What OS do you run?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#401 Posted by Desiant (11 posts) -

I run Windows XP with SP3. I've been contemplating about upgrading to Windows 7 for a while, but the insane prices for it are off-putting.

I know I have to eventually, though, so I'm trying to do so as soon as possible, but finding a copy below the $300 mark for Professional is like finding a needle in a haystack.

#402 Posted by blastershift (65 posts) -

Would only run Windows 7 SP1 - 64Bit

Also dosbox runs everything else just fine from the before time, so nothing to worry there.

#403 Posted by joeyq (4 posts) -

I run windows 7 32bit.

#404 Edited by Pikawai (135 posts) -

I just made the transition from XP 32-Bit to W7 64-Bit a few weeks, so far so good.

#405 Posted by vighnesh11 (15 posts) -

Windows 7 ULTIMATE genuine sp1

#406 Posted by coolta (2 posts) -

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

#407 Posted by WLF68 (14 posts) -

Win 7 64bit. I accidentally on purpose clicked "other" :D

#408 Posted by Samael2138 (233 posts) -

I'm currently using Vista 32-bit, but will soon be using Win 7 64bit

#409 Posted by seagaia (10 posts) -

my processor is 64-bit, so i'm running windows 7 (64-bit architecture).

i was a bit more of a newbie when i installed ubuntu, so for some reason i have the 10.04 32-bit version. but all is well.

the windows tends to freeze sometimes within the first 30 minutes of booting. ubuntu takes 3-4 tries to start usually but then runs smoothly. not really sure why.

#410 Posted by wewantsthering (1565 posts) -

Someone should do a new version of this that includes Windows 8 and OSX Lion.

#411 Posted by Amafi (767 posts) -

Running windows 8 on this laptop (running off a VHD, too much of a pansy to replace 7 yet), ubuntu 12.04LTS on the other laptop, and windows 7 on my main workstation/gaming rig.

#412 Posted by predator (352 posts) -
#413 Posted by bemusedchunk (692 posts) -

Win7 x64.

I tried playing with 8 around Feb when the (i think it was) dev preview was out. Has anyone played with the consumer preview?

I didn't like what I saw - its much more suited for a laptop/tablet hybrid (read: surface).

#414 Edited by SpartanHoplite (384 posts) -

@Azteck said:

W7 all the way

^ !!!!

#415 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2473 posts) -

Linux Mint 13 and Win 7 x64 on my main machine, Linux Mint 12 on the secondary and Ubuntu 12.04 on the netbook. Linux for work, Windows for gaming. Best of both worlds.

#416 Posted by spoonfreak (10 posts) -

So I am finally going to take the plunge and swap from Windows XP to Windows 7, but I'm seriously worried, given my relatively limited technical knowledge, that I am going to screw something up. Sleeping Dogs has finally made me want to change, because I'd like to play it, and then I'll also be able to check out the DX11 features of some other games, and also play BF3, which I never got to play.

As I understand it, switching from xp to 7 requires a complete restart, in other words I will have to reinstall every single program and bit of hardware like graphics cards etc? Also, I had to spend a long time on the phone with my line provider to get my adsl working at home, will this OS switch mean i will have to set up my internet again from scratch as well? WIll my modem reset as well?

And what's the best way of keeping as much as I can - settings, saves etc - through some kind of backup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#417 Posted by therealnelsk (277 posts) -

My PC has an Arch Linux/Win 7 Pro-N dual boot setup. If I could, I would run Arch for everything, but I'm a developer and Visual Studio is too awesome not to use (professionally and in hobby projects). Obviously I have steam on there as well, and I'm my library is getting to a pointer where I don't think I'll buy another console. PC gaming is just too awesome, and with it hooked up to my TV, I'm seeing very little reason to use a console ever.

#418 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Vista, unfortunately.

#419 Posted by InYourBrains (8 posts) -

windows 8 professional.

#420 Posted by Shepard_Commander (7 posts) -

Since i like to play games i run windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

#421 Edited by bybeach (4826 posts) -

Windows 7 64 bit. I am interested in Windows 8 more for what I will hear about it than a near install.

