What good PC games are there?

#1 Posted by Lighty64 (6 posts) -

Recently I have started PC gaming a lot more than before, so now I'm not really on any of my other consoles. Although I do know a lot of PC games, I was wondering if you could give me ideas for what you think is a brilliant PC game, as there are simply so many out there, so all of those alternative and niche games that you think are good and worth playing/buying. Cheers!

#2 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

You're asking a pretty broad question there, could you narrow it down a little?

Like what genres you are into?

What specs your computer has?

#3 Posted by VierasTalo (857 posts) -
#4 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

I'm going to assume the OP is referring to games that are only on PC, or games that are made to be PC games, and also that he's referring to more modern or recent games. So I'm going to throw out a few of my favourite strategy games; Crusader Kings II, Total War: Shogun 2, and Civilization V are all among my absolute favourite games from the past five years. Also Mount&Blade is dope as fuuuck.

A good starter pack for a PC gamer would be Team Fortress 2 (free-to-play and awesome), Torchlight II (brand new release, cheap, and awesome), StarCraft II, Civ V, and The Witcher. All top quality games that are quintessential PC games, and you can get them fairly cheaply these days.

#5 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins! Mass Effect! Bulletstorm is about 3 times better on PC, because of the precision of a mouse and keyboard. Dawn of War 2 is really awesome. Killing Floor is great with friends. The Witcher games are good, but if you aren't deep into RPGs and capable of looking past jank and all that, the first one is probably something you can skip. Tiny and Big Grandpa's Leftovers is really awesome. Just get on Steam, try some demos, browse the genres you like.

#6 Posted by EpicSteve (6494 posts) -

Quake is pretty rad.

#7 Edited by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

I think you've underestimated just how many PC games there are...

Anyway, some general things to start with:

• Download Steam, if you haven't already - heaps of games, also regular big sales. Currently all Total War games are on sale.
  • Check out GOG - it's mainly older games (also, some newer indie stuff). You can find a lot of great classics there - most of which are either $6 or $10. I'd recommend Planescape: Torment.
  • Check out some bundles - Humble Bundle, Indie Royale, Indie Gala. These bundles are often hit or miss, but you can get a lot of games for not a lot of money.
  • There are also a lot of great free games; have a look through over this thread. In terms of free games, I'd recommend Super Crate Box.
  • If you have new hardware and want something that will push your computer to the limits, try Metro 2033.
  • Also, in general, I'd recommend Binding of Isaac.
#8 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

Tetris

#9 Edited by Lighty64 (6 posts) -

Ok i am willing to try out most games to be honest, the main ones I probably wouldn't go for are racing games, although if you really think its good then suggest by all means. or you can just put your favourite PC games and ill take a look at each. But thank you for your suggestions anyway xD and yes please games that are solely on PC.

#10 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Lighty64: Only on PC is a silly thing to constrict this by, there are a lot of games that aren't even made for PC first, yet are still a lot better there. Bulletstorm is a great example of the game feeling a lot better on PC for a number of reasons, beyond just the visuals and framerate. Plus games like Dragon Age are fundamentally different. Witcher 2 is also on 360 now, but is a PC game without a doubt.

Again, it'd be nice to know what kind of PC you're using, because otherwise you're going to get suggestions like Witcher 2 or Metro and that's gunna be hard to play without a good rig. BUt there are lots of awesome games that don't even need a great rig.

#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

What good PC games aren't there? I mean, You probably want to play everything you missed. So if you gave us a range you are looking for, or types of games you like.

I like RPG's so I would recommend Balder's Gate 2. A lot of action, but at the same time a real thinking mans game.

You could also try some point and click adventure games like Still Life, and The Book of Unwritten Tales. Pretty much no action at all, and 100% thinking mans game.

#12 Posted by GunstarRed (5308 posts) -

Quake 2! The Binding of Isaac! Machinarium!

#13 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Minecraft!

#14 Posted by believer258 (12005 posts) -

The Witcher, Battlefield 3, and Trackmania 2.

#15 Posted by Lighty64 (6 posts) -

Ok at the moment I only have a laptop, although at some time in the near future I hope to get a proper gaming desktop computer. As far as I am aware my laptop has 4 GB of RAM, a 512 MB graphics card. I'm really not all that knowledgeable on PC's in general in terms of its hardware and overall capabilities, as you can probably tell. Would you say it's probably best to get a desktop rather than a laptop for gaming generally?

#16 Posted by Butano (1746 posts) -

Company of Heroes. One of, if not, THE best RTS games out there. Right next to Age of Empires II and Rise of Nations.

Crusader Kings II is a fantastic Game of Thrones grand strategy game as well, but be sure to watch the quick look to see at how it plays, as it has a bit of a learning curve. Nowhere near Paradox's other games, but it's great once you know what to do after 4 or so hours of not knowing what the hell is going on :D

#17 Posted by Inquisitor_Sif (58 posts) -

It is easy, laptop is for work, desktop is base station and entertaining hub. Anyway, if you don't have a desktop then grab a console. It's cheaper than building a gaming-rig.

#18 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

gog.com has lots of classics for cheap.

#19 Posted by Leeroi (29 posts) -

I dont think you can go wrong with free to play Tribes Ascend or Age of Empires Online. If you are willing to invest a small amount of money, I think The Witcher 1 is very rad.

#20 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

Wii Sports

#21 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@believer258 said:

The Witcher, Battlefield 3, and Trackmania 2.

