678 said:
    Dam, that GTX 260 fit in the shuttle? wow...

Yeah, its a pretty tight fit, but no cooling issues whatsoever. The only issue I had was the P4 connector on the motherboard sits directly under the cooler on the card... so I ended up having to mod a P4 extension cable (not the cable from the PSU, don't want to void any warranties, after all)... I had to trim at least 1/8" off the connector so the card could sit down. The video card didn't sit in the slot flat at first, but it did work.... I pried the motherboard up ever so slightly and got the card to lock in the slot and everything's just fine with only the slightest bit of flex in the motherboard. Talk about a fat guy in a little coat... this is one stout machine in such a small case. lol
    InsanePotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By InsanePotato

Vista is great with modern hardware. If you haven't taken the plunge yet though you should hold out for Windows 7.... and maybe its first service pack a year down the track.

1_879_116_9420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By 1_879_116_9420

Try the free Windows 7 release candidate, you get it for a whole year, and then buy 7 itself down the road. I know it kind of just looks like Vista, but just in performance it is so much better, more comfortable.

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By Pkshields

Another one for Windows 7. Been using it since beta, and had no issues with it at all. Didn't even need any drivers on my laptop!

gamerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gamerover

Vista is fine especially when compared to XP at this stage since most of the annoyances (eg. Driver problems, bugs) have been fixed. But especially from a performance standpoint, Windows 7 is the only way to go at this stage.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#70  Edited By Lazyaza

XP is still awesome for gaming, Vista was a joke for gaming, utterly killed performance and should be avoided at all costs imo. I'll be getting  Windows 7 as soon as its out of beta and I can afford the darn thing.  Haven't done a system rebuild in years. :O

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By asurastrike

Vista isn't nearly as bad as the hype says. I use it on my laptop and besides a few dumb decisions (I accidentally delete my trash bin all the time), it's fine.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By oDawg
    Hell no. Your system is a gaming beast in XP, and it will only suffer in Vista. But it won't suffer tooooo bad. I'm running an E6750 @3.4ghz, with 4 gigs of ram, and a gtx260.  I lost some frames going to vista, but its not that bad. With an 8800gt I wouldn't want to lose 3-4fps in crysis!

DX10 is complete horsecrap. I didn't see any difference in anything.

Vista gives you nothing, looks the same, feels the same...  So on the other side, why not... i guess.

@Colonel_Cool
    said:
    " So it seems that most people here have been using Vista for some time now, although I have been sticking with my tried and true copy of XP. I know most of Vista's problems have been solved since its launch, but I never really had a need to buy a copy, since I would just have to go through the hassle of backing up my data, reformating, installing a new OS, reinstalling drivers, service packs, etc. Now that I bought a new hard drive, however, I'm gonna have to do all that stuff anyway, so I thought I might as well install Vista Ultimate 64 bit on it (I'm getting it from a friend). I'm mostly concerned about the kind of performance drop in games and how fast/responsive the OS is compared to XP. I have a q6600, 8800gt, and 3 gigs of ram, so I don't anticipate anything too drastic. What should I expect? Is it worth using over XP? "

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Kohe321

I think it's okay. I'm using XP right now, though. Looking forward to windows 7!

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By j0rdan

An update to an earlier post of mine.

I said before I dont game in Vista, well now I do.
    I use to have a duel boot system, which i gamed in xp and worked in vista.

Well now im on single boot, Vista only, all my games are on here and all run just as well as the did in XP.
    games like L4D, CoH, Grid, TF2, The Sims 3 all are new(ish) games and all run just as nice with just as high settings.

In fact I have noticed Company of Heroes runnning alot better with higher settings.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By captain_clayman

kinda lame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.