I had Vista several years ago, and I swear it reached out with a knife and killed my PC. Actually some virus got so embedded in the Vista OS I could not get rid of it. It came back after wiping out and reinstalling, and with a lot of difficulty wiping out the old files. Somehow I believe the virus came over, or Vista was just that wide open. I had Microsoft essentials, then a paid(AVG) Anti virus software did a bit better. Then it got beat down also.. It was the best feeling when I wiped out the whole HDD

#422 Posted by MEsoJD (2 posts) -

Of course the best os to come out so far, Windows 7. :D

#423 Posted by believer258 (11902 posts) -

Seven right now. I hope to go for 8 as soon as I can.

#424 Posted by MAGZine (437 posts) -

Windows 8 RTM. And loving it.

#425 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

Windows 7 64bit for games, trying to get a Ubuntu dual boot working for doing actual work.

#426 Posted by fujikay (6 posts) -

still Windows XP ~

#427 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

I use MS DOS. But really I still use XP

#428 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

This poll is insane. Windows ME and 2000 are options, but you haven't included a single Linux distro?

#429 Posted by paulwade1984 (478 posts) -

this poll is a joke. yeah i'm sure 7.4% of people run linux. lol.

everybody likes to think they are so cool and alternative.

#430 Posted by echomateria (3 posts) -

Windows 8 primary, also have a Windows 7 installed on another partition as backup.

#431 Posted by Ben_H (3355 posts) -

Wow this thread is still kicking? It is so old at this point. It was from like 2009 if I remember right, before Windows 7 was even out (hence why it says Windows 7 Release Candidate) 

My answer actually switched. I went from mainly using Windows 7 to Linux Mint, back to Windows 7, and now to OSX. I vastly prefer OSX to Windows 7 and if OSX could run games at the capacity Windows 7 does I would never use anything else.

#432 Posted by jeffrud (386 posts) -

Lubuntu 12.04 primary, Windows 7 secondary (damn you XCOM).

#433 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

Windows 8

#434 Posted by Omegus (30 posts) -

Ubuntu 12.10 and ARCH.

#435 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

Dual-booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10. Both serve me well, the latter for a bunch of development work and crazy convenient stuff I need to do without paying money for any type of software that does it on Windows.

#436 Posted by Grillbar (1825 posts) -

7 since i hated vista and allready had to get a new os.

#437 Posted by gaminghooligan (1443 posts) -

my gaming rig runs win7 but my first machine uses ubuntu

#438 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Windows 8 and Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

#439 Edited by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -
#440 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

OS X. Love it!

#441 Edited by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

Fedora* (Linux distribution). Was buying a new laptop and had the option to opt out of Windows 7 (saving around $100), so I slapped on Fedora, and I'm really impressed with it so far! I would never recommend my mom (or anyone not tech savvy) getting it, but for my use case it's perfect (programming, writing, surfing the web etc.).

Edit: *Fedora 17.

#442 Posted by Mcfart (1624 posts) -

WINDOWS ME BITCH!

It basically was for people that feel like they don't get enough of the BSOD.

#443 Posted by MrDowntempo (9 posts) -

Win 7. I also dual boot Linux Mint 14. It's an Ubuntu based distro so I'll be able to use Steam there too soon. I can play some games on linux like FTL and Binding of Isaac. A lot of stuff from the humble bundles can be played on linux too. I gotta keep my Windows 7 around to get serious gaming done however.

#444 Posted by LilithGamer (20 posts) -

On my old HP laptop I still run Winsdow XP, still my favorite Windows for some reasons.

On my Republic of Gamers I use Windows 7 but I consider to upgrade for Winsdows 8. Do you guys recommend Windows 8? Does it worth the extra fees?

#445 Posted by onegoodlogan (9 posts) -

Gaming PC/Photo Editing Rig - Windows 8 (My first legitimate copy of Windows in YEARS thanks to the $15 promotion.)

Laptop - Mac OS X Mountain Lion

I really want to get my Desktop dual-booting and properly Hackintosh'd. I haven't had much luck getting that up and running though, I'll be trying again next month after more research.

#446 Posted by cutyoface (544 posts) -

Windows 7 64bit

#447 Posted by MB (12389 posts) -

This poll really should have been closed a long time ago...Windows 7 RC is on there, WIndows 8 isn't...if someone wants to create a new one, be my guest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.