Trackmania 2 is apparently pretty much a ghost town now. Jeff was saying that their weekly server updates has killed the community.

#22 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@Butano said:

Company of Heroes. One of, if not, THE best RTS games out there.

So. GOOD. Can't wait for the sequel.

For OP: Dota 2, Counterstrike, Battlefield 2/3, Team Fortress, Sins of a Solar Empire, Company of Heroes, minecraft,

#23 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

pc has no games

#24 Posted by bombsaway (2 posts) -

Tie Fighter, Nethack, Deus Ex

or TF2 if you don't like playing gamse made a decade ago...

#25 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -
#26 Posted by Djnuttty (138 posts) -

New York, New York!

#27 Posted by Christoffer (1868 posts) -

@Lighty64: So are you mostly into multiplayer games or single player experiences? Shooters or RPG's? RTS's or Adventure? Multiplatform or not? etcetera etcetera. Your question is quite broad. To me, the community is really important. That's why I played Diablo 3 for so long. Jump in for a few hours, have a blast and talk with every poor stranger that dares to join.

If you can find a good server with decent people I would recomend Battlefield 3 every day. So much fun whatever mood you're in.

#28 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

ALL OF THEM

#29 Posted by wrecks (2287 posts) -

UT99.

#30 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

I can't recommend the Witcher and Total War franchises enough.

#31 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

SimGolf??

#32 Posted by Zelyre (1224 posts) -

Freespace 2.

#33 Posted by Razorlution (186 posts) -

Lets approach this with a little more broader scope, FTL is a great starter game that can be as hard as nails, Torchlight 2 gives you the playability of Diablo 3 at a third of the price, Trine for its beautiful graphics and puzzle action (on top of local co-op). Thats a great start for 3 games that will keep you busy for a while.

Also, check out Steam and the Steam sales, lots of deals to be had and some great indie titles that one just can't get on a console.

#34 Posted by fujikay (6 posts) -

Maybe you can try Knight Age and Dragon Nest!!!

#35 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@Lighty64 said:

Ok at the moment I only have a laptop, although at some time in the near future I hope to get a proper gaming desktop computer. As far as I am aware my laptop has 4 GB of RAM, a 512 MB graphics card. I'm really not all that knowledgeable on PC's in general in terms of its hardware and overall capabilities, as you can probably tell. Would you say it's probably best to get a desktop rather than a laptop for gaming generally?

Unless that laptop was explicitly marketed to you as a gaming laptop of some kind, it's likely you won't be able to play modern 3D games very well, if at all. Heat dissipation is a very big problem for high powered components in laptops, so you have to really pay through the nose for a laptop that can match even a modest gaming desktop. Gaming laptops are a rich person's toy, often very bulky with very short battery life. Not that they don't have their uses, depending on your situation. I loved my Clevo when I had it. 

Graphical memory and RAM are not the most important factors either. It's more about GPU model and CPU specs, which you'll need to check on. Keep that in mind if you're following any of the recommendations here. You should be able to play GOG.com-style classics, modern indie releases and undemanding games, and some older stuff like Source games and the Half Life series (HL1 & 2 & the episodes being my strong recommendations btw) since they scale well. Definitely check out Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout if you like RPGs, they'll be no problem. But even the first Witcher game, from 2007, might be too much for your lappy since it was a very demanding game for the time.

If you're interested in playing big name titles and the common multi-format, console port kind of titles on PC, getting a gaming desktop is kind of unavoidable.

#36 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

So we are playing a quick game of:

What's new on steam and gog.com this month?!

#37 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

Well....time to destroy someone's life i guess.

Civilization V is pretty good, even better with the expansion.

Or you could go try out WoW, millions of people played that for a reason, and i think you can play for free up to a certain level or something, not to mention all the people going back to it right now cause of the latest expansion. Yeah, i really am trying to ruin your life.

I'd recommend League of Legends, but then you'll probably never want to play games online ever again, so i'm going to recommend avoiding it for now.

#38 Edited by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I'd recommend League of Legends, but then you'll probably never want to play games online ever again, so i'm going to recommend avoiding it for now.

League is a bad game, run by bad people. If you are going to play any ARTS, go with DotA 2. It might be a bit difficult to wrangle a beta invite if you're new to the whole PC gaming thing and haven't built up your connections so to say, but it shouldn't be that hard really. Plus, you don't have to deal with things like "play 50 games to unlock the character who everybody who paid 20 bucks for got months ago, who gets nerfed to the ground at that exact moment" because all the heroes are free.

But mostly grab Steam. Seriously. Steam is your new house, as it were.

#39 Posted by trentreznov52 (2 posts) -

Dishonored but too short!

#40 Edited by Moaz13 (18 posts) -

Vampire The Masquerade Blodlines is an amazing game, probably my best game of all time... But it is unstable as HELL

#41 Edited by LunarJetman (110 posts) -

Medieval 2: Total War is a must play if you have even the slightest interest in strategy games. Might be a good idea to start "vanilla" first and then go on to a good mod like Stainless Steel.

#42 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -

Quake, Wolfenstein 3D, The Legend of Kyrandia Trilogy, Vessel, Chex Quest.

#43 Posted by EddyGamerLP (6 posts) -

If you only take the last month, there has been a ton of great game:

Torchlight 2

Borderlands 2

Dishonored

XCom Enemy Unknown

Elemental: Fallen enchantress

and a ton more ...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.